Hey UGC My names Michael and I'm a junior in high school, I've been playing guitar and I've gotten pretty good but I was wondering what colleges should I apply for after high school? I want to Major in Guitar Performance and maybe do a double major with Music Business. I am already looking at Juilliard and Berklee, please give your opinion and perhaps a link to the colleges site. (I am located in the Virginia so schools in the US are preferred) My music style is Metal (melodic) but I could do classical or rock and roll.
Van Halen M
Last edited by Van Halen M at Mar 22, 2012,
McDonalds doesn't really care where you get your degree from.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
UMass Amherst has a really good jazz program, most of my friends are in it and they're all incredible musicians. It might not be exactly what you think you want to do right now, but you should give it a shot, even as a backup.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

In your case, I'd recommend not applying to any. Sorry.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
From what you've said....Berklee seems to be your best bet. But with a comment like Juliard I would imagine you really don't know what you're talking about. Get some SERIOUS chops and learn to read well then consider auditioning for Berklee. I got in when I was applying for colleges.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Van Halen M
Hey UGC My names Michael and I'm a junior in high school, I've been playing guitar and I've gotten pretty good but I was wondering what colleges should I apply for after high school? I want to Major in Guitar Performance and maybe do a double major with Music Business. I am already looking at Juilliard and Berklee, please give your opinion and perhaps a link to the colleges site. (I am located in the US so schools in the US are preferred) My music style is Metal (melodic) but I could do classical or rock and roll.

It doesn't matter if you play melodic metal. If you don't know how to play classical guitar (different from just playing classical) or jazz, you don't have a chance in Julliard or Berklee as a guitarist. It would help if we knew what state you're from. I live around some good local music schools.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

If you get into a music college it doesn't matter what kind of music you play. You have to either love Jazz or Classical because those are "proper" genre's apparently. According to music schools anyways
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Mar 21, 2012,
To be fair, he does have a chance at Berklee if he's VERY good. They're more open to contemporary styles and were quite receptive to my fingerstyle. Albeit it's rather close to classical and I also play classical.

EDIT: To anyone of you making the jazz and classical comments that's bogus. Some music schools, yes of course. If you want to go to a school deeply rooted in tradition like North Texas, Michigan or Juliard or ff you want to go to grad school you better be into theory, classic and modern symphonic and chamber music too. But for an undergraduate degree a lot of schools, especially liberal arts colleges, offer programs which are quite receptive to a multitude of approaches.

NOT TO MENTION most of those places offer a great double majoring program so you can have easy alternatives but still study music.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 21, 2012,
Cal State Northridge has a great program if you can get in. Also, the conservatory at Rochester, and I heard Oberlin is good as well.

You can really do some non-jazz or classical stuff at Northridge though, as well as at Berklee. That's why I recommend looking heavily into those. I've had friends graduate from both and they're fantastic players.

EDIT:I would also recommend really reading and not being offended by what Xiaoxi has said. Music school might not be the best path for you and your music passion. It certainly wasn't for me (even if I had been good enough at the time to get in), and I'm happier for not doing a bunch of music stuff I might have hated.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Last edited by kaptkegan at Mar 21, 2012,
This pops up all the time and it just amazes me how little thought the OP's put into this shit.

Do you really want to spend 100+ grand "studying" metal guitar?

You guys always put metal first for some reason, and then almost like an afterthought, you say "oh but you know I guess classical or jazz or whatever is ok too". Clearly, you have no experience with either of these disciplines, and all of a sudden you want to commit 4 years to it?

"Music Business". Let me guess, you want a "legitimate" degree to back up your useless metal guitar shred degree right? Do you have any idea what a music business major actually entails? Have you ever shown any interest or done anything that even resembles business? Somehow I doubt it.

Sorry kid, better stop half assing things like this, especially if you even have a remote genuine interest in professional music, where there is absolutely no room for this kind of lazy shit.

Quote by theogonia777
In your case, I'd recommend not applying to any. Sorry.

Best advice

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 21, 2012,
My guitar teacher at a community college went to Berklee. He said he doesn't make enough money only teaching, so he does performances for business dinners/meetings.

My suggestion would be to get a real degree then take music classes as a hobby/for fun. It's what I'm doing.
Quote by Xiaoxi
This pops up all the time and it just amazes me how little thought the OP's put into this shit.

You guys always put metal first for some reason, and then almost like an afterthought, you say "oh but you know I guess classical or jazz or whatever is ok too". Clearly, you have no experience with either of these disciplines, and all of a sudden you want to commit 4 years to it?

Dude, metal is just liek classical music. They both use lots of theory & scales & stuff. Shredding is just like Bach.

Or a more practical music-related degree, if you feel like you'd like that. But depending on where you are, you can probably find a decent state school for music like I did. Last thing a music major needs is debt. Give it time, and if you want to do music, don't just go for performance, get a more practical degree like education or therapy.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Sorry kid, better stop half assing things like this, especially if you even have a remote genuine interest in professional music, where there is absolutely no room for this kind of lazy shit.

Calm down he's just a junior in high school. I didn't know anything about really any college until I was a senior when I was actively looking and applying for college. Right now I'm very happy at the University of Illinois as an engineer. He could be just starting his search.

If you want to start a band, you don't need a degree. It may help to go to college for business and then if it's possible try to concentrate in music business. You should be able to find other people with an interest in starting a band while you're there. Understand that nobody cares if their favorite band went to college when they're listening to their music or at their concert. They just care if the music sounds good.

If you want to study music theory, there are a lot of resources online (you're on a site that should help right now). You may be able to take a music theory for non music majors class or double major in business and music. If you can find a competent guitar teacher, they should be able to help you learn music theory as well. In either case, keep an open mind and make sure you think carefully about all this.
For a school like Julliard, you gotta be able to fit in with these guys that are competing in GFA competitions. Those guys are f*cking insane.
Quote by Xiaoxi

"Music Business". Let me guess, you want a "legitimate" degree to back up your useless metal guitar shred degree right? Do you have any idea what a music business major actually entails? Have you ever shown any interest or done anything that even resembles business? Somehow I doubt it.

Best advice

this.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by kratos379
Calm down he's just a junior in high school. I didn't know anything about really any college until I was a senior when I was actively looking and applying for college. Right now I'm very happy at the University of Illinois as an engineer. He could be just starting his search.

Xiaoxi actually goes to Berklee, his input is probably the most valuable so far...
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

hang on, the question is, what do you want to do after college? that will determine which one is good to go to, if any.
---
You don't have to be a Chris Broderick, but pretty close. You should be able to rip it up on classical guitar while reading sheet music, NOT tabs. You may enjoy guitar now, but 4 years will make you... better, but it'll become less of a hobby and more of a daily drill session.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
When I was a senior, I was primarily interested in applying to the conservatory at Oberlin and Northwestern. For music, I was mostly interested in Oberlin. I would still like to go there, really, but I'm not going to.
My God, it's full of stars!
Don't, get a worthwhile degree.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Axelfox
Musicians Institute?

http://www.mi.edu/

This is also a decent option since this thread needs some shred of positivity, jesus. My first teacher went there and my current instructor was an instructor there for a while. Heard nothing but good things, not to mention Paul Gilbert went there for a while too.

Though I do strongly recommend a double major in something else unless you plan on doing education.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by kaptkegan
Cal State Northridge has a great program if you can get in. Also, the conservatory at Rochester, and I heard Oberlin is good as well.

You can really do some non-jazz or classical stuff at Northridge though, as well as at Berklee. That's why I recommend looking heavily into those. I've had friends graduate from both and they're fantastic players.

EDIT:I would also recommend really reading and not being offended by what Xiaoxi has said. Music school might not be the best path for you and your music passion. It certainly wasn't for me (even if I had been good enough at the time to get in), and I'm happier for not doing a bunch of music stuff I might have hated.

I almost went there.
I started at Pierce Jr. College and was planning on transferring to CSUN, but had to drop out (I needed to eat).
I used to live across the street from CSUN. On a horse ranch. Its now an apartment complex
Google map this : 17809 Kinzie St, Los Angeles, CA 91325
Than brown apartment complex was where the ranch was
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 21, 2012,