Page 1 of 4
sorry for my lack of knowledge, but i've only ever been in the states and canada.

whats to know about the u.k.? how is it different from life in the states? how is it the same?
where should i never go and where would be the best places to live?

alittle about me: i'm unashamedly a "mall rat" (even though its a silly term). it seems like when friends and i get together its at the mall or the movies usually.
i love scenery. huge metropolitans and bustling historic towns draw me in. i can't stand suburban (or the quiet) life.

and what are some british/scottish foods i as a american should never try? like lambs liver and shit.
Man you can get that here. Boston, NYC, LA, San Fran, etc. The UK is just an inferior version of all of these.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
They have an amazing invention called the shift key, that capitalizes letters!

/me being a douche.

All I've really heard is that there's some good architecture and pollution around. Never been, so you should probably take advice from someone else.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Ashe_Mc
sorry for my lack of knowledge, but i've only ever been in the states and canada.

whats to know about the u.k.? how is it different from life in the states? how is it the same?
where should i never go and where would be the best places to live?

alittle about me: i'm unashamedly a "mall rat" (even though its a silly term). it seems like when friends and i get together its at the mall or the movies usually.
i love scenery. huge metropolitans and bustling historic towns draw me in. i can't stand suburban (or the quiet) life.

and what are some british/scottish foods i as a american should never try? like lambs liver and shit.

One thing you should prepare for is using real English, not butchered English (American English). It's quite different to what you lot use, capital letters are often used. Also (though I've never been), I understand it is mostly populated by people from Pakistan, but don't worry they wont bomb you.
Unless you have a personal connection or reason more than "hurr UK looks cool", as well as serious job prospects/education arrangements then you'll be wasting your time and money moving here. UK life is generally noticeably more expensive than the US and the job market is poor (not to mention all the ballache of having to go through immigration/right to work processes), so unless you're sure of a stable full time job here (unlikely given the information you gave in your first post), stay at home, or just come take a holiday and do the tourist thing and get back home with a few months' travel experience behind you.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Mar 23, 2012,
They say "bruv" instead of bro.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Unless you have a personal connection or reason more than "hurr UK looks cool", as well as serious job prospects/education arrangements then you'll be wasting your time and money moving here. UK life is generally noticeably more expensive than the US and the job market is poor (not to mention all the ballache of having to go through immigration/right to work processes), so unless you're sure of a stable full time job here (unlikely given the information you gave in your first post), stay at home, or just come take a holiday and do the tourist thing and get back home with a few months' travel experience behind you. Sorry to burst your bubble.

This x 100. The reality of life here right now, you'll be begging to back after week. You will struggle to find work and a place to stay.

Just come for a month holiday and see the sights. Do a week in 4 regions. Do glasgow & the lakes, the liverpool & manchester, the south west coast and then a week in london, something like that.
Meh...
Quote by Caustic
Unless you have a personal connection or reason more than "hurr UK looks cool", as well as serious job prospects/education arrangements then you'll be wasting your time and money moving here. UK life is generally noticeably more expensive than the US and the job market is poor (not to mention all the ballache of having to go through immigration/right to work processes), so unless you're sure of a stable full time job here (unlikely given the information you gave in your first post), stay at home, or just come take a holiday and do the tourist thing and get back home with a few months' travel experience behind you.

i'm a working musician when i'm not in college. it makes ok.

i'm a kept woman mostly. gots a girlfriend with a nice job so i work because i want to. and since most of her work is online, its not a requirement to live anywhere really. plus neither of us really like florida and NO WAY IN HELL will i move to Baltimore to be with her family (cue the eww face)

to the guy above, are you actually serious? u.k. people hate americans that much?
damn.

i'm tired and bored since i fell asleep this afternoon, so i'm just running random ideas through my head. i briefly (albeit very briefly) considered nyc.
Last edited by Ashe_Mc at Mar 23, 2012,
Being British I'd say that British people aren't very welcoming. These days there are a lot of stupid people as well, YouTube "The Jeremy Kyle Show" that's what a huge percentage of the population is like. Plus everyone here seems to think that everyone in the USA drinks out of red cups at house parties (not me I like Americans).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8OSJNDvUCA

Apparently some Pubs are really like that, I watched a show called Britain's hardest boozers and some of the Pubs didn't take too kindly to new people.

EDIT:

found a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCkboxDB3nY (WARNING)
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Mar 23, 2012,
^Well that's your problem. Florida and Baltimore are shitty places.

Consider the ones that I listed. Boston's a great city for musicians.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i'm considering san fran for the gay community, and never heard much about boston before. whats it like there?

lots of rundown places?
I heard an interesting discussion about politics in Europe today, and apparently they're facing imminent immigrant problems. A lot of mainland European countries and especially Scandinavian counties apparently have a large percent of population from the Middle East. France just recently had a terrorist plotting to attack killed, and that could cause problems.

Personally, I wouldn't move to Europe right now. Racism is worse than I thought it was over there. Which is ironic because that's often said about the United States.. maybe they could learn something? But that's for a different discussion

More OT: California is "the" mall-rat state I'd imagine. San Francisco or Los Angeles might be a good choice if you're into that. I've also never heard much about Boston, other than it rains often.

edit more OT: If you're into music and liberals, Chicago is a good city. It's huge, though, and has some rough parts like most big cities. I plan on moving there with a good friend of mine once I'm out of college.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by Ashe_Mc
i'm considering san fran for the gay community, and never heard much about boston before. whats it like there?

lots of rundown places?

Believe you me, I HATE rundown places.

Despite being one of the oldest cities in the US, it's not run down. Yes, a lot of it is OLD, but it has character. It's not like old/shitty/depressing like Baltimore or parts of Brooklyn.

It has a lot of history, which is one of the things you listed (it's like England without the baggage), gay-friendly, center of Boston is pretty liberal, has multiple top tier schools crammed into the area, lots of musicians in the area due to the many art schools, lots of things to do, very metropolitan, you can walk/bike anywhere, much cheaper than living in NYC that's for sure.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 23, 2012,
to the guy above, are you actually serious? u.k. people hate americans that much? damn.

Not at all, we don't hate you. You will be treated just as everyone else.

The problem is I think your expecting it to be all cultured and beautiful like a hugh grant film Like me expecting living in america to be just like living in Friends
Meh...
Quote by 14houghton91

The problem is I think your expecting it to be all cultured and beautiful like a hugh grant film Like me expecting living in america to be just like living in Friends

oh no i don't expect that. however when me, a person who was raised in the south goes north and speaks in a semi (note semi, i don't have a drawl but my annunciations are "cultured south") southern accent, i sometimes am ridiculed to my face because of how i speak differently, so thats a no go for things like that. i don't tolerate discrimination based on anything really. joking around is all fun and games, but being honestly ignorant is just asinine.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Believe you me, I HATE rundown places.

Despite being one of the oldest cities in the US, it's not run down. Yes, a lot of it is OLD, but it has character. It's not like old/shitty/depressing like Baltimore or parts of Brooklyn.

It has a lot of history, which is one of the things you listed (it's like England without the baggage), gay-friendly, center of Boston is pretty liberal, has multiple top tier schools crammed into the area, lots of musicians in the area due to the many art schools, lots of things to do, very metropolitan, much cheaper than living in NYC that's for sure.

sounds interesting. we'll have to take a weekend trip up there to see the area. pretty liberal in what way? i don't like it when people are extremists in either liberal or conservative aspects really. i'm all for your own views and expressing them, but i don't want to be accosted to vote or pledge for some cause.
Quote by Caustic

This is a really good post.

I really doubt you'd get a visa. I knew some Canadians who moved to my city and, despite both finding professional jobs, paying their taxes etc, they got deported after only a few months.

Also, it's true that people here really hate Americans. My American cousin was over here for a while and when people in pubs and clubs heard her speak they used to shout abuse in her face about the oil wars and all the innocent locals killed in Afghanistan and Iraq... as a "liberal" she was mortified, but these people just want to shout at Americans, not engage in a discussion or listen to your views. So you should prepare for that.

Also, having never been to the UK (the word to describe people from here is Brits, not u.k people) it sounds like you are just derpily picking places from a map. What specifically about the UK draws you here? Are you fully understanding the fact that you would not be able to find any work at all here, even session musician work? There are very very few jobs at all.

Quote by Ashe_Mc
oh no i don't expect that. however when me, a person who was raised in the south goes north and speaks in a semi (note semi, i don't have a drawl but my annunciations are "cultured south") southern accent, i sometimes am ridiculed to my face because of how i speak differently, so thats a no go for things like that. i don't tolerate discrimination based on anything really. joking around is all fun and games, but being honestly ignorant is just asinine.

Yeah ok, imagine that but much much more aggressive, and targeted at everything about your identity not just the way you speak. That's what you'll get from people over here.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by 14houghton91

Pretty much this. I used to want to move to England. While it still looks appealing to me, I've decided on Sweden. I've put thought into this for years and I'm not expecting a stereotypical utopia of hot blonds, Vikings, etc (those are the only Swedish stereotypes I know of besides social awkwardness and Ikea )

As far as racism goes, I can't imagine it's worse than the U.S., but about the same. I wouldn't really worry, at least if you're from the U.S. Don't take my word for it though; Europeans obviously know more about this than I do.

Edit: And then there's the job issue. It's not really great in the U.S, but as an immigrant, I'm sure it would be harder in Britain. Also, if I were to get a job as an immigrant, I'd feel like a prick. I don't know how you'd feel, but it can't feel great. Actually, I'm not entirely aware of the situation of Sweden. I don't think it's as bad as Britain, but I better go do some reading. I'm not as educated as I though, so I should probably stop talking to you like this.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by Ashe_Mc

I give her face a ten, and her ass a nine. Jeff Foxworthy, anyone? Didn't think so.

You'd probably want to stay away from Chicago then. Their accent drives me nuts sometimes, and I'm from Indiana. If you have a more southern accent, you'd stick out like a sore thumb I'd imagine.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Ashe_Mc

sounds interesting. we'll have to take a weekend trip up there to see the area. pretty liberal in what way? i don't like it when people are extremists in either liberal or conservative aspects really. i'm all for your own views and expressing them, but i don't want to be accosted to vote or pledge for some cause.

They will make fun of your accent in Europe too. Maybe even more.

Anyway, if I were you I'd just find a nice place in the USA, Europe is (IMO) overpopulated, overpriced and discriminating.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
i like overpriced.
but nay to the immigrant country.
Quote by Ashe_Mc

Well, the center of Boston and Cambridge is populated by college educated young people. It's casual liberal in that they support gay marriage, loves Apple, and shops at Whole Foods. But I think it's a pretty mild mix. It's nowhere near the nightmare I've seen on Portlandia or anything like that. I haven't felt like anyone is extreme about anything.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by eGraham
I give her face a ten, and her ass a nine. Jeff Foxworthy, anyone? Didn't think so.

You'd probably want to stay away from Chicago then. Their accent drives me nuts sometimes, and I'm from Indiana. If you have a more southern accent, you'd stick out like a sore thumb I'd imagine.

What makes you think I didn't recognize a Jeff Foxworthy quote? Did you even see my location?

I don't know how it would be if I went to the U.K. I am from the South, but I can easily control my southern drawl, mine is much less noticeable than others' from around here. I like to think I can fake a decent British accent as well. It could all be in my head and I could get laughed at even more for a botched attempt, who knows?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
1. Move to Norway
2. Get a full-time job at a grocery store
3. Earn 4000-5000 dollars a month
4. Walk around and feel smug about the fact tht you're living in the worlds richest country

At least, that's what I do
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
What currency are you talking about when you say 4000-5000 a month? If it's the Norway-specific currency, then that's only like 700 USD a month, which is not good. 8400 a year is way below the poverty line.

If you're talking Euros, then that's pretty good.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
What currency are you talking about when you say 4000-5000 a month? If it's the Norway-specific currency, then that's only like 700 USD a month, which is not good. 8400 a year is way below the poverty line.

Norway isn't in Europe.

Quote by Ashe_Mc
i like overpriced.

i don't like middle-easterners though, so nay immigrant country.

Fantastic. We don't like racists, so I think if you never come to the UK that would be mutually beneficial.

I suggest the Bible Belt. They hate dem Ay-rabs too, you'd fit right in.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Norway isn't in Europe.

Orly? Where is it, then?

edit: I think it's in Europe, but not part of the EU.

double edit: checked again, it sure isn't. Finland and Sweden are, though? That seems odd.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
In the same place it always was. It just never joined the EU, because their economy is good enough on its own. Only countries in the European Union can choose to use the European Union's currency.

It's like suggesting Japan might use the Euro.

Interesting. So they still use the Krone? That isn't worth much compared to USD or Euros.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by eGraham
Orly? Where is it, then?

In the same place it always was. It just never joined the EU, because their economy is good enough on its own. Only countries in the European Union can choose to use the European Union's currency.

Nobody speaks like the queen. The American media has a knack of portraying all English (or "Briddish") people as ultra-posh with an upper class accent. That's definitely not the case.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, the center of Boston and Cambridge is populated by college educated young people. It's casual liberal in that they support gay marriage, loves Apple, and shops at Whole Foods. But I think it's a pretty mild mix. It's nowhere near the nightmare I've seen on Portlandia or anything like that. I haven't felt like anyone is extreme about anything.

that sounds promising.

and that portlandia crap is horrible.

and feminist bookstore? what kind of bullshit is that?
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Nobody speaks like the queen. The American media has a knack of portraying all English (or "Briddish") people as ultra-posh with an upper class accent. That's definitely not the case.

People always say that, but I'm afraid I'll be tied to that stereotype until I visit

I gotta admit, though, I do kind of like the posh accent as long as it's not too extreme. Like David Gilmour.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Fantastic. We don't like racists, so I think if you never come to the UK that would be mutually beneficial.

I suggest the Bible Belt. They hate dem Ay-rabs too, you'd fit right in.

well thank you for assuming you know everything about me i guess its so great to know that you can tell everything about me based on the internet.

please don't post in any of my threads again. i don't need someone trolling me trying to provoke anger. its just not me.

and posh accents are great. kinda like canadians and saying "out" they are so cute when they say that (sue me)
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Not really though is it because Norway is in Europe and therefore could have switched to the euro, whereas Japan is in Asia.

And on another note will you american lot stop saying 'british accent' what the hell is that ? do you think Billy Connoly, Wayne Rooney and Daniel Radcliffe all sound the same ?
Meh...
Quote by Ashe_Mc
well thank you for assuming you know everything about me i guess its so great to know that you can tell everything about me based on the internet.

"I don't like middle easterners" is a pretty straightforward statement.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by eGraham

Sorry, I meant US dollars. That being said, you can pretty much multiply all americn prices by 2 to get what they would cost in Norway

Also:

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Norway isn't in Europe.

Yes we are. We've been a part of Europe since... The bronze age. Or if you want to be more specific: The country wasn't united until 872, but then we were in a union with Danmark from 1379 until 1815, and then one with Sweden from 1815 until 1905.

YAY, GO US!

But, TS: Before you decide to move to another country: Visit it at least a few times first, to get a personal feeling of what it's like.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
i don't think anyone has said "british" accent. i think most people said "posh" or "queen".
Quote by Ashe_Mc
and posh accents are great. kinda like canadians and saying "out" they are so cute when they say that (sue me)

I don't think you read my post. Unless you move to and work in a very expensive part of London, you will not hear people with accents like that on a regular basis.
i don't tolerate discrimination based on anything really.

"I don't like middle easterners"

Forgive me if i've misread your posts but........... seriously ???!!! Isn't that hypocritical and racist ? That will not be tolerated in the UK as there are lots of eastern people living here and we don't condone racism either.
Meh...
Page 1 of 4