So i'm admittedly a shit singer, and there's no doubt about it. Average at best.

Can even the shittest singers be coached vocally to a point where they actually get good though?
Or is singing like a guitar in where with enough practise one can shred br00taly with their vocal chords and kill people.
I only wonder cos i'm always singing along to music when i'm in my car in particular and i think what would it be like if i could actually sing this in key and not shit..
If Bob Dylan can make a career with his voice, so can you.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
No, unlike every other instrument ever, singers never have to train and practice to get better.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by necrosis1193
If Bob Dylan can make a career with his voice, so can you.

That was the 60s. These days people only like music that actually sounds good.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Agree with the Dylan comment. Singing happens to be one of those things where practice really does make perfect. Everyone should unleash their inner Dio in the shower!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
As long as your willing to learn, yup.

James Hetfield sounded bad on Kill em all, by the black album he was trained and produced a fuller sound in his voice. Then proceeded to ruin all that hard work by adding a 'yaa' or 'yeah heh' to the end of every line.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Mar 22, 2012,
Quote by Rebel Scum

James Hetfield sounded bad on Kill em all, by the black album he was trained and produced a fuller sound in his voice. Then proceeded to ruin all that hard work by adding a 'yaa' or 'yeah heh' to the end of every line.

I think you might have the history of Metallica a bit mixed up.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The world is not split into black and white absolutes and there is a lot more to this than 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
Join any alternative genre, and yer fine
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I did it so yeah
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Yes, yes you can. Anyone who says otherwise has no clue what they're talking about, it's all technique and technique can be trained.
I trained myself to be able to sing a lot of Simon & Garfunkels songs and only started out with a pretty average voice. Not that I sing Simon & Garfunkel anymore, I'd probably get beat up in a dark alley for it now, but it can be done with practice and the will to do it.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

The voice and range you'll end up with once your technique is decent is determined by your anatomy, so not everyone can be Pavarotti. But actual ability is muscle memory, like any other instrument. You're capable of at least being quite good, possibly better.

And the idea that if you can't already sing you'll never be agreat singer is bollocks as well. I know a bloke with a great bass voice who was a dreadful singer before getting lessons, just because he'd gotten the techniques all wrong.
You have to know you're shit first.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Yes they can, I used to be a terrible singer, but with practice and experience I managed to train my voice into something much better.
Everyone can learn how to sing in key etc. If you have a personal voice that's natural to you to sing in is another thing. But yes most likely you can. I was an atrocious singer a few years ago, I've started to sing a lot more now and I get better every day.

Still not amazing but I'm starting to like my own songs more and more.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Cloaca
I think you might have the history of Metallica a bit mixed up.

No I don't think so. Example: listen to Metal Militia on KEA and how in the verses he is screaming high pitched at the beginning of the line then going deep for the final part in each line. That's his range on the album with nothing inbetween.

He had very bad technique. He was singing from the head/throat as opposed to getting a diaphragmatic response which a trained singer (and he is since ...and Justice album) achieves when they sing. It caused problems for his throat, which made him get singing lessons in the first place.

Don't confuse which album is better instead of which albums he sings with better singing ability. We all know the first four are the best. Thats not the argument on this topic.
Tom Waits
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Rebel Scum
No I don't think so. Example: listen to Metal Militia on KEA and how in the verses he is screaming high pitched at the beginning of the line then going deep for the final part in each line. That's his range on the album with nothing inbetween.

He had very bad technique. He was singing from the head/throat as opposed to getting a diaphragmatic response which a trained singer (and he is since ...and Justice album) achieves when they sing. It caused problems for his throat, which made him get singing lessons in the first place.

Don't confuse which album is better instead of which albums he sings with better singing ability. We all know the first four are the best. Thats not the argument on this topic.

This is mainly because I'd read 'Kill 'em All' as 'St. Anger' for some reason. Disregard me, I suck cocks.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The world is not split into black and white absolutes and there is a lot more to this than 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
Quote by Carnivean
That was the 60s. These days people only like music that actually sounds good.

Opinionated Incorporated.
Quote by Rebel Scum

no
All you'll need is a good ear and confidence. Then you can just practice your ass off or take lessons. There ARE people who become good after lessons.

GRAY RAINBOW

To a point.

You can train to be a better musician, lessons will help, and a teacher that is more drill instructor than cheer leader will help even more.

But understand, we all have different talents. Don't expect to become Sammy Hagar who is a natural singer, apparently untrained. Instead expect to become yourself and that may or may not be what you want.

Oh, one other thing...

Being a trained vocalist, Karaoke bars are kind of like Chinese water torture to the sound of cats mating to me.

The biggest mistake damn near everyone makes is trying too damn hard.

Relax.

Remember, the microphone is there to make you louder, and you will generally have a larger range if you are not trying to shatter the windows.
Last edited by seabear70 at Mar 22, 2012,
Singers can train to be shits if that's what you mean.

I'm a vocal teacher. You can train to be in pitch, have nore range and you can also change your vocal style to sone degree but you have the voice you are born with.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Mar 22, 2012,
Absolutely. If you accept that you're just terrible and can't improve then you won't... otherwise, like most things, hard work and practice will pay off. It can be easier for some people than it is for others but really anyone can be "good" if they want to be.
I'm of the opinion that anyone can be good at singing, to a degree. Like most people here have said, you will always have the voice you're born with, but that doesn't mean your technique won't improve, and in turn improve your sound
Quote by WCPhils
My prayers are with you and your balls TS

Quote by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
Just a heads-up for you. The sooner you find yourself comfortable with your own voice while singing and not trying to sound like someone else or something that's not natural the better.

Use your own natural voice and make it work and experiment with it, don't try to copy someone else or sound like something you don't sound like. Such voices tend to be lame and bad.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
That's not bad, but holy hell is it annoying. It's like the beginning Vocal lines of Comfortably numb stretched out for an entire song.

Shudder

Stop telling these lies.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Truth 2012!

Boooo!
Quote by seabear70
To a point.

You can train to be a better musician, lessons will help, and a teacher that is more drill instructor than cheer leader will help even more.

But understand, we all have different talents. Don't expect to become Sammy Hagar who is a natural singer, apparently untrained. Instead expect to become yourself and that may or may not be what you want.

Oh, one other thing...

Being a trained vocalist, Karaoke bars are kind of like Chinese water torture to the sound of cats mating to me.

The biggest mistake damn near everyone makes is trying too damn hard.

Relax.

Remember, the microphone is there to make you louder, and you will generally have a larger range if you are not trying to shatter the windows.

I would say this 100 percent.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.