British university educated engineer Jarno Smeets claims to have achieved birdlike flight with a set of man-made wings in a video that has spread rapidly around the internet.

In a video shot at a park in the Hague on March 18, Mr Smeets is seen using his arms to flap the wings as he appears to successfully achieve take-off, flight and landing.
“I have always dreamed about this. But after eight months of hard work, research and testing it all payed off,” Mr Smeets said on his YouTube page.

Claiming to have based his bird-like contraption on sketches from his grandfather, the project can be traced from its origins on the Dutch mechanical engineer's website.
After studying at the University of Coventry, Mr Smeets claims to have worked with neuromechanics expert Bert Otten to create a design based on the mechanics used in robotic prosthetics which helps to give his muscles extra strength.

However, according to the former Coventry student, his own body strength was only capable of providing five per cent of the necessary power so to make up the shortfall he fitted extra motors to the wing suit.
When he landed after the 60-second flight, he said: “At one moment you see the ground moving away, and then suddenly you’re free, a really intense feeling of freedom. The true feeling of flying. A ******* magical moment. The best feeling I have felt in my life.”

However, the video has prompted a wealth of online speculation as to whether the flight test is indeed genuine.
One eagle-eyed viewer has pointed to the sudden appearance of sunglasses on the person adjusting Mr Smeets' camera before take off as proof that the success of the wing suit may owe more to clever editing techniques than mechanical engineering.
But, another online viewer makes the point, "I don't know anyone who would put those costs into a youtube video just for the hell of it."
Others seem happy to accept the video as a clever piece of fakery and a wonderful piece of entertainment.

What does the pit think?

Link:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/weirdnewsvideo/9157973/Dutch-engineer-flies-using-custom-built-human-bird-wings-in-viral-video.html
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by angusfan16
Someone better tell Spiderman....

Don't think I can contact spiderman, But I turned on the bat signal.

(Invalid img)

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by devourke
Seems like it would be tiring to keep that up

says he used motors to help power the wings

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by neidnarb11890
Just don't fly too close to the sun lol amirite?

I see what you did there...
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Would be a cool way to get into outdoor gigs without paying... Groundbreaking shit if real.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Just don't fly too close to the sun lol amirite?

lolIcarus.

Anyways, OT: I think this is fantastic, though I really wonder why no one bothered to attempt this before. It seems simple enough.

Personally, I think it'd be pretty badass to show up to where I'm going using those babies; plus, the upper body strength it would give you would be amazing.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
says he used motors to help power the wings

Yurr, but he's still pumping away the whole time that he's up there. I wouldn't want to stay up ten seconds too long and then be too weak to slow down for the landing.