So I'll probably sound dumb, but I have a 09-42 string gauge and was wondering what's the lowest tuning I could drop to (and keep a decent sound and feel).
Thanks guys.
I'm guessing E standard. Those aren't thick strings at all. 10-46 is only good down to D#. Maybe standard D. But depending on how low you want to drop, and how much string tension you like is going to differ in gauge. I play with 10-56 in standard D# and drop down to B sometimes. Just try different gauges and brands. Personally, anything below a .52 low E, is to floppy period. But, that's just ME. Keep in mind thats my preference. Play around a little.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
No one but you can answer that, since we don't have any way to know what you mean by "decent sound and feel"...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Eb?

Seriously. 9s are not conducive to anything that isn't E standard or higher.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Eb?

Seriously. 9s are not conducive to anything that isn't E standard or higher.

Pfagh!

Utter rubbish.

I recognize your right to play whatever strings you want, but to blanket claim that 9's aren't playable at anything below E standard is ludicrous at best...

You do know that some well known guitarists use 7's, right...?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
9-42? How about raised F?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
But on a serious note, if you have them on, why not just go down until you think it sounds bad? go Eb then D then Db etc.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I gigged with 9 - 42's in drop D but I preferred 9-46. That was on a 25.5" scaled guitar. 9-42 worked fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification