I was wondering about the bass comunity's opinion on the Boss me-20b.
Multieffects pedals are okay for somebody new to effects to dip their feet in a bit, and develop an understanding as to what each effect sounds like, but that's about as far as it goes. None of the effects will be up to a particularly fantastic standard and will nearly always be drastically outperformed by individual dedicated units. If you're new to effects, and want to see what you like/dislike and what works for you, go for it, if you're looking for something to use long term it's probably not going to cut it.
If you're going to buy a new multi-effects and drop around $200 on it, check out the new zoom B3. I've been using the G3 with bass and like it a lot.

Effects modeling is getting better and better in terms of both realism and "tweakability." If you're looking for generic sounds, go for it--you can get some great sounds. The two reasons someone might want to avoid modeling IMO are 1) you have a very specific effects sound in your head and want the exact model of pedal that makes it and 2) you want a really pick-sensitive and natural sounding dirt or filter effect. I'm never quite happy with modeled dirt pedals and, while I love a lot of filter sounds on modelers, they never play as nicely with pick attack and my own finger-control as the analog units do.

I haven't tried the boss, but looking at its product description I'd avoid it just because the user interface looks so clunky. Navigating through digital menus and pressing 20 buttons to adjust an effect sucks. That's why I really like the zoom--adjusting a single effect on that thing is just like adjusting one on a pedal--quick and super easy.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 23, 2012,
I'd say go for the Boss ME50B, I bought it a while ago and I'm happy with it.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
I was considering the ME20B for a while, compared the ME20B, ME50B, and a Zoom pedal of some description, but ended up landing on a Digitech BP355. I found the Digitech had a much nicer sound for the different effects than the others. Also, I like the idea of having multiple different types of each effect (although I must admit the 18 different Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive effects is a little excessive).
Nearly every pawn shop in America has a Zoom effect box for like $20-$60. CHeap, ok sounding boxes. I used a guitar one and it seemed fine.
I play several genres and I don't use effects. Just add fingers, makes it's own sauce.

Edit:
The only effect I need is a loud kick drum. I can make my sound anyway i want. Want dark and grungy? turn the tone knob down and play over the neck p/u. Want bright and funky? Turn up the tone knob and play back toward the bridge. And any other sound I need is somewhere in between. just sayin'
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
I play several genres and I don't use effects. Just add fingers, makes it's own sauce.

Edit:
The only effect I need is a loud kick drum. I can make my sound anyway i want. Want dark and grungy? turn the tone knob down and play over the neck p/u. Want bright and funky? Turn up the tone knob and play back toward the bridge. And any other sound I need is somewhere in between. just sayin'

That's all well and good if you want the basic sounds of the instrument. I'm a great advocate of concentrating on your hands and fingers first for good tone and worrying about equipment afterwards, but good luck achieving a suitable tone for, say, Hysteria just using your fingers.