Hey Guys,

I've got a Boss NS-2, Boss TU-3, Maxon OD808 and a Boss DD-20 in my effect chain (not the right order).

These are all NOT true bypass. Are there mods available to make them true bypass...and do you think it's worth it? It's not like I don't like my sound...but if you guys think a true-bypass-mod would make it a whole lot better I'd consider it.

thx guys
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Mar 22, 2012,
i'm actually in trouble with the truebypass thng, thanks god I have a wah that has a fine working buffer otherwise about 5-6 truebypass pedals are kind of a lot of wire to degrade your tone... usually the good buffered pedals are all ok sometimes even better than true bypass
You could try and mod them... But you might as well take that money and go grab a Pedal Switcher from Voodoo Labs. http://www.voodoolab.com/switcher.htm

It's makes all pedals run in a true bypass with all its effects loops built in the switcher. Kinda acts like a floor version of a GCX. So you can run midi and have effects turn on and off with just one touch of a button
well i've heard that having an all true bypass chain isn't necessarily any better, but yeah you can send them out to analogman or keeley and they do true bypass mods around the $50 maybe. i haven't done it myself but i don't think they are that hard to do so if you look around for the parts you could probably do some research and do it yourself. out of those pedals i would really only mod the 808, the others aren't really all that dire that they would need it, but that's just me. i also don't think a true bypass mod on a tuner would be all that necessary.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I'm kinda surprised, I woulda bet the first 3 were true bypass. Isnt the TU3 a tuner? It isn't true bypass?
From what I understand.

*True bypass is when the signal of the guitar can travel strait through the pedal when it's off. and through the circuitry when it's on.

So when a pedal is off, in terms of guitar signal, it doesn't exist.

*when it's buffered It goes through the circuitry no matter what. on or off, still goes though.

So, From how i see it. 20 years ago, buffered bypass vs true bypass would seem like a no brainer. true bypass all the way.
But now with way better technology and circuit boards, Buffered can sound better if done right.

So really it's up to you.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by lucky1978
I'm kinda surprised, I woulda bet the first 3 were true bypass. Isnt the TU3 a tuner? It isn't true bypass?

ALL Boss pedals are buffered. They aren't the worst or best buffers, but sorta reasonable for the price you pay.

Having a completely true bypass pedal setup isn't ideal either, every cm of cable and every new connection (jack) your signal passes through adds capacitance. Without a buffer or line driver, you lose more and more high end. Some cables or jacks may minimise the capacitance per foot, but it builds up as you add more cable length and connection.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Those are decent pedals to have, what kinda amp? Ive used the same sorta pedal setup for years without problem.
Quote by Kriptonite_r
Peavey 6505 running through a Marshall 1960A cab

And you're having tone problems?! Just leave out the pedals
Quote by lucky1978
And you're having tone problems?! Just leave out the pedals

I'm not exactly havind tone problems. I like my sound but I always research how to get everything even better.

For example. I've always loved my Peavey 6505. Then I bought a Maxon OD808 and it improved my sound a lot. But than I researched the Bias-Mod and when i got that done it was really amazing.

So I don't always research just because i've got issues. Just wanna get the best out of my gear
Quote by Kriptonite_r
Okay, I think I understand now...
So investing in better cables and switching from a 9m cable to a 3m cable will perhaps deliver a better result than the true-bypass-mods?

Not always.

If ALL your pedals are true bypass, and you have a few pedals and long cable runs, then yes. Minimising your cable lengths will help reduce the effect on capacitance to some extent.

If you have a decent buffer at the start of your chain, then theoretically long cable runs and multiple true bypass pedals will not be any issue.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Mar 23, 2012,
little known fact, plugging boss pedals in backwards makes them TB.
mojostompboxes.com
The buffer in a TU-3 is actually pretty good.
The DD-20 is obviously not tb but the question is if you want it to be. That means that if you turn it off, the delay signal gets cut off, but when it's not tb the delay signal keeps on going until it dies of so it doesn't stop so abrupt.
If you're using the NS-2 a lot of the time (which is often the case with noise reducers) it wouldn't be worth the trouble of getting it tb.
Don't know about the 808, but I thought it was tb though.
Heres what I would do. Plug straight into your amp, no pedals, and listen to the sound. Plug into your pedalboard, and then play through your amp (with no pedals turned on).

If you think the tone is lacking or having issues, maybe look into getting stuff modded (And that is a big maybe).

In general, if you're happy with your sound, don't overthink stuff.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Mik-E1989
You could try and mod them... But you might as well take that money and go grab a Pedal Switcher from Voodoo Labs. http://www.voodoolab.com/switcher.htm

Always been interested in these...
How do the tonal benefits weigh up against the losses of 2 extra patch cables, 4 extra connections etc?
Obviously you dont have both at the same time but surely the tone gains when in bypass are offset by the losses when the effect is engaged?
Quote by zero
Always been interested in these...
How do the tonal benefits weigh up against the losses of 2 extra patch cables, 4 extra connections etc?
Obviously you dont have both at the same time but surely the tone gains when in bypass are offset by the losses when the effect is engaged?

These make good sense when you have pedals you want out of the signal path completely when off. there are some pedals which sound awesome but have the worst buffers as part of the circuit, resulting in gainormous tone suck when they're off. Switchers or true by-pass loops are good to take such suckers out of the equation completely when you don't need them.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
These make good sense when you have pedals you want out of the signal path completely when off. there are some pedals which sound awesome but have the worst buffers as part of the circuit, resulting in gainormous tone suck when they're off. Switchers or true by-pass loops are good to take such suckers out of the equation completely when you don't need them.

Interesting... I suppose if its for an effect you use occasionally it could be a good idea.
I might look at getting a single switch to just bypass the entire effects loop - any one recommend a particular brand?
They just go to a shop, talk with guys there and they'll suggest you someone to mod them. Here it costs like 10$ maximum to mod electronics for true bypass or to add coil tap on guitars.
Quote by zero
Interesting... I suppose if its for an effect you use occasionally it could be a good idea.
I might look at getting a single switch to just bypass the entire effects loop - any one recommend a particular brand?

Xotic has one that gets good reviews

Here's another one that's good http://proguitarshop.com/lehle-little-lehle-ii-true-bypass-looper-switcher.html
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )