Hi.

To start this off, I'll say I believe I have a pretty solid understanding of scale notation and intervals (for things like 1,3,5,7 being a maj7 chord for example) as well as working within keys. I don't really do anything with accidentals at this point because I want to focus on what I can do within one key for now.

I have recently started learning the chord progression notation (stuff like I-V-IV for example) and I would like some clarification on how to do this correctly.

Here is my question:

I got this progresson in the key of C major. It goes:

C, Am7, G, F

I (not really knowing how) notated it like this:

I - vib7 - V - IV

I am pretty sure I got it right except for the 2nd chord, the Am7. As you can see, I labelled it relative to the Am7 itself and not according to the whole progression. So would I actually label the Am7 as vi5 to make it relative to the whole progression or am I way off? My understanding of things is that having the vi in lower case means a minor triad based off of the 6th degree.

Hope that was explained well!

EDIT: Got the G and F chord backwards.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
That would be I-vi-IV-V

Sorry about that, I got the G and F reversed by accident on the first post so the last two would be V-IV.

How would you handle the added note in the Am7 chord though? (the G note) Wouldn't the notation specify the added note somehow?
Quote by Jesus
Quote by JimDawson
Sorry about that, I got the G and F reversed by accident on the first post so the last two would be V-IV.

How would you handle the added note in the Am7 chord though? (the G note) Wouldn't the notation specify the added note somehow?

Not necessarily a ii-V-! is a very comme jazz progression and those guys almost never play triads but we could maybe say I-vimin7-IV-V

Edit: Do keep in mind that usually we notate the 7 for dom7 as in V7 but I don't see it much for the other type of chords.
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Mar 21, 2012,
I-vi7-V-IV

As another poster said, unless the 7 is written maj7 or has a triangle symbol before the 7, it is assumed to be dominant anyway.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Last edited by MacMan2001 at Mar 21, 2012,
Cool, that clears that up. I guess it is more practical to notate the added notes relative to the chord itself than relative to the progression.
Quote by Jesus
I'd notate as I-vi-V-IV, but for a different reason than the guy above... simply because the seventh is diatonic, so no need for any extra notation
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by mrkeka
I'd notate as I-vi-V-IV, but for a different reason than the guy above... simply because the seventh is diatonic, so no need for any extra notation

I can understand that. Personally, I like things to be really specific so I would notate the seventh. From what I have learned in this thread notating the Am7 as vim7 is really redundant because the key makes it painfully obvious that it would be a dominant 7th anyway.

vi7 works for me, thanks guys!
Quote by Jesus
Lol, I actually mistyped, I meant vi7... I just meant you don't need to notate the b7, because it's a diatonic note
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
I don't know if it's a typo but Am7 is not a dominant 7th chord. It's a minor 7th and in this context it does not have a dominant function.

EDIT
Do you understand the difference between a Am7 and A7 ?

Am7 = Aminor7 and the notes are A C E G
A7 = A dominant 7 and the notes are A C#E G

Again, I say this just in case as I'm still unsure if it wasn't a typo.

vi7 would be a minor seventh chord.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
vi7 would be a minor seventh chord.

Yes I re-read and I saw this so I just deleted my message because it was not useful since I was the one misunderstanding.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
Yes I re-read and I saw this so I just deleted my message because it was not useful since I was the one misunderstanding.

o

o i c
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
o

o i c

I see what you did there.
Quote by mdc
I see what you did there.

...Someone will have to explain to me one day because I just don't get it
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
...Someone will have to explain to me one day because I just don't get it

Yeah, I saw that yesterday and I was all like

I still don't get it, but if I were to wager a guess I think he was implying that you don't actually realize the misunderstanding regarding the whole dominant 7th thing. To be honest, later on in this thread my understanding of what a dominant 7th is has been shaken a bit.

You see, I was mentioning the dominant 7th to refer to the b7 added to the Am. After that... well, I'm not really sure what was going on and I actually looked up some dominant 7th chords yesterday because of it. It's just the way I always looked at the b7 degree itself.

I think it has to do with the way I used the term to refer to a scale degree and the way you didn't seem to notice that even after the post you deleted. Really, that's my best guess.

I just hope they don't find this too hilarious; I wouldn't like to think that they are getting TOO much amusement at our expense.
Quote by Jesus
Quote by JimDawson
Yeah, I saw that yesterday and I was all like

I still don't get it, but if I were to wager a guess I think he was implying that you don't actually realize the misunderstanding regarding the whole dominant 7th thing. To be honest, later on in this thread my understanding of what a dominant 7th is has been shaken a bit.

You see, I was mentioning the dominant 7th to refer to the b7 added to the Am. After that... well, I'm not really sure what was going on and I actually looked up some dominant 7th chords yesterday because of it. It's just the way I always looked at the b7 degree itself.

I think it has to do with the way I used the term to refer to a scale degree and the way you didn't seem to notice that even after the post you deleted. Really, that's my best guess.

I just hope they don't find this too hilarious; I wouldn't like to think that they are getting TOO much amusement at our expense.

I actually deleted my post because I realized that you were refering to the scale degree and I found my post useless. I usually refer to a b7 as a minor 7th interval but I know that you were not wrong. It's ok if I made a few regular laugh, I'm a funny person IRL and I don't mind