So i own an ENGL SE 6L6 and after some tips on the lead tone which ive found really hard to get a nice smooth lead i also have quite a few effects and run it with a GT-10 as a noise gate

its just got that nasty high gain sort of sound with it where i like a smooth dark distortion (i guess i also like mesa boogies as well) so does anyone have any tips

i play metal and the cleans are amazing. even someone who has a killer rhythm sound as my vocalist still isnt convinced
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
engls tend to be on the brighter side

that being said i seem to remember dialling in a smoother lead tone on an se

can't really remember how i did it, though.

have you tried hitting it with a TS-style boost?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have a BSM i can try tomorrow (OR) REMEMBER DAMMIT HAHAH :P
k

had a quick look at the manual

have you got it set to classic mode? that might do it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im in modern (hi gain) :\
from what i can research the presence if high can have a real nasty effect but general consensus seems to be in the TS/OD area. I cant really find much on this amp and it seems to be somewhat of a common problem.

as i said i have a BSM treble booster and also a Tube Driver (chandler) or i have inbuilt effects on my GT-10 i guess i can try.
i would start from scratch with your tone.

put all the dials at 12 o clock and just try and see where that gets you. a Tube Screamer will help quite a lot too, but try setting the amp up with quite a dark setting and see if that works
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
agreed.

if your current tone is wrong, try to fix it.

as i said, set it to classic. maybe even try turning high gain off (engls have tons of gain normally, i forget how much difference the low/high gain button made).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah you dont need as much gain as you think you do, hell a Recto on Vintage mode still has enough gain to slap any 80s high gain amp in the face

set the gain around 12 o clock or 1 o clock in classic and see what you can do from there, the ENGL SE i played ages ago was truly godly so you should be able to get some sweet tones from it
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Start with the pre-gain at 0, and bring it up slowly while playing until you are at the bare minimum necessary for the sound you want. I'm pretty sure you're using wayy too much gain?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
tube driver did the trick!! fixed exactly what i wanted cheers guys!!

gain is on 12 now was on 2. Actually dont like channel 3 and 4 on classic at all but im sure if you worked about it you could get the tone you want.

TD definitely doing for now yeow!!
glad you're happy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?