Page 1 of 2
sorry for the redundancy of "which pickups i should get" cause i see it here alot. but really, i dont know jack about "good" pickups, ive only tried emgs and stock gibson pickups.
so, im about to get this jackson soloist slsmg from guitar center soon, which is mohagany, neck through, through body, ebony fretboard, and has emghz pickups. tested it and everything, and its nice, but i plan to swap out the emgs for something different.been doin my own research but it leaves me questionable if i dont get to hear it personally. thinking about seymour duncan invaders and something else, but really i have no idea. i like to play thrash metal, any high gain distortion sounds, and occasional cleans sounds. but dont have much experience with alot of pups, dimarzio, seymours, whatever
so you guys have any suggestions? plan to stick to passive too
much appreciated
what amp are you using?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
randall rx 120dhs with a distortion pedal.
but am goin to get a orange dark terror soon, ill be using that when i have it
Personally, I'd go with a set of bareknuckle warpigs.

EDIT: You should probably check out the DiMarzio Pickup Picker on their site too.
Last edited by cjstylez97 at Mar 23, 2012,
this is what i mean man, ive never heard of bareknuckles before
your gonna make me check out these warpigs on youtube now lol

anyone else got any opinions tho?
all i know is; duncans are classic, all the virtuosos use dimarzio, and every metal band use active emgs. so many options but idk where to start
those warpigs sound pretty badass, but too expensive. i was thinkin more around 100 for pickups
is that a used one? the newer ones have active EMGs
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

ya its a used one, good condition tho.
not sure how old, but im assuming 2005ish? i think.
but ya, it has emgHZ
i think the ones with the "real" name brand pickups were 2006 and onwards. so it's at least as old as 2005, presumably.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

From what I've been looking for, I've got a few options that I'm torn between.

Bridge- Duncan distortion/invader, dimarzio d activator/x2n
Neck- Duncan pearly gates,...?
Any suggestions or objections would be appreciated.
Listen to Dave, buy used.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
DiMarzio D-Activator-X set sounds really nice for metal and shred
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by JustRooster
Listen to Dave, buy used.

Quote by Slayterica
From what I've been looking for, I've got a few options that I'm torn between.

Bridge- Duncan distortion/invader, dimarzio d activator/x2n
Neck- Duncan pearly gates,...?
Any suggestions or objections would be appreciated.

don't really like the invader. distortion is alright but it's more of an 80s metal tone (think dokken).

haven't tried those two dimarzios.

you have a load of options for the neck, it's really up to you.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Some good suggestions so far. For a bridge pickup I'd personally go for a Duncan JB. Through my setup and experience its got a nice punchy snarl to it, sounds great when I'm doing Alter Bridge covers. And on a clean setting its a winner imo as well. And your suggestion of a pearly gates in the neck...i've never tried it, but that sounds like a good plan.
What is your amp?

As for pickups, i would go for the good old Crunchlab and Liquifire set from Dimarzio.
Or a Duncan Distortion and a Duncan '59.

I would avoid the Invader and the X2N. They're too hot to be usable for anything but high gain and they tend to be very muddy in the wrong guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
I prefer passive pups for metal. They've got a character that I've found to be lacking in active pups.

For metal pup combos, there are two combos that I swear by: (1) Seymour Duncan SH2/SH4 in the bridge and (2) Dimarzio Liquifire/Crunchlab.

The SH2/SH4 combo is a more versatile combo that has no trouble with tight rhythms and really smooth leads and cleans even with loads of distortion. The Dying in Your Arms and Rain covers on my MP3 page are using that combo.

The Liquifire/Crunchlab combo is similarly versatile, but I definitely prefer the Liquifire to the SN2 (mostly because the Liquifire is more specialized towards high-gain solos with competent cleans as opposed to the SH2's specialization towards cleans with competent high-gain). The Crunchlab sounds about the same as the SH4 to me, though I'm using the Crunchlab 7, so I'm very impressed by the tightness that I get even in lower tunings. I haven't gone as low as B or C with the SH4, so I can't speak for its clarity in those tunings. In E standard all the way down to C# standard, it's definitely a very clear, high output pup.
Thanks for all the input so far guys.
My amp is a Randall rx120, I put adistortion pedal in front of it tho. But I will be getting an orange dark terror soon..
So out of these we narrowed down, which would be better for mohagany?
And which is better for thrash stuff like megadeth, pantera, Metallica etc?
Sd distortion, crunchlab, d activator, sh4?
Don't care if it doesn't do clean good, I want pinch harmonics, good riff thump, and solo sustain. You know the best for metal
Here's my sh4 in action, different amp of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AljdtAEWGx0

The schecter i'm using it in is mahoghany so you can get a good idea for your guitar. I've played a few sd distortions and i've liked them quite a bit. Though 1 of them is biased both those duncans have my vote.

EDIT: I have another video of this song where the drums aren't as loud so you can probably hear the guitar better.
Last edited by JBailey23 at Mar 23, 2012,
Crunchlab/Liquifire. Thank us later.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Why is the crunchlab/liquifire a better combo than a Seymour Duncan setup?
I don't know anything about dimarzio. Are they that good, or is it just a different sound?
Quote by Slayterica
I don't know anything about dimarzio. Are they that good, or is it just a different sound?

DiMarzios just tend to be more clear sounding, with more articulation between different notes. To back that statement up, there is a reason Steve Vai/Joe Satriani use DiMarzios, because they need the distinction of individual notes in their playing. (This is all what I've heard) They sound like something to definitely try.
Look into a Seymour Duncan SH-6/SH-2 set.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why people can't get it? STAY AWAY FROM INVADERS! As you have mahogany body, sh-6 won't do it. Sh14 or SH4 in the bridge would be nice. Dimario Super Distortion in bridge and tone zone or PAF pro in neck should be perfect for you. Btw I can also recommend you evolution pickups which I am using at the moment, they are perfect for solo playing.
Nice sustain, high clarity even at highest gain, nice performance for everything from jazz-blues to death metal.
Last edited by cemges at Mar 24, 2012,
he was recomending the distortion
sh6 is distortion, sh8 is invader
but i think im over the invader anyway
at the moment tho im considering d activators, crunch lab, or sh6
so ill decide soon enough, havent heard much negativity for these 3 so we'll see
even the evolution like you just mentioned, idk yet
thanks for all the input tho guys
It all depends on what tone you're after. There are no bad tones. Just ones that are more or less suitable for different types music, styles, tonewoods... ect. Everyone has their own opinions so this thread isn't going to do you much good (especially on a forum like this).

To say an SD Invader is a bad pickup is pretty single minded. You don't like it so no one else will either... yeah, great advice that.

Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan both make great pickups. Barenuckle is said to make the best pickups since they're hand wound. The random spooling of hand winding decreases the capacitive properties of the coil and changes the frequency response. Or something like that. I'm sure they're great but I've never tried them.

Slayterica, the best thing you can do is first think about what kind of sound you want. To help you do that get the guitar and play it, alot. Figure out what you like and don't like about its tone. You have to experience the sound before the pickup change to appreciate it afterwords. Play it unplugged without that amp. Does it sound bright, warm, thin, full... ect? Then choose a pickup based on the associated EQ listed that will complement the tone of the guitar itself. In your case the mahogany body and maple neck may produce a warmish middy tone, which may be brighter in some places along the fretboard. The pickup's tone will be added to that tone. Maybe you want it to sound heavier, go for a Super Distortion which is mostly low/mids voiced. If you want it brighter for that "hot shreddy" sound choose a D-Activator which has more treble. But also consider the output in mV. If they're too high output you'll loose alot character. It won't sound as good on clean channels, you'll loose clarity, and you'll loose those subtle nuances your picking hand can create (pick noise, strumming, metallic "twang" stuff like that). You're not going to retain much of that with 18v active EMGs. Some will arge that the way you play and pick affects tone too. I tend to agree, but the more output the pickup has the less that shows through. The only good thing that comes from high output is the playability. You just barely hammer on and you still hear yourself next to a drummer.

Thats what separates a good pickup from a bad one. If it has great playability and output yet retains a good clear tone. The type of tone is only preference.

It's hard to pick new pickups. You really have analyze and think about what you want. I've been debating for month whether or not to put warmer Dimarzios in my Ibanez S5470Q. I'll keep the bright Hot Grinders because they complement the warm mahogany tone well. Plus I already have enough warmer/heavy guitars.

I hope that helps a bit.
that does help x-plorer88, thank you. and i do plan to play the thing for awhile before i decided to change pickups, and what sound i wanted to achieve. i started this thread to create a starting point for myself to understand where i would start and where to look. because like i said i have limited experience with different pickups, what i want in them, and which pickups do what for that matter. and im eager to branch out of just having emgs in all my guitars, something different.
and this idea of bright/warm/full tones, im still a little inexperienced to fully understand the concept. i kinda of get it, but im still trying to understand. so ill definately try and play the guitar without an amp and see what it sounds like, wasnt going to untill you suggested it, so thanks
My ibanez iceman had d-activators in it. I liked them well enough but they didn't really have the articulation I had come to expect from dimarzio. I think you really aught to consider all of the suggestions of the crunchlab/liquifire. It's a really well rounded setup.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by Slayterica

nah i wouldn't say they're any better, just different. i probably prefer dimarzio's higher gain pickups to duncan, but i probably prefer duncan's lower gain pickups to dimarzio.

that's not to say you'd agree, of course.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

good call
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Throw 'em for a loop and get single coils. Works for Iron Maiden.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
DiMarzio X2N!
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"