So I recently moved from a software setup to real equipment (AC15C1 with a TS9 so far). All great except for one thing - I get a heap of hum from the pedal.

I wonder if it's the power supply I'm using for the pedal, which isn't an Ibanez one. But I don't see how it could be a problem. It's 9V, supplies more than enough current, is regulated, and the polarity is definitely right.

As far as symptoms go, it's a steady hum, kind of a mid-range pitch, when the pedal's turned off and a slightly quieter (though that depends on settings obviously), higher-pitched hum when it's on. The tone I get out of the amp while the pedal's part of the chain is worse than when it isn't, even when it's turned off. I originally thought they were true bypass but I guess not.

What confuses me most is that I took the pedal out of the chain and left it plugged in and was still getting hum. I unplugged it and the hum slid up in pitch before disappearing and leaving me with a wonderful amp tone. While it was plugged in, if I touched the lead I still had connected to its output, the hum got really really loud. Keep in mind that's when the pedal and lead weren't connected at all to the amp or guitar, just near it. This happened twice and not a few other times so I don't know what it is that made the difference.

So what the hell is going on and how do I fix it?

Oh, and you'll probably suggest trying a battery instead, which I plan to do, but I'd rather not have to keep replacing batteries so a way to fix the problem still using a power supply would be much preferred.
Last edited by fungrified at Mar 21, 2012,
Until you test it with a battery and report your findings any advice would be pissing in the wind. But from the sounds of everything else I'd say the power supply is the problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The first thing I always suggest is to try a different outlet, preferably on a different circuit. Next I'd plug into a surge protector, those always solve my problems.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Cathbard is right. Test it with a battery. If the hum level drops, your power supply is the culprit.

If not, you need to investigate further.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100