Yet another argument with my soon-to-be ex-friend. He has been annoying me for about a week now, claiming that my musical taste sucks, and Green Day is the best band in the world.

Now we come to the definition of "overrated": Overrated individuals are praised above their actual worth. To me, Green Day is an average band; but as many of you will see (probably in one of the fans answers), Green Day is often praised as one of the best bands ever.

IMO, Green Day doesn't hold a candle against skilled bands such as Black Sabbath or AC/DC. Billie Joe is an average singer, and an average guitarist for the kind of music he makes.
He doesn't have a good voice range, but he uses his voice to good effect - that's a plus. His guitar skills don't go anywhere near hard rock and metal guitarists.

In overall, I think they're overrated due to the praise from their fans. What do you think?(Invalid img)
Quote by Blexanders
His guitar skills don't go anywhere near hard rock and metal guitarists.

lol because all hard rock and metal guitarists are great, right? lol

Oh and also no one cares and you're pretentious and sure Green Day isn't good, but it doesn't even matter, and no one cares.
for one think i don't think theres such thing as a 'bad musical taste' and i think there okay...but yeah i could name a lot of bands that have much more skill..
To say they're overrated is an understatement.
Sure they're hardly known for their musical technicality, since they're considered punk anyway, but all they ever did was rip off Stiff Little Fingers and necro-rape a dead and buried current.

But yeah, haters gonna hate 'n all that. If you like them you suck and that's fine by me okay?

peace out
I'm sure this is in the wrong section.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
first of all, they are different genres, and as far as technical abilities (Who cares, dude) lol i like black sabbath and ozzy is definately not the best singer in the world... but i still like him.
As far as your friend goes, he just likes different type of music.
well, people might "overrate" their abilities, but if people like their music, i guess the music itself isn't "overrated" O.o
Quote by Blexanders
Yet another argument with my soon-to-be ex-friend. He has been annoying me for about a week now, claiming that my musical taste sucks, and Green Day is the best band in the world.

Now we come to the definition of "overrated": Overrated individuals are praised above their actual worth. To me, Green Day is an average band; but as many of you will see (probably in one of the fans answers), Green Day is often praised as one of the best bands ever.

IMO, Green Day doesn't hold a candle against skilled bands such as Black Sabbath or AC/DC. Billie Joe is an average singer, and an average guitarist for the kind of music he makes.
He doesn't have a good voice range, but he uses his voice to good effect - that's a plus. His guitar skills don't go anywhere near hard rock and metal guitarists.

In overall, I think they're overrated due to the praise from their fans. What do you think?

This is comedy gold right here.

Green Day is a perfectly passable pop rock band who released a few decent punk albums in the past. Fans are entitle to their opinions, just like you. In my opinion, AC/DC and Black sabbath are really uninteresting. Does that mean that they're overrated? Nah. I'm just not a fan.

I listen to a lot of really technical bands, but the ones I like best are the ones who put music first and let technique open up possibilities rather than shoehorn in every technique under the sun in every song.
I'll say this: there are a lot of original and neo-Punk bands I'd listen to before listening to Green Day...not the least reason because Billie Joe sang with a lame faux-Brit accent for a while (don't know if he still does). I can't respect that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!