Page 1 of 3
I was talking to resident Chinese wannabe, StewieSwan, and it seemed like he has some kinda irrational aversion to Japan.

Now when I think Japan, I'm thinking:
-sushi
-robots
-being quiet and polite
-obsessed with "honor"
-zen crap
-a little screwy in the head
-anime
-ultra futuristic
-efficient/clean
-murdering millions of Chinese...

But he pointed out some shit that I didn't think was such a phenomena:
-high suicide rates
-social isolationism
-alarmingly low rates for birth and marriage
-increasingly relying on anime and virtual things for sex

So what factors do you think are causing these things?

edit: TRY to be serious. I'm genuinely wondering what are causing the Japanese youth to be this way.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 23, 2012,
lol.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
No.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Since WWII most Chinese people have disliked Japan. They invaded China, raped women, and destroyed everything in sight.

Also -high suicide rates
-social isolationism

All of those apply to China as well. At most of the factories they now put up suicide-nets because of how awful conditions are.
Gingers Unite

I think they're just ahead of the times. Pretty soon, we'll all be driving obnoxious cars, dressing and looking the same, and spiking our hair obscenely sharp.
Quote by blake1221

I think they're just ahead of the times. Pretty soon, we'll all be driving obnoxious cars, dressing and looking the same, and spiking our hair obscenely sharp.

If I see even the slightest sign that American culture is destined to mimic Japanese culture I'm moving to Antarctica.

EDIT:
Quote by Nitrate
All of those apply to China as well. At most of the factories they now put up suicide-nets because of how awful conditions are.

Is this for real? Because that's somewhat alarming.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
If I see even the slightest sign that American culture is destined to mimic Japanese culture I'm moving to Antarctica.

EDIT:
Is this for real? Because that's somewhat alarming.

Yeah, it is for real. I don't think Japanese suicide rates are linked to poor factory working conditions though. It probably has more to do with the realization that they're living in Japan.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by GodofCheesecake

If you haven't noticed, the car thing is already happening over here in North America.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Nitrate

Also -high suicide rates
-social isolationism

I'm talking about the youth demographic. Japan apparently has an unusually high rate of suicides from people around high school age. That's not the case for China.

Factory conditions are awful but keep in mind the infamous Apple report was greatly fabricated and has been publicly rescinded. And China has low birth rates for a good reason. And I've never heard of anime/virtual sex being a serious problem in China.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah, it is for real. I don't think Japanese suicide rates are linked to poor factory working conditions though. It probably has more to do with the realization that they're living in Japan.

I can't say I blame them then.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
If you haven't noticed, the car thing is already happening over here in North America.

I was marking that one off as a reaction to gas prices.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by blake1221

But does that mean it's a sign that we're going to experience the same kinda shit? Because that's scary.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
-high suicide rates
-social isolationism

It's 'cause all the women are busy licking doorknobs.

Last edited by Jon777 at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I was talking to resident Chinese wannabe, StewieSwan, and it seemed like he has some kinda irrational aversion to Japan.

Now when I think Japan, I'm thinking:
-sushi
-robots
-being quiet and polite
-obsessed with "honor"
-zen crap
-a little screwy in the head
-anime
-ultra futuristic
-efficient/clean
-murdering millions of Chinese...

-high suicide rates
-social isolationism

fun fact, the suicide rates are mostly due to high stress office type jobs, and those still in highschool/college.

people there are pressured beyond belief to be successful in the corporate world and seem to have no exterior outlet for stress relief.

however, the people as a whole are very respectful and helpful. and the low rates of birth isn't really that bad. and the marriage rates are practically the same with our generation.
Quote by Jon777
It's cause all the women are busy licking doorknobs.

Seriously, Japan, what the fuck?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Ashe_Mc
fun fact, the suicide rates are mostly due to high stress office type jobs, and those still in highschool/college.

people there are pressured beyond belief to be successful in the corporate world and seem to have no exterior outlet for stress relief.

I guess that could explain the suicide thing for adults, but all of those things that I was talking about are about teens/young adults.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I guess that could explain the suicide thing for adults, but all of those things that I was talking about are about teens/young adults.

I admire Japan and I think I'd be happy living there.

But based on what I know there is a lot more expected from the Japanese youth then there is from the youth of most other developed nations. Those pressures begin before secondary education.
Quote by Xiaoxi
But does that mean it's a sign that we're going to experience the same kinda shit? Because that's scary.

I think America is in store for a whole different type of shit storm, personally.
Quote by Xiaoxi
-high suicide rates
-social isolationism
I think all of those things are related and all spring from social isolationism, which is caused from high pressure put on the youth by their parents.

Because, let's face it, Asian parents are demanding.

So instead of delivering results and living up to expectations, they shut themselves out from the world.

'Murica.
Japanese youth have a lot more retarded subcultures to get involved in than most other places. I'm pretty sure compulsive education there is far more stressful as well. I couldn't imagine going to cram schools and worrying about entrance exams to every school ever.

Quote by jetfuel495
I think all of those things are related and all spring from social isolationism, which is caused from high pressure put on the youth by their parents.

Because, let's face it, Asian parents are demanding.

So instead of delivering results and living up to expectations, they shut themselves out from the world.

'Murica.

This attitude then transfers over to America and half-Asians stop saying they're Asian for university applications. Kind of interesting.
Last edited by Avedas at Mar 23, 2012,
Personally, I don't have an aversion to Japanese culture so much as an aversion to the awful people who fetishize Japanese culture.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I think they're mad because they're always the bad guys in Jet Li movies.
Quote by Avedas
This attitude then transfers over to America and half-Asians stop saying they're Asian for university applications. Kind of interesting.
That's odd. Are the nation's top schools refusing to accept Asian students that don't outperform white students by a certain margin? Kinda messed up.
It has been said that Japan is one year ahead of rest of the world, and I personally feel that it's true.

One of the main reason for the high suicide numbers are the fact that the stress level in Japan is extremely high, both when it comes to school and jobs. The stress level might have something to do with the fact that there are actually an increasing number of hikikomori (look it up if you don't know what it is). Some people just can't handle the amount of stress and pressure.

That being said, I have never met any other who are as polite and humble as the Japanese. I feel that SOME cultures could do well in learning a little respect and politeness.

*Points towards America*

That being said, I'm from Norway, the country where we're apparently filthy rich and stuck up, so, who am I to say something like that?
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by jetfuel495
That's odd. Are the nation's top schools refusing to accept Asian students that don't outperform white students by a certain margin? Kinda messed up.

It's probably something to do with the very American idea of affirmative action.
Quote by Fishybones
texttexttexttext
That being said, I'm from Norway, the country where we're apparently filthy rich and stuck up, so, who am I to say something like that?

Norway is actually the specific country which I heard being discussed today about European politics. Apparently there is a large number of Middle Eastern immigrants who work service jobs there.

As bad as it is to say, Middle Easterners in Norway are like Mexican immigrants in the United States. Get treated just as poorly and are looked down upon.

I don't think America has anything to learn from Norway, or any European country for that matter. Japan, perhaps.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Xiaoxi

thats because of quite a few things.

social isolationism can be used to explain it, however the issue is much deeper.

both parents typically work 9-5 jobs with a 1 hour commute (so basically they are gone 8-6). and most students spend their entire day at school so they don't have the ability to form substantial bonds with parental figures. this means children typically have realtions with teachers and students. that in turns create conflicting morals which brings about "loner" tendencies where they interact with others but never get closed with their peers.

and they also feel the rigorous pressure to get high profile office jobs like women in america are pressured to be a size 00 by their peers and the media. same way how men here are pressured to be sports athletes or a "manly man" and to love football.

another interesting thing is what happens on fridays in japan. due to the high stress environments all generations live in, crazy shit happens on fridays.

another interesting thing is, (but not proven to be) a lack of development in the arts. their society is so founded in science that in many ways they are behind us and europe in regards to the arts. it isn't embraced as much as we embrace our music, literature, movies, concerts. in fact most of the people who attend concerts are VERY high up financially, whereas in america pretty much every social class can be seen in the theatres and at "classical" concerts.

its only the newer generation that is embracing the modern arts and its expressions, however they treat it like the amish treat rumspringa (in essence that most people see it as a "teen rebellion" thing and that its only for teens)
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I was marking that one off as a reaction to gas prices.

Nothing to do with gas prices mate.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by jetfuel495

OK, I can understand the isolationism from high stress school. But it doesn't account for everything. China and South Korea are just as high pressured, if not more so, in schooling, but they're not suffering from those kinds of problems (the ones beside isolation). So that alone can't be it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
OK, I can understand the isolationism from high stress school. But it doesn't account for everything. China and South Korea are just as high pressured, if not more so, in schooling, but they're not suffering from those kinds of problems (the ones beside isolation). So that alone can't be it.
Good point.

They all have PTSD. Too many Godzilla attacks. It's embedded in their DNA by now.
Quote by jetfuel495
A friend of mine visited Japan a few years ago, he said they were very quiet around outsiders.

There is a certain level of xenophobia, but language barrier plays a big role I'm sure. It's not that they don't speak English but rather they don't speak it very well. Trying to speak a language you should know but are very terrible at is a nerve wracking experience. I've found Koreans to be particularly bad for this as there are quite a few of them here and they mostly stick to themselves. There are also a lot of mainland Chinese and Taiwanese who act the same way in contrast to those from Hong Kong who are usually very good at English. The few Japanese who come here seem to make a large effort with speaking from what I've seen. I met a girl who was just on vacation here from Japan last summer and I spoke with her mostly in Japanese but she really tried using English. On the other hand, I know a lot of Koreans who have been in Canada for 5+ years and are still very bad at it.
Quote by eGraham
DURRRRRRRRR....
I don't think America has anything to learn from Norway, or any European country for that matter. Japan, perhaps.

I didn't mean that you have anything to learn from us Norwegians. I mean, have you seen how we act when we're on vacation? It's pretty horrible.

Also, immigrants are not threated poorly here. Sure, our immigration politics are a little backwards some times, but then again, I think we should have free immigration.

Seriously, 1% of Norway's areal is developed.... 1%!
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by jetfuel495
Good point.

They all have PTSD. Too many Godzilla attacks. It's embedded in their DNA by now.

And not enough Gundams.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
And not enough Gundams.

Goddamn Gundams.

I need to see a Gundam vs. Godzilla video.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Xiaoxi
And not enough Gundams.
I have to make sure to never suffer these phenomena.

Should definitely order a new kit soon.

SPEAKING OF WHICH

My Deathscythe was knocked over today while my shelves were being dusted. I was irritated. The hand holding the scythe snapped off.

I put it back on, but seriously, do people think these are toys? For $70? I don't think so.
would you be mad if i said yes. deathscythe sounds menacing and destruction enducing.

if it breaks that easily i'd say it was a cheaply made toy with inflated prices for the anime lover.
Page 1 of 3