This summer I am going to finally going to buy a street bike. I've done some research and kinda my early favorite has been the Honda CBR; particularly the CBR600. I've seen some used ones in the ballpark of $3000-4000.

Some questions I have:

-I've seen a lot of positive stuff, but what do you guys think about the CBRs?

-I ridden some dirt bikes and stuff, have very limited experience riding on the street - is a 600cc to much for a novice rider?

-Any other similar bikes I might want to check out?

-Helmet Recommendations?

Thanks Guys
Motor bikes are for degenerates. Motor bike riders are just as filthy as people who wear T shirts and women that wear dresses that expose their ankles.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Motor bikes are for degenerates. Motor bike riders are just as filthy as people who wear T shirts and women that wear dresses that expose their ankles.

k, old guy.
Quote by BDR_23
k, old guy.

Yes, go on and mock me when I bring up the problem of moral degradation in our society.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Captain Insano
...-I've seen a lot of positive stuff, but what do you guys think about the CBRs?

Had a friend who swore by them, even after he broke his leg one a couple of weeks before completing his pilot training. So much for that career...
Quote by Captain Insano
-I ridden some dirt bikes and stuff, have very limited experience riding on the street - is a 600cc to much for a novice rider?

Had another friend who bough a Yamaha R6 as his first bike. He dumped it in the first week, totalling it, so then went on to replace it with an R1.

Quote by Captain Insano
...-Any other similar bikes I might want to check out?

It's all a matter of personal preference. Just get anything, get experienced on the street, then shop around a lot for your 1000+cc next bike.

Quote by Captain Insano
...-Helmet Recommendations?

Full face, Snell rated. But they're not magic. In most of the bike fatalalities I've had to deal with, the riders had helmets, but it's kind of skewed because helmets were mandatory for the circumstances. Unless you like the idea of having your skin ripped off, full leathers and good boots are a must, too. There's 2 kinds of riders: Those who have fallen, then those who haven't... ...yet.

Just watch out for the other guy. The last friend I lost on a bike was riding his Hog back from a funeral and he got caught between one car rear-ending another one on the highway.
I love the CBRs, but a CBR600 might be a little much for a first timer. Unless you make a habit of driving Veyrons and Ferrari Italias and the like, and if you've only ridden dirt bikes, a 600cc I4 sport bike will absolutely blow your goddamn mind with how fast it is. You might can pull it off, but be very careful.

I still recommend starting with something not quite so fast. Something like the Ninja 650R, maybe an FZ6R or a GS500 might be a better choice. And the Ninja 250 and my CBR250R and the like are always going to be favorites for first-timers. It's not like they're boring - they might not have the straight-line performances of the 600 I4s, but you'd be surprised how far the little featherweights can be pushed in the twisties.

Some more general advice:

-go used. You WILL drop your first bike, and if you drop a brand new CBR600 at any decent speed, it will SUCK. (not even getting into your own injuries, just talking about replacing fairings and such) Dropping a five-year old Ninja 250? That will not suck nearly as much.

-Armor up. The minimum is gonna be a jacket, a helmet and some gloves. Factor these in - they are expensive too.

-see if there's an MSF course in your area. They'll teach you plenty of things about staying safe.

-once you get onto the road, assume everyone else on the road is too retarded to walk and breathe at the same time.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Mar 22, 2012,
Harley's are for fags
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.