Looking to buy a guitar for low tunings. It would be tuned to C standard and sometimes to Drop Bb.

Budget: $600
Favorite Artists: In Flames, At The Gates, Amon Amarth etc
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Blackouts
New or Used: New

I am currently saving up for a Peavey 5150 or a 6505.

Thanks,
Pretty much anything will do. C Standard isn't terribly low. You just have to use appropriate strings.

So now to help give you some suggestions...

Do you have any brand preferences?
Neck profile?
Body shape?

What site will you be ordering from? So we can see what is available to you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Pretty much anything will do. C Standard isn't terribly low. You just have to use appropriate strings.

So now to help give you some suggestions...

Do you have any brand preferences?
Neck profile?
Body shape?

What site will you be ordering from? So we can see what is available to you.

Brand preferences: Jackson, Schecter, ESP. As long as it's good.
Neck Profile: Not sure.
Body Shape: Super Strat shape or a Les Paul style shape.
and I like those Satin Black finishes.
I'll be ordering it online from Sweetwater, Amazon or Ebay.

and a fixed bridge please.
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Mar 23, 2012,
Ltd has some real sick looking EC's that are 7 strings, satin finish and all. Not sure if you're into that, but they're pretty nice looking.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-407.html

EDIT: You'd also be able to play drop B much easier.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Mar 23, 2012,
You'd probably have to aftermarket the Duncans though, even if they do come with some.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I don't know if Schecter is still selling their C-1 Black Market Custom, but that would be something for you to check out. If you are playing in C standard and drop Db almost exclusively you may want to avoid the EC series for their 24.75" scale. Most people feel more comfortable with longer scales for additional tension in those lower tunings, although frankly the choice is up to you.

If the Black Market Custom is no longer available, you could try getting a Blackjack ATX second-hand, or extend your budget by about $100 and buy one new

Edit: To clarify, all of those guitars should have a 25.5" scale length and Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups.
On another note, the Limited Edition Riot ATX looks wicked xD
Last edited by samjbow at Mar 23, 2012,
scale length isn't really an issue if you get strings which you feel happy with tension-wise and that they are comfy to play.

If your going that low, i recommend getting strings with a wound g, gives better intonation and tension and sounds clearer (unwound gs seem to get a bit flat and muddy when you get into packs of 12's and 13's and your tuning lower).

I use a PRS CE 24 in c standard, and its fine. Trem balance is very equal, and i use 12-54's.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
If you are willing to go $800 I have an ESP Gus-600EC that I use and it has blackouts. It is currently at drop Ab and it sounds insane! It can still go a lot lower too! Not only does the tuning go very low but once it is in the tuning it is very hard for it to get out with its locking tuners and its not even floyd rose. I love it! It's a no-brainer in my opinion.
You could take a diffent approach: buy a baritone.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEMMBB/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleBTBariCC/

Common tunings for Baris include:

Wiki:
A standard guitar's standard tuning (from lowest string to highest) is E A D G B E. Baritone guitars are usually tuned a perfect fifth lower (A D G C E A), a perfect fourth lower (B E A D F♯ B), or a major third lower (C F B♭ E♭ G C).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 28, 2012,
Rondo music...get an agile Interceptor....some come with EMG's and a 27 inch scale length..good call on those...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
listen man, any guitar can do low tunings....

my cousin just bought a prs mccarty 25th anniversary and had it set up for drop B.....

take ur pick
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED