Been playing, well trying, for about a year on an acoustic. Just got an electric guitar and I am having a helluva time learning power chords! Any advice for a true beginner?
Practice. Or post something more specific so we may actually say anything useful.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Take it slowly. Focus on muting the other three strings otherwise its gonna make a right racket if any of them ar ringing out.

I use my Index finger to fret the root note, middle for the fifth and ring finger for the octave (i.e a finger per note/sting rather than a partial barre like you might play a B chord, for example). using my ring finger to mute all the higher strings if im playing a power chord on the E string and using the tip of my index finger to mute the E string if im playing a power chord on the A string.

Hope that kinda makes sense!
I usually just barre the 3rd finger for the octave, it helps me mute the other strings me-thinks.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Learn to play power chords with both 2 and 3 fingers, and play allot of powerchords!
They are awesome, and let you learn most tabs in a very short period of time, but make sure they aren't all you learn!
Trouble learning what a power chord is and where your fingers need to fret, or actually moving your fingers as you change chords?
Sorry. That was vague. I cant figure out exactly where my fingers should go. I guess i shouldve asked what the correct finger position is for power chords.
On either the 6th or 5th string, if your index finger is on the root, your ring finger would then be on the 5th of the chord, which would be the next string over, and 2 frets up.
basically, most power chords are two notes, the first and the fifth. these chords are generally played on the 3 low strings.
if your guitar is tuned in a standard manner [E-A-D-G-B-E], you play a power chord by holding the first note with your index finger, and the fifth note with your ring finger.
learn to mute the other strings, and palm mute the playing strings.
practice to change chords with clean transitions in correct timing

and you are done...
For two string powerchords, I use my index finger and my ring finger. For three string powerchords, I use my index finger, ring finger and little finger.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I also have a question about power chords. Specifically, extended power chords. Does your pinky go directly below the string that your ring finger is on or is it one string below and one string over?
Quote by musician26
I also have a question about power chords. Specifically, extended power chords. Does your pinky go directly below the string that your ring finger is on or is it one string below and one string over?

For the extended power chords that the other guys are describing. Index finger on the lowest (thickest) string. Ring finger on the next string up and 2 frets up. Pinky on the next string up and 2 frets up.

Tablature Example:
-
-
-

Or you can do a power chord like this.... these sound cool too!
Tablature Example:
-
-
Quote by Josh Brown
For the extended power chords that the other guys are describing. Index finger on the lowest (thickest) string. Ring finger on the next string up and 2 frets up. Pinky on the next string up and 2 frets up.

Tablature Example:
-
-
-

Not a power chord, that's a sus2 chord. Gsus2 in standard tuning using that exact fingering.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not a power chord, that's a sus2 chord. Gsus2 in standard tuning using that exact fingering.

You are correct Zaphod I feel they all have power to them though
There is power chords on the fourth sting ? All the power chords i have seen in tabs were on the fifth and sixth sting aside from D5 with the fourth string being open.
Quote by bast1981
There is power chords on the fourth sting ? All the power chords i have seen in tabs were on the fifth and sixth sting aside from D5 with the fourth string being open.

Power chords are just a root note and the respective fifth. You can play them anywhere.
A root and a 5th. That's it, that's all that you need for a powerchord.

Two notes, one a 5th above the other - although theoretically you could stack as many roots and 5ths together as you're physically able to fret and still call it a powerchord.

Frets and strings don't matter one bit when it comes to defining what a "powerchord" is, you just need the right two notes, and you can find them all over your guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com