Hey all.

Am looking into getting a new amp and have settled on the Vox VT20+ at £129.99.

It's going to be used in band rehearsals and, despite the name, is a 30W amp. 8 inch speaker @ 4 ohms.

Currently in use is a tragic 15 watt Marshall MG15DFX, isn't easily audible over the drums at all though it's still audible to an extent. It's hard to judge because you can't turn the sod up above volume 5 without it squealing like a pig.

Would rather not get the 60W VT40+, next model up because:
a) It's £35 extra and I'm going to be paying this thing off for the next year as it is
b) I need to lug it into college every Friday on an hour long bus journey each way... yeah.

Tl;dr. Reckon a Vox VT20+ with an overwound Alnico II Pro based strat running through it could topple drums? At least, for rehearsal, anyway.

Cheers
We don't, however in the college rehearsal rooms there is a Peavey stack the vocalists use, think it's a PR series? Never tried it myself.
Just keep your MG and mic it. Save your money for a decent amp. That one you're looking at isn't going to cut it, unless the drummer is an infant.
The MG is terrible and I can't afford anything more unless I save for years.

With normal playing/rehearsals of whatever we're doing the 15 watter is actually audible. It's when we have the odd jam session and the drummer goes crazy that it lags a bit.
This thing?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-valvetronix-vt20-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp
Most likely not.

What about buying a used amp? Can you leave it where you practice?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Would rather stay away from used amps given this is a stupid amount of money I'm spending given my financial situation. Life of a broke college student aye.

Worst comes to the worst, would the VT40+ do it?

Can't leave it where I practice unfortunately.
I did quite a few rehearsals with a MG30DFX. So I'd say anything above 30watts or a 10" speaker should do.
Yup.
Why the big love for the VT series? I mean they ain't bad, but personally, I'd take Vypyr over one.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Quote by spleenharvester
Would rather stay away from used amps given this is a stupid amount of money I'm spending given my financial situation. Life of a broke college student aye.

Worst comes to the worst, would the VT40+ do it?

I mean like you could get a louder amp for the same amount of money (or less) if you look for a good deal on a used one.
The VT40 would be better, but I imagine it would still struggle to get over drums. I have a 35w ss combo with a 10 inch speaker and I have to crank it to 10 and put it on a box to play with a band.
If a new VT40 is your only option then I would get that, because that little VT30 is meant for like solo practice.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
For anyone reading, I bought the VT40+ in the end, marvelous amp and copes with drums wonderfully. Cheers all!
Quote by AgentOrange...
Why the big love for the VT series? I mean they ain't bad, but personally, I'd take Vypyr over one.

Im the opposite, id take the vt over the vyper or any other sub $300 amp. I think the bottom line on super cheap amps is vyper for metal, vt for everything else.

Ts HNAD!
Make a NAD thread, the more pics the better.

HNAD
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?