Hey guys,

So I'm trying to cure the boredom of being home for easter by shopping, or planning shopping, and I'm sort of looking for a replacement for my big muff. It's just not very......good.

Anyway, there's loads of fuzz tones I love from Froosh through to Hendrix, Smashing Pumkins right up to doom type stuff. I'd also like to use it on bass. I know that's a silly long list so ideally I want something with a lot of low end and plenty of gain. Versatility is a plus!

I'm just looking right now, I hear good things about http://www.blackouteffectors.com/?page_id=402 and http://proguitarshop.com/black-arts-toneworks-pharaoh-fuzz.html on these boards. I also hear good things about the way huge swollen pickle but I'm kinda put off by the amount of tweaking required.

Hopefully around the £100 mark. Any suggestions/advice, fire away!
Look up Devi Ever. She makes a lot of weird stuff.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I don't know why but I've always got the impression her stuff is very bright and aggressive and that it wouldn't suit me but I'll have a gander anyway, thanks. I was also looking at some dwarfcraft stuff but I'm starting to think it may be a bit....much :P
Well, Frusciante used a Boss FZ-3 when he rejoined the band in around '97, then moved onto a EHX Big Muff. He used a Fuzz Factory somewhere along the line too.

Where Hendrix used Fuzz Faces and I think something built by Roger Mayer, but generally Hendrix' fuzz is that of a Face.

Dunno about the Pumpkins, but I know Billy Corgan was going to get a sig pedal from Devi Ever til some complications arose.

No idea what fuzz would work for doom either!

Unfortunately I don't know what pedal you'd have to get to get the tones you want, cos you're after tones which come from varying ends of the spectrum, but if you try out all the popular ones (EHX' stuff, as well as the various Fuzz Faces out there, the Hendrix one is meant to be great, and the new Eric Johnson Fuzz Face would be worth checking out too, as well as some of the more obscure ones) you'll probably end up finding what you're after!

...fuzz is a surprisingly in-depth topic! =P
The Pharaoh doesn't have that much gain, for doom and Smashing Pumpkins you could get a Big Muff Pi or maybe a DBA Fuzz War.
check out some pedal demos from gearmandude0 at youtube he's done lots of demos on fuzz boxes,

and like someone else said devi ever has some cool pedals, also billy corgan from sp used a fender blender but that pedal is really expensive

also i think the fuzz factory from i don't remember who is popular amongst some fuzz enthusiasts
Quote by nirvanapwns
check out some pedal demos from gearmandude0 at youtube he's done lots of demos on fuzz boxes,

and like someone else said devi ever has some cool pedals, also billy corgan from sp used a fender blender but that pedal is really expensive

also i think the fuzz factory from i don't remember who is popular amongst some fuzz enthusiasts

Gearmandude does great demos in general but if you want to hear how fuzzes and distortions sound while playing chords, you're gonna be disappointed.

Fender Blender's aren't that expensive (the reissue anyway, originals are VERY expensive). You can get a brand new one for $80 on ebay.
Quote by Polar13
The Pharaoh doesn't have that much gain, for doom and Smashing Pumpkins you could get a Big Muff Pi or maybe a DBA Fuzz War.

Hes already got a Muff man. I'd vote for a Swollen Pickle. You don't have to do all that internal tweaking stuff really i think it was just placed there as an extra for people who want more. That or a Blackout musket fuzz offers something similar to your Muff but more improved and tweakable. Then theres Fuzz Face style stuff you might want for teh Hendrix toanz.
Last edited by redandwhite12 at Mar 22, 2012,
Hey, thanks for the replies, there's lots of stuff here I'd not thought of. I realise I'm trying to cover a lot of tones here, that's why ideally something that has plenty of balls and low end and can get pretty heavy, and hopefully clean up to more garage blues-y type tones would be a pretty good compromise.

Just to point out my current muff is a tone wicker one - Tbh it just doesn't cut it for guitar or bass, BUT my friend's stock NYC muff seems to sound a lot better, even if it only does one sound. I might see what his is like with my laney and GT-OD.

I still like the looks of the swollen pickle and musket fuzz, since I think they'd cover a lot of ground pretty well. I'll have a look into Devi, DBA, Fuzz factories and Fuzz faces to see how many tones I want they can pull off.
Quote by redandwhite12
Hes already got a Muff man. I'd vote for a Swollen Pickle.

Confusled. Swollen Pickle is basically a muff.

Threadstarter: Corgan used a Big Muff, Froosh use(d) a Big Muff, bass is good with muff. But you already have a Big Muff. so you can either upgrade that with a Musket or Pharaoh, or get some different flavour like a Fuzz Face for Hendrix kinda sounds.
Actually the more I see the more I like the look of the musket. £132 shipped....Maybe once my next student loan payment comes in :P Anyone know where I'll stand in terms of import taxes?