I bought a Duncan Performer Scorcher pickup for my squier bullet stratocaster and installed it. When I plugged it in to play the sound was very thin and brittle. When I turned up the gain, it sounded waker than the stock single coils. Could my soldering be the problem? Are the electronics (pots, wires, etc.) crap? Would the solder from my kit that I bought at walmart be the problem? (The solder in the kit said it was usable on electronics) I am hoping to use this guitar as a backup or drop d guitar. I appreciate any help.
Umm, I'm no expert when it comes to electronics, but I know that the fault could be a whole number of problems. Can you give pics? Might help spotting the problem.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Probably you wired the new pick-up wrong, download a few diagrams a check'em.
Sounds like you made a wiring mistake.
I found nothing about it on the Duncan site.
Is it a four conductor? If so, did you solder the coils together and tape it off?

A drop d guitar? Lol Seriously? That's just one string tuned a step lower.
You don't need a whole other guitar for that
Quote by Dunkelheit-164

A drop d guitar? Lol Seriously? That's just one string tuned a step lower.
You don't need a whole other guitar for that

One doesn't absolutely need a guitar dedicated for drop D, sure... but it does help, especially if you're picky about the set-up. I find that, for me, every tuning has an optimal string gauge... if I drop the low E to D on a guitar I've set-up for a 10-46 gauge, it'll work, but I much prefer if I have a dedicated guitar for drop D, with a thicker gauge E-string. There's also the matter of intonation / overall stability of the guitar. Constantly going back and forth between tunings - even if it's just dropping the lowest string - makes me feel like the guitar is never really optimized for anything. Tuning stability and intonation are also better the less you meddle around with tunings. And then there's always the matter of floyd rose tremolos... whenever I manage to get a locking trem set up just right, the last thing on my mind is changing the tuning, or changing anything at all, lol.

So, yeah, it's manageable with one guitar, but If you've got money to blow, then getting a drop-dedicated guitar isn't silly in the least.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Not dissing you or anything.
It just seemed a bit silly to me,
but hey if it's not silly for you,
I'm not to judge eh

So any more info on the pup?