Hey guys,

I currently use a Peavey XXX head and matching cab and do not really like the sound/noise involved with the head pretty much regardless of EQ settings...there always seems to be a hum, which is actually most pronounced on the clean channel, and either a thinness or an overwhelming amount of muddy bass with terrible response and no real in-between--it's one or the other--on the lead gain channel. I have recently (less than 9 months or so) re-tubed the amp and so I don't think it's due to any popped fuses or settings, but rather just the nature of the amp's preamp and power amp circuitry.

I've always really liked Orange amps and the artists that use them (Mars Volta, Thomas Erak, etc.--big prog/math/experimental fan and player myself) but am afraid they might thin out my tone too much as I've heard they leave something to be desired in terms of low-end (though I beg to differ from some of the music the aforementioned Orange-using artists make). I am looking into the terror series, specifically the Tiny Terror or the Dark Terror.

Am I making a mistake (i.e. should I just get my current amp inspected to see if there's some failing component), or do lower wattage amps tend to be less noisy even when set to "**** your face in" in terms of gain? Are Orange amps the way to go given that I may lose low end, or is that more of a question of EQing (can you still get decent low-end on the Orange Terror series)? Finally, if I should go Orange, Tiny or Dark Terror? Also, while I'm at it, how do people get cleans and distortion on a Tiny/Dark Terror given such few controls--do they typically use a distortion pedal along with it instead of the amp gain so they can have both or am I missing something?

THANKS!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
This may sound silly but have you tried to plug your amp into a power conditioner?
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
I have not. Would I plug in the hum eliminator at the end of the effects loop (i.e. last "pedal" before return on amp) or would that only cut power amp noise since it's after the pre-amp? I guess the Ebtech has 2 channels so I could do it twice if I needed to, once for each amp stage. However, I'm not sure if the hum is the only problem... the tone has always left something to be desired...
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Last edited by MadMudgeN at Mar 22, 2012,
Get ur self a decimator and a power conditioner. Amp in to power conditioner and decimator wherever you want it.
personally i never liked the sound of the xxx, but im a high gain "BrOotz" guy. idk there is something in the high end of it that doesnt suit me, maybe its not compressed enough i still havnt been able to pin it down and honestly i used one once but i see alot of people use em at local shows. as for the hum have you changed the power tubes?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Could also need new filter caps in the power supply. They do wear out eventually and hum and shitty bass response are the prime symptoms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard, thank you for pointing this out as I did get the amp second hand and these are two ever present symptoms regardless of the channel I'm on. travs, I have, to Ruby 6L6GC-MSTRs, and I handpicked a set of preamp tubes to go in at the same time about a year ago. david, I already use an NS2 to cut noise from my guitar and I have it in X-pattern to go back into the NS2 to cut noise after the preamp stage, so I don't think the Decimator will be necessary/fix the problem. I may look into a power conditioner, but I'm thinking it may have something to do with these filter caps Cathbard is talking about... I may look into it, but I am looking for a new sound. Really wanted a Tiny Terror but no FX loop and with my pedal chain the way it is, I probably need amplification pre-effects (or I guess I could rearrange the order of the pedals and use my compressor as a boost in the front if I do), so now I'm looking at a Dark Terror. I will look into fixing this though as it may be the issue...
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2