I decided that a good way to get out of this hole I've been in with my playing is to learn scales. The first thing I read is to learn the chromatic scale. I then looked up the scale, only to find three different versions. While this tripped me up, I practiced one of the versions, and then moved on to the c scale. This is the version I found:

E----0-3----------
B----1-3---------
G----0-2---------
D----0-2---------
A----0-3---------
E----0-3---------

I thought that was great, until I found a completely different version. Anyway, can someone help me out here? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
What the ****

Edit: Oh I see, it's just a hideously retarded way to write a scale.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
What the ****

That's what I'm thinking.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
With scales, you're jumping out of one hole and digging yourself into another.

Go to the Musician's Talk section to get clarified info.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm not... Sorry if this is a terrible question, but I've only been playing for 6 months, and I need to start somewhere...
You should PM Zoot.

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Scales won't get you out of a rut.
They'll just show you why you're in there.

You can spend as much time fiddling with scales and fiddling with random notes and still take the same amount of time to come up with something that sounds good.
Quote by Xiaoxi
With scales, you're jumping out of one hole and digging yourself into another.

Go to the Musician's Talk section to get clarified info.

Listen to this guy. He's about to graduate with a degree in music.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
You should PM Zoot.

Zoot's thread about the C chord was golden. It's funny how Zoot knows all this stuff about the world yet didin't know the proper way to play a specific chord
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Zoot Allures
Says mr, pentatonics = a square moved all over the place >_>

On topic, TS, play the E chord and do a big solo around the 12th fret, and play everything else on only the dotted frets and you'll be fine.

It's not my fault that some cunt told me that the pentatonic scale is a box shape.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by TEK34
Scales measure mass or weight, are you confused if you're measuring mass or weight?

This x3.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

You can spend as much time fiddling with scales and fiddling with random notes and still take the same amount of time to come up with something that sounds good.

This is a smart man.

On that note, I have nothing to contribute.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Quote by Zoot Allures
Says mr, pentatonics = a square moved all over the place >_>

On topic, TS, play the E chord and do a big solo around the 12th fret, and play everything else on only the dotted frets and you'll be fine.

yea that will really help get him out of a rut!!!!
Quote by SkepsisMetal

he's only been playing for 6 months

joining different scales together will probly get him out of a rut or atleast help him understand music better

then again he could be a complete noob
Quote by meh217
I just need some basic advice about scales to help me out.

That's why you were directed to the Musician's Talk section instead of the Pit, which is for non-guitar related discussion.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
That's why you were directed to the Musician's Talk section instead of the Pit, which is for non-guitar related discussion.

Yeah, I reposted it over there.
Without delving into too much here, and you'll get a better explanation in the other section:

Don't worry about scales right now. It's clear that you're missing a lot of fundamental concepts. Learning scales right now would be like looking up fancy words in a dictionary without any understanding of how to use them in language.

Furthermore, scales beyond its basic construct and concept does not need to be obsessed over. If you learn the basics of music correctly, you will never need to rely on scales or think in terms of scales.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Without delving into too much here, and you'll get a better explanation in the other section:

Don't worry about scales right now. It's clear that you're missing a lot of fundamental concepts. Learning scales right now would be like looking up fancy words in a dictionary without any understanding of how to use them in language.

Furthermore, scales beyond its basic construct and concept does not need to be obsessed over. If you learn the basics of music correctly, you will never need to rely on scales or think in terms of scales.

I mean, I'm not trying to learn all of them. I just want to get a basic understanding for things like improvisation. By the way, what concepts are you talking about?
Quote by meh217
I mean, I'm not trying to learn all of them. I just want to get a basic understanding for things like improvisation. By the way, what concepts are you talking about?

Understanding the fundamental notes, how they relate to each other, etc. But if you've only been playing for 6 months, then you really shouldn't be trying to improvise yet, since you won't have the necessary tools.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Understanding the fundamental notes, how they relate to each other, etc. But if you've only been playing for 6 months, then you really shouldn't be trying to improvise yet, since you won't have the necessary tools.

Do you know any good links for that? I looked, but I couldn't find anything.