Looking at getting an Ibanez GRX20 and a Fender Mustang 1.

Opinions? Is this complete trash or not bad for the money? I have fairly wide musical tastes, I like playing classic rock, 90s grunge and some metal but nothing crazy. I just have an acoustic at the moment.
Last edited by thr_wedge at Mar 23, 2012,
Also my budget is around $250 with $275 being really the top end so that's why I was looking at these guitars. Are there any other budget guitars I should consider?

More than $300 and I'm looking at waiting another 6-8 months before I get something.
What equipment do you have at the moment? Do you have gigging aspirations? Is it feasible to work and get more money?
SMILE!
Consider ZZounds.com and make payments no interest might be an option. Not saying you should, but just letting you know options for some cool gear.
No gigging aspirations, just jamming in the bedroom and for my family.

All I have now is an acoustic (Yamaha FG700S) which I really like. I set it up, slightly lowered the action and it plays great. I also have the usual guitar accessories.

I would anticipate that anything in this price range is going to need a decent setup to get it playing well.

Skill wise, I am a beginner for sure.

More money is going to be very difficult at the moment due to some major non-music related expenses. But if this gear is not worth it, I'll wait as necessary.
Last edited by thr_wedge at Mar 23, 2012,
I checked out the GRX20 and was very disappointed. Will probably be going used to maximize my money.
Quote by thr_wedge
I checked out the GRX20 and was very disappointed. Will probably be going used to maximize my money.

Good plan. Look for a used Rg321, rg370/350, rg470.
The last 3 may need their trems blocked and the very last is made in japan.
I got my rg470 a couple weeks back for $150. Its comparable to my prestige beside the bridge (which I blocked anyhow)
I have a Mustang 1. It's a great little practice amp with built in effects and amp modeling. Probably the best $100 amp on the market. I have much more expensive amps, but the M1 gets as much use as any of them.
Look for used ESP LTD's

If you want new I suggest a Douglas Spad from rondomusic.com and a peavey vypyr 15 from musiciansfriend.com
Thanks guys, I think I may have found a used LTD that is a lot nicer than the low end Ibanez.