I'm not sure how much truth there is in this, but here's a potential fairytale that I've been told and have believed for several years, thought I'd run it past some better experienced people...

What I heard was that famous guitar style copies (such as the Les Paul, in this example) from Japan around the 70's and 80's can often be incredibly good quality guitars, pretty rare, and pretty valuable. Apparently Japanese companies essentially just copied the guitars that Gibson were starting to produce over there but did it all to a very good standard, so getting one of these could be a very good find.

It seems believable, but also seems like it could easily be a load of rubbish... Any opinions?

Right now I'm looking at picking up one of these guitars, a Les Paul copy from the '70s, it's a "Columbus Series 2" made in Japan. I've heard some good things about these guitars, I'm just wondering if it's really such a good find? I'm still gonna get the guitar regardless, just curious to see if this fairytale is true or not..?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Your sig says you already own one, and that you like it, a lot, it looks like you already figured it out yourself.

EDIT: Well, it was there...
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I saw it after I'd posted, and realised how it looked :L I do own one, but it was my first guitar and a gift, so I don't really know much about it and the love for it is more sentimental than anything I'm looking at this new one which is confirmed from 1970s and definitely Japanese, as new, and only £150 :P It sounds great and it very well built, so I know it's a good buy, I'd just like to see if there's any truth to the "Japanese copies are amazing!!" thing... I know it won't be true for all of them, but it sounds like it's a majority thing?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

I have a Tokai Love Rock, from the 70's, beats every new Gibson I've played, (I haven't played any old ones, or any signature models).

other brands to look into are:
Greco
Burny
Edwards
---
Quote by makutoid
I saw it after I'd posted, and realised how it looked :L I do own one, but it was my first guitar and a gift, so I don't really know much about it and the love for it is more sentimental than anything I'm looking at this new one which is confirmed from 1970s and definitely Japanese, as new, and only £150 :P It sounds great and it very well built, so I know it's a good buy, I'd just like to see if there's any truth to the "Japanese copies are amazing!!" thing... I know it won't be true for all of them, but it sounds like it's a majority thing?

The expensive ones are good. They're the ones worth having. The vast majority are plywood junk from what i've heard from many people
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The expensive ones are good. They're the ones worth having. The vast majority are plywood junk from what i've heard from many people

The one I already have is plywood, it's not junk, but it's not the best by any means This one I'm looking at now though appears to be solid, the guy believes it to be Mahogany, it's quite heavy so I believe it. It's second hand but practically as new, I was pretty surprised to see it at such a low price..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid
The one I already have is plywood, it's not junk, but it's not the best by any means This one I'm looking at now though appears to be solid, the guy believes it to be Mahogany, it's quite heavy so I believe it. It's second hand but practically as new, I was pretty surprised to see it at such a low price..

I would tread carefully. Usually people who own these guitars have rarely owned them since the 70's and more likely, they own them because they thought they would appreciate in value. If its only $150, he may have bought it a while ago and discovered that it was a lemon.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I would tread carefully. Usually people who own these guitars have rarely owned them since the 70's and more likely, they own them because they thought they would appreciate in value. If its only $150, he may have bought it a while ago and discovered that it was a lemon.

It's in a second hand shop I know the guy who owns the place quite well now, it's one of his own that he put into the shop and he's had it for at least 20 years, I don't think it's gonna be anything crappy. Like I said, I know it's good, I'm just looking into the reputation of these things so I know what I'm looking for from now on if that makes sense?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

most are junk. a few are good, but by this point, the good ones are well documented and not usually found for cheap. old burnys, grecos, and tokais command some serious cash these days.
Sit down and play it.Does it sound good? feel good.Play good?Do you likke it?It don't matter if Charles manson made it outta toilet papr and aqua velva.buy it
I have a 1977 Bradley LP Custom. It was $400 USD when it was new. Thats $1500 in todays money. It plays and sounds great. When I compare it to my 2011 Gibson Studio Dlx, it can hold it own, but they are not equals. I would say the Bradley is about 85% of the Gibson. Does that make it a bad guitar? No. Its a great guitar.

That being said... like all guitar (regardless of maker), you hae your great ones, good ones, and bad ones. Play it and judge for yourself.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by panhead201
Sit down and play it.Does it sound good? feel good.Play good?Do you likke it?It don't matter if Charles manson made it outta toilet papr and aqua velva.buy it

+1.

If you try a guitar and like it, nothing else matters.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by al112987
most are junk. a few are good, but by this point, the good ones are well documented and not usually found for cheap. old burnys, grecos, and tokais command some serious cash these days.

+1

the good ones are great, but they're pretty dear now. you don't want to go too old, either. personally i wouldn't chance anythign earlier than late 70s, and it'd need to be from a maker i know is good.

though tokai and people like that still make good guitars currently in japan. you can just get one of them for a lot less risk.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Jedson Les Paul made around 1973. It's fantastic. Stock it sounded really good, but I added a few touches (new knobs, pickups, tuners) and I find the sound to be more responsive and "organic" sounding.

I like the neck 1000X better than any other Les Paul I've played. Normally Gibson Les Paul necks are chunky and get thicker the further down the neck you are, but mine is a bolt-on and it doesn't do that. It's perfect for me.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec