Hello all,

I'm about to pick up a cheap epi LP.

.:[Click Here to See Guitar]:.

My first LP ever. I plan on upgrading the pickups, but other than that, I'd really appreciate any criticisms that I might not have found on teh interwebs.

Seriously, be brutal. Try to tell me EVERY reason(practical, not "I don't like the color" etc) why someone should not buy this guitar.

Thanks!

I'm personally not a LP fan just because of their sound. Now, given a high-end LP will sound great, this guitar in particular I don't like because the lack of 24 frets, and the hardware maintenance hassles. If those things don't bother you (assuming you know what you're buying) this guitar is what you seek.
I am the crack in the wall, The eye in the sky.
I am the final slumber, The great divide.
I am the silence in madness, That lies to your face,
My woe is accepted, 'tis the end of your race.
Well, obviously it's gonna be stocked with crappy pickups, but to be fair, most low/mid range guitars are. Could switch em out if you so desire.
I'm also not a fan of large inlays or having 4 buttons - I just have 2 (+a toggleswitch), but that's really personal taste.

What it comes down to, afaik Epiphones are pretty good for the money, but their quality control can be.. iffy. My advice is to try before you buy - sometimes a store has 3 Epiphone les paul standards, and one of 'em just sounds and plays better than the others.

Also, if at all possible, try every guitar you can get your hands on. There's no magical book that tells us which guitars are better than others, it's all about finding the guitar that works for you. Try it out, see if you like it, if so, buy it. If not, don't.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
or get a PRS SE Singlecut for $499 from sam ash.

the SE 245 and most single cuts have price dropped.

i'd take a PRS SE over a EPI based on materials and build quality period.

it's a no-brainer to me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 22, 2012,
....this guitar in particular I don't like because the lack of 24 frets, and the hardware maintenance hassles.

Yeah, I would definitely be looking for 24 frets if I was going to be doing any lead work with this guitar, but that duty will be relegated to my Ibanez. The LP will be for doing rhythm work.

One thing though, what did you mean when you said "hardware maintenance hassles"? One of the things I was looking forward to about the Epi LP was LESS of a hassle in the maintenance department . A fixed bridge will be far less of a hassle than that of my RG's floating Edge III.

If you don't mind me asking, which pickups are you changing to?

That will be a little further down the road, but when I do change them out I plan on either going with Burstbucker Pros, or Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates".

Thanks for the recommendation but I don't like the PRS SE single cuts because you can't adjust the intonation on them. That's very important to me.

===============================================
The neck is fat/ thin. The heel is an abomination.

That said I loved my epi lp plus top. Sounded sooo good.
Just played like a brick.

Upgrade the pots/caps when you swap pups. Also think about a better nut.
Best thing to do is decide yourself, different people prefer different things, I have an epi black beauty and I love it, some people won't like it, play the guitar and see how it feels in your hands, see if you like the sound etc.... The last thing you want to do is buy a guitar or not buy a guitar on what someone else has said
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by gregs1020

the SE 245 and most single cuts have price dropped.

it's a no-brainer to me.

dont PRS have a unique tone to them that is kinda between a strat and an LP? or is that the higher end ones?

I cant talk you out of it TS, not that I would anyway. Just make sure you go and try a few out and find the one that feels and sounds right for you. or at least feels right, then you can upgrade the stuff on it.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by FuseUnison
Thanks for the recommendation but I don't like the PRS SE single cuts because you can't adjust the intonation on them. That's very important to me.

there exist intonateable replacements but that's cool.

Quote by JAHellraiser
dont PRS have a unique tone to them that is kinda between a strat and an LP? or is that the higher end ones?

not the singlecut or SC245.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gangsta_rick
Best thing to do is decide yourself, different people prefer different things, I have an epi black beauty and I love it, some people won't like it, play the guitar and see how it feels in your hands, see if you like the sound etc.... The last thing you want to do is buy a guitar or not buy a guitar on what someone else has said

Thanks, I've already done some shopping around and the above Epi LP seems very nice to me(for the price). My hands are small so the neck is a little big(even though it's tapered), but like I said earlier, I won't be using this for complicated lead work.

I just wanted to post this thread and find out if there were any "weird" flaws that this guitar might have. Like, "don't get it! the tuners explode after 3 months" or "stay away! there's a wiring problem where exposed braiding can melt together" etc, etc.

Thanks for all the helps! =)
LP standards are not bad guitars. But the pickups are shit. Get new pickups for it like a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a PAF 30th anniv and you'll be golden.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't get why people act like they really need 24 frets. I doubt they use those extra 2 frets that much
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Mine was fine, I like it. I went ahead and bought a roller "Wilkinson" bridge and a couple Mean 90s from GuitarFetish for it. The pickups it had sounded fine, I just wanted a P90 LP after I got a Custom. And I've taken a liking to the roller bridges for some reason.

It's a fine guitar if you like Les Pauls and find them comfortable to play. Although I too would recommend going to the store and actually playing what you are planning on buying first, sometimes some dogs get out of the factory.
Quote by JAHellraiser
I don't get why people act like they really need 24 frets. I doubt they use those extra 2 frets that much

Well, I don't know about other people, but I tune down for a heavier sound and I prefer 24 frets so I can keep as much of my higher register as possible and I do use it. I like to set off a harmonic on one string, and then do some lead around it's resonance. This trick almost always incorporates 23rd and 24th fret use.

However, since I'll be using the LP almost exclusively for rhythm tracking I won't need to wander down that far on the frets. So, in this case, it's of no consequence to me.
**** the shape its all about wood and pickups son.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by JAHellraiser

Just because you don't need 24 doesn't mean that other people don't. I actually do use the 23rd fret in a couple of my songs. More importantly, a guitar with less than 24 frets feels retarded to me. 24 is two whole octaves. Having less just doesn't make any sense, from a musical standpoint.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Try the Epiphone Tony Iommi sg.
Has 24 frets, two great humbuckers (better than that lp)
and looks a bit cooler than that lp in my opinion.
To me the benefit of 24 frets is that the cutaway on my guitar gives me super easy access to the 21st and 22nd frets. Hitting 22 on my LP is a bitch. Plus having the extra 2 frets is nice.

Anyway, on topic....

I've had a couple epi's and both were pretty solid guitars. Played pretty well for cheaper guitars, and sounded pretty good. No real complaints. But I have heard they're hit or miss, so jam on one a while before you buy if possible. Make sure it's a keeper.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I have 24 frets on the dg335 that I built and I don't think I've ever used them, suppose it goes on style of playing aswel though, i mainly play blues and classic rock and my lp suits fine for what I play
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
I've had an Epi LP custom now here for a few years so i've had some time to tinker with it and if you work with them they can be some dang fine guitars. BUT, if you are looking for a guitar with 24 frets just for the sake of having a smaller neck heel to deal with so you can get on up there a traditional LP won't do. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me much but to each their own. Now if you find one you think is killer and put some love into it they're great guitars...i mean just look at the list of axe's in my sig and my LP is still one of the best.

However, if you decide against it and still want that single cut body my suggestions are:
Epi Les paul prophecy (24 frets, satin finished neck oohh la la, and killer pickups)
PRS SE single cut (much like gregs said, great guitars and more than likely a better choice)
LTD Eclipse (Not a full size LP body, but 24 frets and an insanely fast neck)

But like i say though, If you really want an Epi go out and play a few and find the best playing one you can find. I went through all the Epi LP's at the store the day I got mine and I don't regret one minute of it.
Buddy of mine has one. Tuners on it suck. Low ratio, not smooth, falls out of tune eventually. Other than that, nice instrument.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by crabstampede
Buddy of mine has one. Tuners on it suck. Low ratio, not smooth, falls out of tune eventually. Other than that, nice instrument.

I don't see why. Grovers are pretty good.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by gregs1020

it's a no-brainer to me.

+1

I have liked every PRS guitar I have played more than most Epiphones, spare one. I think that one was just a lemon really.

There's lots of guitars out there. Look around for a lawsuit-era Ibanez or an old Tokai axes or something. Fun.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."