Hi!,

I am in the process of buying a new acoustic guitar. I've narrowed down my choices to a Cole Clark Fl1ac bunya top; queensland maple B/S or a Larrivee Om-05 spruce top; mahogany B/S. They are both about the same price. Which one is the better deal?

(I play mostly fingerstlye)

Thanks!
Well well....They're both dramatically different guitars. You truly would have to play them. I've preferred every Larrivee to every Cole Clark I've ever played but that's just me.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Whichever one you like more. Keep in mind that you should always consider playability & feel, sound, and also looks(although that's much less important, to be honest).

Both are of good quality.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks for the quick replies. It is totally different guitars as the CC is a dreadnought and the Larrivee is an orchestra model. The thing is i do not have very good access to either guitar (CC is Australian.)
If you're going on a whim, which I highly disagree with, I'd go with the Larrivee. More of a fingerstyle build, more appropriate woods, and my friend has an OM-7 or whatever the rosewood variant is and I like it about the same as my Taylor.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
They are both about the same price

Really? Which country are you in?
id go cole clark.. i love em!! listen to some Lloyd Spiegel on youtube, he playes fingerstyle on cole clarks only..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by tom183
Really? Which country are you in?

Im in California so the nearest dealer for Larrivee is hours away...
Quote by rocknroll93
id go cole clark.. i love em!! listen to some Lloyd Spiegel on youtube, he playes fingerstyle on cole clarks only..

Haha do I detect a bit of bias? Says your in Australia... CC is Australian.
Im in California so the nearest dealer for Larrivee is hours away...

How much can you get the Cole Clark for?
Quote by Finger$tyle
Haha do I detect a bit of bias? Says your in Australia... CC is Australian.

They're the only ones who can get Cole Clarks really easily. I've only been able to find one in the last 6 years. Larrivee's are easy for me to find up here in Canada. So yeah, of course there's bias, lol. But it's not as if both manufacturers aren't known to be of high quality.

Personally, I really liked the Fat Lady 2 I played, but I haven't had enough experience to give a good opinion on them.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by tom183
How much can you get the Cole Clark for?

I can get the cole clark for about $1,600 and the larrivee for about $1,500. Yeah, the CC is a bit more expensive, but it comes with the facebrace pickup... Still havent decided!!
buy them both, send them to me and i'll decide for you and send it back. then you can just return the one you get back.
I can get the cole clark for about $1,600 and the larrivee for about $1,500.

The few websites I just looked at list the Larrivee as a $2500 guitar. Sounds like a good buy to me.

Judging by the prices I've seen FL1s here in Australia for it sounds like you're going to be paying a few hundred dollars extra than what they sell for. If you love it, get it but I personally couldn't justify paying hundreds of dollars extra just because it had to be imported.
The only Cole Clark dealer in my state is a few blocks from my house...I like them better plugged in than any other guitar I played in that shop (#1 Taylor dealer in CT).

However, it was my not my favorite guitar there...but who has $7000 to drop on a Goodall or a Lowden?

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
yeah im aussie, im biased to the cole clarks.. if you play percussive with your acoustic, the coles are great because they have 2 or 3 peizo pups depending on the model.. one in the bridge, one in the body under the neck, and one in the lower body..

they really are pretty awesome, ive been on a tour of the factory.. I have had the chance to play a cole clark that had only been set up 5 minutes beforehand..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
you don't mention where in california you are, but if you happen to be in southern california, there are cole clarks you can try at the fretted frog, and larrivees at l.a. guitar sales, and possibly a few left over at sam ash. for that matter, larrivee's california factory is in ventura, and if you make an appointment, they'll take you on a tour of their factory and let you play their guitars.

both cole clarks and larrivees are well made guitars, well worth owning. i find that the smaller larrivees (including the OM) lack personality to my ear, which makes them great for recording but i like my guitars to have a more distinctive voice - i'd opt for the cole clark. the cole clarks i've played, except the angel, sound just great, with round, saturated tone that made me wanna play 'em more.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Mar 24, 2012,
[url="http://www.clarksshoes-sale.co.uk] Clarks Shoes Sale core consists of a basic shoe made of suede and crepe rubber sole, and two eyes made. Shoe design was so simple, but very modern, and he made them to be very versatile, this fact has not changed. They were in suits, chinos,Clarks leather shoes for man shorts to wear and are very popular, no socks look great for summer. Some of the views that are popular with desert boots chinos Clarks Shoes Outlet rolled up a bit, wearing a shirt with sleeves rolled up. Cut just above the knee to the face Oxford or polo shirt that can be overcome with a linen blazer (sleeves rolled up) for the cooler evenings.
Personally i think cole clark has budgeting problem. Im an engineer not musician but recently i started to play coz i picked up this subject in my uni. I realised that the build of cole clark is really poor.
1. the pickup looks like some cheap ass china pickup with some plastic cover that can wear&tear easily.
2. the wood finishing isnt that good... they didnt fine sand the wood at the edge causing rough feel...
3. it comes with phosphur bronze string so its more mellow... i havent tried it with 80/20 bronze but thats my personal opinion...

the only good thing about it is the ALL solid wood..

I was choosing between MAton or CC and in the end i bought a maton which is only solid top coz its build quality is much better
That's just a one off lemon then, b/c I've played a few CC's and they were in amazing condition, these were straight from the factory. Their pick up system is the best there is to offer, not many come close.

The CC's I played were nice, but as everyone did say they were very different beasts. I would not recommend buying either of these guitars without every playing them.

CC's sound is very unique, Larrivee's offer a balanced response. Martins (bass end), Larrivee (mids), Taylor (highs). That's their general character.

For a cheaper option with Larrivee though, I'd look into the -03 series, or -02 b/c they are cheaper. The only different from the 03 to 05 is the glossed top and other cosmetic differences. Their sound will be the same.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
I own a CC FL3AC and a Maton Custom Shop, as well as a Maton EM325C, and I consider both the solid body guitars to be extremely well made and durable. Plus they are a delight to play. The EM325C is a great workhorse.

However, that is not to say that there cannot be duds and I think that may be true of any brand.
Gear that I currently have:

Maton Custom Shop; Seagull S6 Qriginal QI; Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele BB; Gretch G5135; Alhambra 7C, Martin GPCPA4, Gibson J-45TV

Yamaha THR 10C