So, I've been looking around for a half stack and I found a head for dirt cheap, but it's 200w, and it's a bitch trying to find a 200w cab.
So, I was wondering if I could use a 100w cab and not turn it passed halfway (I'll probably never even go 1/4 of the way:p) without blowing the speakers.
yes you could use it, but you'll mostlikely ruin it eventualy.

I don't under stand, most cabs are 200+ watts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Sullinger
So, I've been looking around for a half stack and I found a head for dirt cheap, but it's 200w, and it's a bitch trying to find a 200w cab.
So, I was wondering if I could use a 100w cab and not turn it passed halfway (I'll probably never even go 1/4 of the way:p) without blowing the speakers.

and it's a guitar amp.. What kind?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Robbgnarly
yes you could use it, but you'll mostlikely ruin it eventualy.

I don't under stand, most cabs are 200+ watts

What? I've honestly only come across a few 200w cabs... WAIT! Unless it's like combos, where it says 60w on the back but it only goes to 30w, but it's a cab, so it really can go to 200w!
Quote by Sullinger
What? I've honestly only come across a few 200w cabs... WAIT! Unless it's like combos, where it says 60w on the back but it only goes to 30w, but it's a cab, so it really can go to 200w!

That didn't even make sense.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG412HBK
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/guitars/guitar-amps/fender-mustang-v-412-speaker-cabinet
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/laney-lv412a-guitar-extension-speaker-cabinet--35572

Found 3 right off the bat. The Fender and the Laney both use Celestion Rocket 50's. So you could potentially just get an empty cab and put those speakers in it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Sullinger

Do not use a cabinet that has a lower power rating than the amplifier itself. If you crank it, you can destroy the speakers and the amp.

Having a cabinet that exceeds the rating of the amplifier is completely safe though, just as long as you match the amplifier's impedance with the cab's. You do not necessarily need a 200w cab to run a 200w head. You can run any cab as long as its 200w or above.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 22, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Do not use a cabinet that has a lower power rating than the amplifier itself. If you crank it, you can destroy the speakers and the amp.

Having a cabinet that exceeds the rating of the amplifier is completely safe though, just as long as you match the amplifier's impedance with the cab's. You do not necessarily need a 200w cab to run a 200w head. You can run any cab as long as its 200w or above.

Well, do you think it'd be safe as long as I don't turn it up more than 1/4 of the way?
Quote by Sullinger
Well, do you think it'd be safe as long as I don't turn it up more than 1/4 of the way?

Probably, but its certainly not ideal.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Well, here's the trick...

The Kustom Company rated this amp at 200 watts @ 4ohms... but they reccomend going no lower than 8 ohms per connection... So basically, yea.. if you wire it right into a couple of 8 ohm cabs.. since the output jacks are wired in series you'll get 200 watts out of it...

Running a 16 ohm cab will cut that in half right?.. so it'll only put 100 watts out to the speaker...

C'mon Amp experts.. I don't know if my math is right.. but I don't think he's going to blow a good quality 4x12 cab...

Here's the link to the Manual I was able to find..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
The old roll pleated kustoms were solid state.you want more cab than amp. marshall,randall,hell go to craigs list.You can find cabs for near nothing.
IMO don't throw money into getting an $80 head to work. can get something that suits you better for the same money considering looking for two cabs, you could do better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
crap head, but thats just my opinion.

do not use a lower wattage cab. volume pots are not necessarily linear (they aren't wattage controls, they are volume controls. volume does not follow the same curve as wattage), so its tough to gauge whether you're still safe or not.

really though, its not hard to find a 200+watt cab for under $250. it'll be muddy and not too sophisticated, but it will work.