greetings, i have a solid state head an mg 100 fx hd. yeah i know, but i got it for cheap . i use a rocktron or mt -2 distortion box, i dont bother with the factory distortion. it actually sounds a tad decent this way, and i add some of the factory effects and i cant complain too much. anyway, i got a volume drop after about 45 min. i then shut it off go get a beer, turn it back on and play for another 30-45 min. ive used the search, and read that it may be a heating problem. my question is what kind of $$ are we talkin about to get it fixed. i know the amp is a pos and hardly worth the effort but money is tight. and if we are talkin less than 100 bucks ill look in to gettin it fixed. if ne one has had a ss amp worked on and has even a ball park figure id be mighty thankful. thanx in advance.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
How drastic was the volume drop the first time? Like, in a percentage?

When you came back what happened? Did it run fine and then drop again or what?

Doesn't really matter. Diagnosing and fixing a solid state amp is pretty difficult. I really wouldn't even know where to start but I'm not an amp tech. If it was a tube amp I could give you 4 or 5 things to check - namely the power tubes.

I also decided not to ridicule your amp and hopefully anyone else who posts will do the same.

I mean check all the obvious stuff. Cables, battery in the pedal, wiggle the insert jack, turn the knobs and listen for weirdness or crackling, plug your guitar into the effects return jack (if it has one), try a different guitar in the amp, try the amp in a different room/location, etc.

Beyond that, it probably won't be worth getting fixed. Expect to pay $40-$60 an hour for a tech and there may even be a minimum bench fee. They may also need to send it somewhere else to have it looked at which adds time and cost. For the money you'd put into it you could just get a different amp.

my .311 cents

Cracked solder joints on the pots and/or jacks where connected to the circuit board. Easy fix if you have a soldering iron and know how to use it.
could be a lot of things. my guess would be a failing power supply or perhaps the transformer?

fix could be anywhere from $50 - $150ish
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fly135
Cracked solder joints on the pots and/or jacks where connected to the circuit board. Easy fix if you have a soldering iron and know how to use it.
This web page will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Heat is what makes it intermittent.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/badmainrelay.html

Here's a list of the amp's I've fixed that all had exactly problem...

Fender Pro Jr
Yorkville Stage G90
Crate Bass amp
Crate VC5310
Crate VC2112

And in retrospect I got rid of a Marshall Valvestate that I thought the pots needed replacing, but now I believe it was solder joints. Any amp that has pot/jacks mounted directly to the circuit board is a candidate for this happening due to stress and flexing between the faceplate and the circuit board.
thanx for the help. and thanx for not doggin my amp. i knew it had a bad rep when i bought it but i got it for 50 bucks. and like i said with a good stomp box it doesnt sound too awful. a couple of things that i forgot to mention is the master volume pot is very touchy. you can go from zero to wall shake in only a touch of the knob. also there is some crackling, but i kno thats a bad cord. i will do the things that yall suggest. and see if i can decern more about the problem. i got $50 in it so i aint scared to drop alittle more if it will fix it.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Between a can of DeOxit for cleaning the pots and a soldering iron you can probably get it back to working order. Even the master volume being touchy can be solder joints.