Here's the thing guys, For about a month now I've been writing my first batch of songs. The problem is I haven't been able to finish a single one. I play guitar mostly but I also play synths and I like to slap some bass too. Should I scale back on these other instruments? I think they're distracting me. If I try work on the bass to something I usually end up starting something else or I just play something random. I know it's weird that I'm complaining about having too many ideas but I want to know if I should keep working on stuff bit by bit or just focus on guitar and worry about the rest later.

Any and all other songwriting tips would be great too.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
I mean, a lot of it comes down to focus and being motivated to finish your stuff.

however, you shouldn't worry too much about unfinished songs. finish them when you're inspired to finish them. no sense in forcing yourself to finish something right away.
Thanks mate. I don't suppose you have any tricks that help you to focus cos I would really appreciate the help.
I think that is my main problem but i suppose you're right that i shouldn't rush the songs or else they could well end up sounding like crap.
You want me?

Keep doing what you are doing man i do it all the time. one day you be jamming or reading over your lyrics and it will just hit and your probably end up writing the rest of the song. And after a while you already have a bunch of song writing in dead of a few writing you know what i meant
Quote by PMR24
Keep doing what you are doing man i do it all the time. one day you be jamming or reading over your lyrics and it will just hit and your probably end up writing the rest of the song. And after a while you already have a bunch of song writing in dead of a few writing you know what i meant

Good to know i'm not alone in bit by bit songwriting. Now though i've got 2 guys telling me different things. Sure could use a tiebreaker opinion over here......
You want me?

Some days I can write and record a song in a day.

Other days it comes slower. Most recent song was written over the course of a week. Started with a riff, then a structure, then the lyrics to the verses and the bridge. Chorus came last (usually the thing I try get first) then I arranged it all. Now I'm learning it and tidying certain parts up.

But yeah, I like to think of the "infinite number of monkeys will type Shakespeare" thing. You keep at it and boom, it'll happen.
Ok so i've written some lyrics and have nearly finnished one of my songs. It sort of has a bit of a thom yorke synth vibe (radiohead being my favourite band) before a rock out ending. Here's the lyrics which can always be improved if anybody has any suggestions.

Don't move
Don't think
You'll destroy your world

Don't lose
your nerve

Don't leave
Don't breath

It's near
It's here

It's now
See how
We'll destroy the world

No cure
Unsure
We can't save your world

I can not hear you
I can not see you
I can not help you
I can not save you.

I know they're not great but hey it's a first draft of my first official song but any suggestions on how to improve them would be great.
You want me?