Me and my band have decided to change our sound a little bit.
I use a 7 string tuned to:
eb/D#
Bb/A#
Gb/F#
Db/C#
Ab/G#
Eb/D#
Bb/A#

One of us came up with an interesting idea of a sound that sounds kinda like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITimEOh3lvM
This song is probably played with a guitar tuned to Drop Db or C. And the bass probably in Drop d.
We want to play this song as a test. I transpose the drop chords to my tuning by using the root note and it works well but the bass sounds a bit off.

And yes I suck at music theory
So my question is:
What is the optimal bass tuning to go with my guitar tuning?
Last edited by Lyrax at Mar 22, 2012,
If the bassist is using a four string, I'd go with drop tuning it. If he's using a five string, match it to the bottom five strings of the guitar.
Quote by Geldin
If the bassist is using a four string, I'd go with drop tuning it. If he's using a five string, match it to the bottom five strings of the guitar.

We have talked about using a 5 string. But as it looks now we have to wait for it.
He is using a 4string right now. What drop tuning would fit the best?
If you're dropping the E string to a D, then drop D. If you're dropping the E string to a C#, then Drop C#.
Quote by Geldin
If you're dropping the E string to a D, then drop D. If you're dropping the E string to a C#, then Drop C#.

Thanks!
Quote by Geldin

Wait, we won`t play it in drop tuning. We will transpose the song to my 7 string tuning. The original song is probably in drop-C#.
Shouldn`t we just tune the bottom 4 strings of the bass to what my 4 bottom strings are tuned to?
Isn`t that logical? Should I be thinking that way or is it wrong?
Quote by Lyrax
Wait, we won`t play it in drop tuning. We will transpose the song to my 7 string tuning. The original song is probably in drop-C#.
Shouldn`t we just tune the bottom 4 strings of the bass to what my 4 bottom strings are tuned to?

well I supose you could try that, but why don't you tune it to what the other bass is tuned to? if you think its drop C# try tuning the bass to drop C#
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
well I supose you could try that, but why don't you tune it to what the other bass is tuned to? if you think its drop C# try tuning the bass to drop C#

Because they're transposing the song to the lower key of the 7 string. That won't work at all.

Quote by Lyrax

No, that's absolutely fine, 99% of the time the bass should be tuned to the same notes as the lowest part of the guitar. There are some exceptions but this isn't one of them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Because they're transposing the song to the lower key of the 7 string. That won't work at all.

No, that's absolutely fine, 99% of the time the bass should be tuned to the same notes as the lowest part of the guitar. There are some exceptions but this isn't one of them.

okay that makes sense I thought he was looking to play the song on a 7-string as opposed to changing the key of the song.... wow I feel dumb now
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
So basically the bass should be tuned to:
Db
Ab
Eb
Bb
If I understood it right. Thank you!
I have one tiny question left! What string gauge should we use on the bass for better stability?
If you're just going down a half step, standard 5 string gauge ought to be alright, but if you want a tighter response and more string tension, just go up to the next heaviest. I'm not entirely sure what basses use, so I can't give you a number.
Quote by Geldin
If you're just going down a half step, standard 5 string gauge ought to be alright, but if you want a tighter response and more string tension, just go up to the next heaviest. I'm not entirely sure what basses use, so I can't give you a number.

I think that the best idea would be to ask the guys in the music store. The gauge required is definitely thicker than standard!

Thank you guys!
Some recordings may soon pop up on my page if you are interested in how it will turn out