Ok so im 16 and im currently looking for a job. I have an epiphone acoustic guitar (im not getting another acoustic i like this one to much). I have a Squier Strat (Horrible!) and a line 6 spider 15. Ive been playing for like a month im just getting back into it after a year break. Total ive played about 3 years. I like mostly hard rock and metal. My favorite guitarist are slash Synester gates and randy rhoads. I live in a fairly close area with my family so i cant get an amp that needs to be really loud ( ). So my question is what peice of gear should i upgrade first? I was told my electric guitar. It truly is a peice of shit. Im also currently not gigging or anything or the sort. Im waiting till i can drive to form a band. I have a budget of like 300 usd. It can be new or used. Also i dont wanna spend over this because i have way to many other expenses to pay for without a job or with a minimum wage job when i get one:p. Thanks for reading and i hope this was enough info to educate me in the right direction
If i were you I'd pay to get the Squier properly set up. Should only take a fraction of your budget, and a well set-up Squier can be a decent guitar. I would look at getting a better amp if I were you, the nicest guitar in the world will sound bad through a Spider
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
upgrade the amp, no matter how good your guitar is the spider will hold you back tone wise
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by pawnluv
upgrade the amp, no matter how good your guitar is the spider will hold you back tone wise

Can't agree more... Spiders are great for when your at home but when it comes to jamming with other musicians. It just doesn't mix well with the other instruments...

Save the cash, bare the terrible gear. And get yourself a killer combo or stack. Your Guitars will thank you!
So get the squier setup with a passive humbucker and then get a tube amp? What size should i get for just my house? or doesnt it really matter?
I would say going to numerous amount of guitar shops and just jamming out on some amps is going to be the best.... BUUUUUT!

Since this is a forum, I will post my thoughts on some amps that I have found pretty slammin for a decent price

- Blackstar Venue 40W (600 US) Has a really nice classic british tone, has a nice clean sound
- Peavey 6505 60W (600 US) Pretty crazy high distortions, lacks of a clean channel

Hope it helps!
Current Gear

Gibson Les Paul Double Cut (Dimarzio D Sonic Bridge PUP)
PRS SE Custom
Mexi Fender Telecaster

Vox AC-30

Krank Distortus Maximus Distortion
Electro Harmonics Big Muff Pi
Boss Chorus Ensemble
MXR Phase 90
I'd say upgrade the guitar first. Amp is all about tone, guitar affects technique and ease of playing.

The spiders aren't as bad as people make them to be. I've owned one and it truly isn't horrible, not saying that it's good by any means .

Although the current trend on UG has been to recommend to get an amp first, those people have better guitars.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
If you learn how to set up the squier you won't need a new guitar. But you do need a new amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
If you learn how to set up the squier you won't need a new guitar. But you do need a new amp.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe a decent set of pickups too but amp before that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just re-read your post. Didn't see the part about forming a band after you can drive.

The *cough* legal *cough* driving age in most states is 16 and 3 months? so it's right around the corner. In that case, getting an amp is wiser.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Mik-E1989
I would say going to numerous amount of guitar shops and just jamming out on some amps is going to be the best.... BUUUUUT!

Since this is a forum, I will post my thoughts on some amps that I have found pretty slammin for a decent price

- Blackstar Venue 40W (600 US) Has a really nice classic british tone, has a nice clean sound
- Peavey 6505 60W (600 US) Pretty crazy high distortions, lacks of a clean channel

Hope it helps!
Those would be far too loud for OP's needs. In fact, maybe OP would like a POD. POD 2.0s probably go for just over 100USD and you could use it with headphones, also having the ability to record and having built in effects. Add that to the fact that they've been used on multiple famous records means they gotta be decent right?

Also, +1 on the guitar set up, could make a world of difference.

You could also look at the POD XT, POD X3 and POD HD ranges or alternatives depending on how much you plan to spend...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 22, 2012,
Imo it's a bit of a waste buying a tiny amp straight off the bat. Better with something that is capable of jamming with your mates that can be turned down. ie a 30W+ tube amp with a master volume. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Small amps are for screwing around with at home or in a studio AFTER you have a rig capable of jamming. I love my small tube amps but I would never want to have nothing else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd suggest either a small tube amp like cathbard said, or a peavey vypyr tube 60. they're $450 new, but you should be able to find one used for just over $300. that would be a better solution if you want to have effects and different amp types without spending a lot of money. also get the squier set up.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I think im going to first drop a humbucker in my squier and lower the action and make it more suitable for the style i wanna play and then get probably a pod 2.0. That method sounds like it will save me alot of money and then when i need a bigger amp ill aldready have pretty much saved
Sounds like a good idea, however if you are planning on dropping a humbucker in your strat, are you implying that it does not already have one, just curious. Hopefully you know how to route out the cavity for that, especially if it is a s-s-s strat. Like a lot of other people have already said, I would just get the guitar set-up and buy a decent amp, one that you can keep for a while and still be able to use. My guess is once you get an amp after the POD, you will probably want to get rid of the POD, just get the amp now, it will make a huge improvement. read what Cath wrote, better to get now than need later and not have.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Im actually just gonna pop a seymour duncan hotrail in there and then save up for a new amp. Because right now i think its the pussyness of the strat thats holding me back (not making fun of anyone that has a strat it just doesnt have the punch i need
Quote by Slash'sProtege
Im actually just gonna pop a seymour duncan hotrail in there and then save up for a new amp. Because right now i think its the pussyness of the strat thats holding me back (not making fun of anyone that has a strat it just doesnt have the punch i need
That's a shame, it seems like you sort of got the wrong guitar. In that case a pickup change to something like the hot rail is probably a pretty good move assuming it feels good to you, but don't forget to look at alternative single sized humbuckers whilst you're at it.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Those would be far too loud for OP's needs. In fact, maybe OP would like a POD. POD 2.0s probably go for just over 100USD and you could use it with headphones, also having the ability to record and having built in effects. Add that to the fact that they've been used on multiple famous records means they gotta be decent right?

Also, +1 on the guitar set up, could make a world of difference.

You could also look at the POD XT, POD X3 and POD HD ranges or alternatives depending on how much you plan to spend...

Dude, I had a JSX 120 Watt head with a Krank Cab in my house and was able to keep the volumes low enough for my mom to still make a phone call. The tone sucked yes, but any amp can achieve low volumes.

I don't know how people like line 6 products. The whole guitar emulation thing just never comes close to old fashion tubes. I'm just saying when it comes time for Slash's Protege to start shredding in a band. Those amps will be able to carry the volumes , without wasting any more money just so he can suppress his volume.
Current Gear

Gibson Les Paul Double Cut (Dimarzio D Sonic Bridge PUP)
PRS SE Custom
Mexi Fender Telecaster

Vox AC-30

Krank Distortus Maximus Distortion
Electro Harmonics Big Muff Pi
Boss Chorus Ensemble
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Cathbard
Imo it's a bit of a waste buying a tiny amp straight off the bat. Better with something that is capable of jamming with your mates that can be turned down. ie a 30W+ tube amp with a master volume. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Small amps are for screwing around with at home or in a studio AFTER you have a rig capable of jamming. I love my small tube amps but I would never want to have nothing else.

This. The man knows what he's talking about. 20W full tube gets me over a drummer who hits harder than necessary - mic'd you'll get anything you want. 20-30W tube will get you useable tones at bedroom level and excellent tones at gig volume!
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212