When people say that A Floyd Rose will wear down over time, do they mean the springs get stretched out, or what exactly happens? I don't really want to wear it out that much.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

the springs shouldn't be much of an issue and they're cheap as dirt to replace if something goes wrong. i suspect they're talking about the pivot points where the trem is in contact with the wood of the body.
i don't know how you'd replace it but i had a floyd equipped guitar for about 5 years(until it was stolen) and i never had any issues with it wearing out *it was my main guitar as well*
The knife edges wear down over time on cheap FR's. The things that wear it down the most are using it (obviously), and adjusting the action (the posts the bridge is held against) while there is tension on the bridge (when you're not detuned/don't have strings on).

There are little tricks that can help, putting chap stick on the knife edges/posts does a lot. But in the end, a cheap bridge is a cheap bridge, and they all wear down at some point.

What bridge do you have?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
An OFR on a ESP Eclipse. Knife edges?
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

You're good to go then. An OFR is pretty much the best Floyd rose out there. The Ibanez Edge is arguably better, but same deal pretty much.

Knife edges are the parts on both sides of the bridge that are actually in contact with the posts drilled into the guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Good, cool!
Quote by luxeion