What do you guys think of the rhythm guitarist having one solo in a song that has 2 solos.
I mean I'm the rhythm guitarist in my band, and it just feels like my job is getting pretty boring, just strumming chords and riffs. Although our lead guitarist IS the more experienced guitarist, I'm perfectly capable of doing some solos. I've talked to him about it and he said its weird if we split the solos. So what do you guys think?
Tell him he's incompetent. JK, just tell him that it isn't weird at all. Solos shouldn't really matter that much in my opinion, it's just a part of the song. I was a rhythm guitarist for my previous band and I know how it sometimes get too boring, but just stand your ground and say "I'm doing the solo in this one." and once you say it, you better deliver and learn your s**t.
The strokes have both guitarists play solos, not in one song, but between different songs the rhythm guitarist sometimes plays solos.
I mean it's obviously done, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica (in some cases).

I've been in your situation before and we eventually settled on me doing the intros, just so I could have some "leadish" parts.
trivium has 2 guitarist and they both play solos, so does Megadeth, the damned things has 3 guitarist and 2 of them solo iron maiden currently has 3 guitar players and they all solo, killswitch engaged has 2 guitar players that have solos. plenty of bands have 2 guitar players that solo, as long as you can handle the solo i dont see anything weird about that at all
The end of Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home" has both Claudio and Travis trading guitar solos. There's even a part where both guitarists are playing two separate solos at the same time and making them blend.
Alter Bridge split the solos.
Mark Tremonti is obviously the better guitarist but Myles Kennedy is perfectly capable of soloing and he actually does it pretty well. and it doesnt need to be in the same song either.
In fact, in alter bridge, even though tremonti is the main guitarist kennedy does the leads (licks inbetween lines really) whilst tremonti does the rythm and riffs.
A lot of bands split solos between two guitarists. People hate on Dragonforce a lot, but they're one of the best examples of this that I can think of. Herman Li is a much better guitarist than Sam Totman, but they often do back-and-forth "solo battling" with some harmonization mixed in. I think they do it very well and makes the song more exciting.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
You guys could harmonize lead lines like Baroness. You can come up with some really out of the box unique sounds by doing so.
He's an idiot.

Next time you're playing a gig, kick him off the stage and play his solo while he lies in the pool of his own blood.
1,000s of bands do it.

I'm mostly a rhythm guitarist myself, but I wouldn't join a band unless I knew I'd get one or two solos each gig.

Speak to the rest of the band. If they agree with him, you're in the wrong band. If they agree with you, he's in the wrong band.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It's stupid to think it can't be done. It would hinder the song in no way unless one of the solos really sucked, and it would probably enhance the song even more. I say do it. I play most of the solos in my band but I encourage our other guitarist to solo too. He writes good harmonies and does lead type riffs over my rhythm riffs sometimes, or during one breakdown I do the chugging while he holds out some chords. Definitely go for it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
You guys listed the "Newer" Bands..

Lynard Skinard, Molly Hatchet, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Steely Dan, Eagles.. just off the top of my head...

Tell your "Lead" player to GTFO of your way and RIP IT!!!!
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
There's no problem in having the rhythm guitarist get a few solos- if there's room in a song for two solos, switch off. Otherwise, switch off songs. For example Song A you can solo but Song B and C the lead player can solo. He's still the lead after all
The whole "rhythym/lead guitarist" dichotomy is somewhat b.s. anyway.

He should be willing to let you take a solo here and there. He should be willing to do some of the yeoman's work of holding down rhythm parts.

Some of the best guitarwork ever played came as a function of two guitarists dynamically playing off of each other. Listen, for example, to the entire "Layla" album.

A good musician doesn't obsess about needing every single lead. He's willing to share and work with other musicians to maximize the whole. A bandleader needs to step in and make sure that everybody is happy by giving them nuggets here and there.
All that should matter is how the song ends up sounding. The listener can tell which instrument is doing what, at least subconsciously, so make sure you're taking the listener on the journey you intend on taking them on, whether it's a flawless unified movement of sound, or a trading of voices and characters. Who gets bored or who has fun or who gets the audience's attention should not matter (unless you're specifically thinking of stage presence at live shows)
There is sooo many bands that do this, its not even funny. Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Machine Head, Trivium, Alter Bridge, Dragonforce, The Showdown.... The list is endless.

Me and the "lead" guitarist split solos almost always. If a song has one solo, he usually does it on his own, and if it has two, i usually do the shorter one. This is pretty much because he is the better guitarist, and i do most of the vocal work.

Sometimes tho, if there is a key change during the solos, we even trade of during the solo itself, so he plays the first part, i play the second part in the other key, and then he does the last part. I think Megadeth does this in some songs. Its great fun, and i think it encurages everyone to play better, because we both subconsciously want to play "better" than the other one, so it brings out the best effort :P We even have a song that has us both playing lead for about 7seconds, and then we switch, and we just throw solos back and forth. Its fun, and the audience usually loves it live

We also do harmonized stuff before or after solo, and even do two different solos at the same time. Listen to Machine Head for that. That is a bit trickier since you have to make them complement eachother. But in my experience this kind of playing makes a lot more things possible, songwriting wise, since you are not limited with what each guitar "should" be doing.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by HotspurJr
The whole "rhythym/lead guitarist" dichotomy is somewhat b.s. anyway.

He should be willing to let you take a solo here and there. He should be willing to do some of the yeoman's work of holding down rhythm parts.

Some of the best guitarwork ever played came as a function of two guitarists dynamically playing off of each other. Listen, for example, to the entire "Layla" album.

A good musician doesn't obsess about needing every single lead. He's willing to share and work with other musicians to maximize the whole. A bandleader needs to step in and make sure that everybody is happy by giving them nuggets here and there.

^ This.

How about skip the whole "lead guitarist" and "rhythm guitarist" and simply have "guitarist" and "guitarist?"

The first f**ktard who stands up on their soapbox and whines about "but EEEEYEEE want to be the LEEED guitarist" gets kicked out of the band.

Once the egos and insecurities are set aside, it doesn't matter a lick who does what.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ ... although "second" and "other" still, though tacitly, refer to that person being somehow less important or less skilled.

"Oh, he must not be that good, because he's the *second* guitarist."

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
The first f**ktard who stands up on their soapbox and whines about "but EEEEYEEE want to be the LEEED guitarist" gets kicked out of the band.

Once the egos and insecurities are set aside, it doesn't matter a lick who does what.

CT

I Love this..

Although, in my band I am the lead guitarist, but thats be cause the Rhythm Guitarist plays his "Lead licks" on a Harmonica... (of course while he's playing harp, I'm the ONLY guitarist... )

I do however get your point... I've played with some "Rhythm" Guitar players that couldn't play Rhythm at all because they forgot that playing that part is as much percussion as it is Chords and Tone...

Rhythm Gutar has gotten a reputaion over the years that its a lesser role in a band than the "Lead" Guitar player. Thats sad.. Good Rhythm players are hard to find...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
There's no set way of doing it, no 'rules', written or unwritten. There's also nothing weird about splitting solos, plenty of bands do it.
It's been said before here, and i'll say it again: Iron Maiden. Now they prove that this is perfectly acceptable, indeed that it is a very good thing. Your two different styles could compliment each other, or give an interesting contrast.

In my band, I play the solos in songs I like more, and the other guitarist plays them in the ones he likes. Whoever's not playing lead plays rhythm, everybody's happy!

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
How about when the next time it's your turn to solo, you shoot yourself in the fawking face, that will show him.
^ Or next time it's HIS turn to solo, shoot HIM in the face.

THAT will show him.

CT

Quote by SlackerBabbath
Shoot the audience... that'll show 'em all.

UG does not condone the encouragement of illegal activities.

Warned.

CT

According to my guitar hero records, not only is this done, but the most "technical" bands tend to treat this like a staple
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
For 'it would be weird' I read 'doesn't want to share focus' tell him to get a grip.
SMILE!
Quote by axemanchris
UG does not condone the encouragement of illegal activities.

Warned.

CT

Oh, so it's ok to shoot the guitarist but not the audience?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Oh, so it's ok to shoot the guitarist but not the audience?

Yes. There are too many guitarists, and culling the herd is a necessity of maintaining balance in the ecosystem.

But as anyone who has ever tried to sell a band knows, there are never enough audience members. Killing one of them would be wrong.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Yes. There are too many guitarists, and culling the herd is a necessity of maintaining balance in the ecosystem.

Actualy, as a bass player, (which seems to be an endangered species around here at the moment) I thoroughly support and endorse this proposal.
Quote by axemanchris

But as anyone who has ever tried to sell a band knows, there are never enough audience members. Killing one of them would be wrong.

CT

Go and play a gig to a bunch of hecklers, then come back and tell me if you've changed your mind on that one Chris.
These thread has derailed pretty beautifully, but getting back to the main topic: having the 'rhythm guitarist' play 'lead' sometimes is entirely fine. Tim Renwick got a few solos with Pink Floyd as a session guitarist including this one in Learning to Fly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlcTDNaerQU

A lot of times the 'rhythm' vs 'lead' dichotomy either happens due to the respective strengths of the guitarists or are a matter of "who came up with which part". Which is pretty natural... I guess when either guitarist can play either part and it's a cover then there's a bit of grey area. But I think it's great to be able to have everyone step up and have a little time in the spotlight; so long as they want it, and have enough ability to not make a total fool of themselves (without a sense of humor about it anyway).
TS must demand equal time as the "lead attention *****".

Demand that adoring fans worship guitar #1 on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Guitar #2 gets worship on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Sunday is the day of rest.

Revenues from worship service collection plates shall be applied to procurement of golden idol statues of both guitarists with fiendishly ripped pecs and biceps, and long flowing hair. Singer and drummer are required to polish statues daily, and bass player must bathe the statues in a constant array of flattering light.

Man... what I wouldn't have done to have my previous band's other guitar player demand to share solos. I tried to shame him into learning some, but he never cared to try.

Get other band members to play "Survivor" tactics, and vote "lead" guitarist off the island. Then get ALL solos!
Aw man... looked for the "everybody solo" clip from Wayne's World. Couldn't find it.

CT