Hi there!

I figured I'd make a thread about my pedal built. I'm a bit split over where to put the thread but I figured this was more.. appropriate. Heck, it even says "All your threads about building amps, making pedals and modding guitars go right here!"
Should it suit better at the drum section, mods or admins, feel free to move it

Anyway, I'm at the final stretch of my education on what'd be somewhat equivalent to the american 'College', and is caught right up in my finals. I'm studying metalworks. You know, milling, turning, welding and all that jazz.

I spent a long time thinking what I'd want to do, varying all the way from a guitar to a series of custom made shot glasses (hrrm). I did dozens of mock-ups, ideas and just garbage-fillers before I finally settled for what I'm now making: My own drum pedal.

It's some hybrid between the Axis Longboards and the Pearl Demon Drives, combining what's in my opinions the best features of each product. Several other pedals where also involved in the process, and, of course, a great deal of own taste of aesthetics. I started slowly a while before Christmas, but the project has to be done due april 30th, so it's starting to take shape and I'm working more intensely now, with progress done pretty much every day.

Here's the drawing/model I'm using:
(Invalid img)

Some here will instantly recognize the axis shape of the footboard. Yes, I admit that, I really like the shape of it, so I used it. I've also purchased an Axis Sonic Hammer for the beater :P

The goals I had when drawing this was that I wanted it to be:
  • A longboard
  • Direct driven
  • One-pillared
  • Create maximum possibilities for adjustments.

As you can see, most of my ideals where lived up to
The board is roughly 31 centimeters (12,2") from the heelplate to the top joint, and roughly 24 centimetres (just shy of 10 inches) of actual footspace. I have two sets of holes that connect the pillar to the baseplate, to be able to move the pillar back and forward. The wholes aren't visible as they are on the assembled drawing.

You might notice I provided the footboard/beater connector with a sled, making it possible to set the action of the beater and totally change the feel of the kick. All way back will make the beater accelerate faster, giving more power, while having it set all the way in the front should give some smoother control.

The funniest part about making your own stuff, is that you don't have to obey the plans. I'm free to change things as I go, so there will be some changes between the concept and the finished product.
I've already deviated from the original plan a little, and have more plans to do so. But here's what it looks like now:

(Invalid img)

I stripped the feather suspension system from one of my old Millennium doubles. There have been a major reform concerning the scholar system, and with that great confusing, leaving me and my classmates a very short period of making or projects. We should actually have started late september, but everyone, including teachers, where to confused to know what really was meant to do. So I had to save some time, and felt this was a good way of doing it without cheapening the project.

I'm currently working on the beater holder, the thing big thing that's on the drive shaft which the beater and the connector sled is mounted on. Shamefully the tool in the mill fell loose for some unknown reason (I certainly fastened it as supposed to!), leaving the first attempt of the beater holder damaged. The tool started wobbling and cut out big chunks of material where not supposed to, making me have to restart. Lucky I'm doing it with a CNC mill, so all I had to do was changing the tool and put in a new workpiece. Still a shame when such similarities occur.

(Invalid img)

The second attempt turned out much better, but unfortunately I didn't catch a picture of it.
However I expect to finish it tomorrow, so I'll probably have a pic by then :P

I hope you find this interesting!
I'll keep posting my progress in this thread on a day-by-day basis, now that I'm actively working on it. I'v been meaning to make this thread for a while, but I figured it wouldn't be so interesting until now
You like it
That's so kickass! Good luck getting it smoothest!

Direct drive FTW!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Haha, I can see you didn't quite expect this... P:

Oh well!
Some progress:

(Invalid img)

Cut out a new holder for the beater that the machine effed up last time. A couple of holes later and...

(Invalid img)

There's a bolt underneath that make sure it won't start sliding.

Today's plans:
(Invalid img)

Turned out nice. Made the shafts that connects to it, too. Overall a productive day, it feels great. Also did the final holes on the beater holder. Here's the outcome:
(Invalid img)

Slides really smooth! Don't worry about the rough surface, I'll polish it up later.

I'll start making the hinge between the footboard and the drive on monday, should get it done the same day...
After that it's just the footboard and the drive + some polishing and then I'll be done!
Just have to wait for the CNC mill to get free...
You like it
Last edited by linus.d at Mar 23, 2012,
that's awesome
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Haven't really got a shot at the computer lately, but don't worry: The work goes on!

Have been two slow days, nothing major done. Pretty much done small things, started fitting stuff together. Forgot to take pics of everything but here's some new stuff:

The direct drive:
(Invalid img)

the hinge between the footboard and the base plate
(Invalid img)

I also got most small parts on trumbling, meaning they'll lie in a vibrating barrel filled with small smooth rocks over the night, meaning some nice surfaces.
Decent pics tomorrow!
You like it
The first thing I looked at before even reading was the drawing, and I was like, "that is a really weird wah pedal"

Very cool to see something so different!
Quote by michaelbot9000
advantages to direct drive over chain or rope? this is sweet btw!

Faster action!
With belts and chain there's always a slight slack when the pedal is going back to 'rest' mode.
And thanks!

Quote by rapfohl09
The first thing I looked at before even reading was the drawing, and I was like, "that is a really weird wah pedal"

Very cool to see something so different!

Haha, would be nice having wah electronics in the 'body' and the pedal controlling the pots!

Thanks
You like it
Just ordinary brass bushings, squeeze-fit to the drive holes while letting the inner diameter go 2-4 hundreds of an millimeter larger than the shafts that go through them
They're sliding really good now, a spit of oil and there'll be no resistance in the joints!
You like it
Last edited by linus.d at Mar 27, 2012,
This is awesome!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
This is awesome, nice to see something apart from guitars and basses
Quote by whoomit
Wow, definitely wasn't expecting this

pretty much that.

looks pretty sweet though!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Thanks everyone!

Progress has been made today!

Hmmm, what could it be?

Think something's appearing!

Woop!
Made the footboard today, the final part of the project!
Just some grinding and polishing + some minor fitting errors and I'll be done
If only those bearings would show up, nearly two weeks since I ordered them...

The surfaces are a bit rough at the moment, it's fresh out of the mill on that pic
Didn't think that the vertical lines in the clefs would be so apparent, but I like it. I was thinking about spraying it with some copper/ish color and then flat sand it off leaving color only in the clefs but I like this more

With some luck I'll have it fully assembled tomorrow!
You like it
Looking great so far man! Just re-read your OP, I might make some shot glasses once we get the lathe up and running
HAha, yaeah. Personal shot glasses would be awesome!
You like it
BEARINGS!

And along with that, the assembly!

I even tried it out

Today's been filled with sanding, grinding and some more sanding. If you look closely at the surface of the footboard, you can see the scratches are gone, compared to the other pics

It feels like I have to paint the base plate, but I can't decide... Perhaps I'll just spray it black? For the rest of the piece, I kinda like the naked, matte aluminium color.

Suggestions?
You like it
It looks awesome, really nice job. If i were you i wouldnt paint it
what about painting everything on the footplate except the engraving black? cover up the clefs and then spray, so you have the cool liney silver design and a matt black surround.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
what about painting everything on the footplate except the engraving black? cover up the clefs and then spray, so you have the cool liney silver design and a matt black surround.

Naaah, don't really want to paint the footboard. But I feel the base plate, the sheet everything is bolted to, needs a little something. What, though, I don't know.
You like it
Quote by linus.d
Naaah, don't really want to paint the footboard. But I feel the base plate, the sheet everything is bolted to, needs a little something. What, though, I don't know.

Yeah I think so too. Anything other than black just seems... not right though
looks really nice... can we see the trumbled (?) parts close? machined ally is schmexy, but i think the base should be either black or red... or bright orange.... definitely bright orange
Quote by lozlovesstrats
looks really nice... can we see the trumbled (?) parts close? machined ally is schmexy, but i think the base should be either black or red... or bright orange.... definitely bright orange

That's not a bad idea, come think of it Definitely worth consideration!

Yeah, of course I could get some close ups of the tumbled parts
I'll snap'em first thing on Monday!
You like it
Tried it out more properly today, still not on a kick, though, and damn I like the results. Can't wait to try it for real.

Nothing new to report, just did some sanding today.
Looking for colors, should get it painted this week

I decided to have the base plate and some details bright orange, somewhat like the original plans.

But I'll put some new pics up anyway
lozlovesstrats: All the smaller where tumbled. The third and the last pics shows pretty good how the tumbled parts became

You like it
looking really nice the bright orange idea was mostly because my uncle has a laverda...

i don't know jack sh about drumming but the adjustable drive seems like a really neat idea!
I actually went and bought some orange color today, I'll paint it tomorrow!

And yeah, the adjustable drive did really turn out good. Even though it only move an inch, roughly, the difference in feel is tremendous between the two 'extreme' locations.
You like it
lozloves: Yeah :P

Anyway;

Did some painting yesterday!
Decided on painting some parts orange
Here's my... drawing.. <.<

Also filled the clefs with colour.

Masking

And here's the outcome

Bah. The colour looks really cheap on that pic. It looks much better in real.
You like it