Alright, this is for you guitar techs out there.

For a fair while I've been playing with 12-56 Ernie Balls on my Ibanez RGR421EXFM. I've kinda grown out of the drop a# phase, and it probably wasn't healthy for my six string anyways. So I've bought 10-52 D'Addarios so I can jam on some Protest The Hero, half a step down.

Will I need to do anything to my guitar? Truss rod, bridge adjustments, etc. I have no clue when it comes to tension and scale length and all that kinda stuff.
It's a fixed bridge on those I believe right? If so, technically you could just switch and retune fine I'm sure. The action and string tension probably will feel a bit different though, I wouldn't expect it to be a huge deal though.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on this stuff though honestly, so by no means take my word, hahaha
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Maybe some slight adjustments to the bridge and a little tweaking of the truss rod. You might not need to really change anything except maybe the intonation.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 22, 2012,
you will need to reintonate, and you could lower your action if you want. Your neck will probably be under less stress so depending on how much the stress reduces you may need to loosen your truss rod. although this should be the last thing you do after you re intonate and adjust action until you don't get fret buzz, and might not even prove to be an issue
that amount of string gauge change will mean adjustments.

read the setup thread in this forum.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix