Hey there. New to the forums.

Some time ago I started having the problem that when I'm playing my guitar, as I move, the tone of my guitar through the amp fades out dramatically, and becomes very very weak all of a sudden, as with almost no tone whatsoever - particularly when moving the guitar to a "lying position" while playing it. I first thought it could be the amp or the cable (which is one of those mega strong and thick good quality immortal cables), but when I unplug the cable from the guitar everything appears to be functioning well (I touch the different parts of the plug to check if it's working as it should hearing the sound of it, and everything seems normal). And the most strange thing is that when I replug the cable after unplugging it from the the guitar or amp, even if I only unplugged it for 1 second, the problem is automatically fixed (until I move the guitar a bit again, of course).

Somewhere on the Internet I read about someone having a similar (or the same) problem, and a guy told him it must have been his pickups, wiring or pots. Well, I checked my wiring and everything seems to be alright, and I've just changed my bridge pickup for a new one. Plus, I'm havng this problem since before I changed it and the problem occurs with both pickups, not only with one. So my guess is that it should be the tone pot, what do you think? I think that if it is a pot, it must be that one, since the problem occurs with both pickups simultaneously. I haven't tried new cable or testing another guitar on the amp or vice-versa, but I'm pretty convinced it's something with the guitar.

I think the most weird thing is the fact that the problem is fixed immediately when I unplug and replug the cable, while nothing happens when I move the knobs or wiring. Please, help!
Last edited by roboc666 at Mar 22, 2012,
Nope, I've got a stock (passive) B.C. Rich on the neck (the one that came with my Warlock) and a new Entwistle Nemesis on the bridge. I think the problem can't be the pickups, since it occurs with all three positions of the switch and also occurred when I had the stock pickup on the bridge.

p.s.: Important edit on the original message: first I said that the tone disappeared completely, but just now I noticed that it almost disappears. It becomes very weak but still can be reduced to none with the tone knob.
Last edited by roboc666 at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by roboc666
Hey there. New to the forums.

I think the most weird thing is the fact that the problem is fixed immediately when I unplug and replug the cable, while nothing happens when I move the knobs or wiring. Please, help!

Welcome to UG.

I'm thinking there is a bad solder connection with the insert jack on the guitar.
Thanks for the response .

Actually, I even replaced the jack and paid a lot of attention when soldering so that it could be well fixed, but the problem continued.

Could it be some solder of the tone pot? Maybe something wrong with the connection between the tone pot and the jack. I thought about that, even though it looks good to me. But if it was a weakened solder, what would be the explanation of the fact that when I unplug and replug the cable that goes to the amp the tone is restored, even with minimum guitar movement?