After arriving on these forums it's become apparent that one of the simplest and (possibly) most overlooked ways of controlling your tone is the guitar volume knob.

I turn it down a touch and the distortion just gets tighter, the riffs tighten up and it helps the noise gate out no end.

I tried the same trick with my bass guitar and that is sounding better as well.

I bow down to the guitar volume knob
Um... grats?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Hehe, you said knob
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Way under utilised these days. In the days of non-MV amps the volume knob was the main tool in the arsenal. The tone knob gets neglected a lot too. It amazes me when I see people with EMG's not using their guitar's controls - and then complain that they cant get anything out of their amp but distortion with too much high end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Volume knobs are for pussies. Pull it out and put in a killswitch and EMG Afterburner!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Volume knobs are for pussies. Pull it out and put in a killswitch and EMG Afterburner!

You and class were just never introduced were you?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it's not powerful at all. it's passive

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Way under utilised these days. In the days of non-MV amps the volume knob was the main tool in the arsenal. The tone knob gets neglected a lot too. It amazes me when I see people with EMG's not using their guitar's controls - and then complain that they cant get anything out of their amp but distortion with too much high end.

ah the good old days when you had to be inventive becasue there weren't many options available on your amp and fx. this is a bit of a lost art which is a shame. i use mine as well as the pickup selector switch on my strats to get a ton of different sounds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's not powerful at all. it's passive

Ah but deceleration is still acceleration in physics, it just has a negative value.
So it is powerful, just in an inverse relationship.
And think about it, how hot do attenuators get when you hammer 'em? Lot of power exchange going on there, huh? They are doing the same thing as a volume control, just with larger signals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the knob becomes powerful only to the weak user, much as the way fretboards are only hard to the softness of the flesh.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Cathbard
You and class were just never introduced were you?

I'm about as classy as an empty bottle of Knob Creek and a fat ass joint.

You ever drink Knob Creek? Blows JD out of the water IMHO.
Quote by Chargrill3d
Knob Creek is a fitting drink for this thread

On the rocks. **** the rocks.

Actually, just pass the bottle over here.
Quote by Cathbard
Ah but deceleration is still acceleration in physics, it just has a negative value.
So it is powerful, just in an inverse relationship.
And think about it, how hot do attenuators get when you hammer 'em? Lot of power exchange going on there, huh? They are doing the same thing as a volume control, just with larger signals.

quiet you
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If your tone gets tighter when you turn your volume down, you're just using way, way too much gain to begin with.

Anyway...

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I dunno - the distortion on the Suhr riot is set to like 10 o'clock. If I turn that down further it doesn't sound that great, however if I leave it there and turn the volume knob down it sounds way better?
Using your equipment the way it sounds good to you is usually the right thing to do, no matter what "The Right Way" is said to be.
knobs are not that useful for metal. But for everything else, they create a great tone. Yet, I'd rather not have a tone knob on a low end guitar with bad pickups. But if you have tried guitars like Gibson Les Paul (mean Gibson USA ones) or like PRS CU24, you'd know how slight differences can knobs create.
Quote by cemges
knobs are not that useful for metal. But for everything else, they create a great tone. Yet, I'd rather not have a tone knob on a low end guitar with bad pickups. But if you have tried guitars like Gibson Les Paul (mean Gibson USA ones) or like PRS CU24, you'd know how slight differences can knobs create.

Gonna have to disagree there. Especially on point two. Ever tried to tame the brightness of weak single coils without a tone knob? Sure you can do it but....why on earth wouldn't you want a tone knob? Ok cheap pots are sometimes a little jumpy but really...
Players don’t turn down their guitar volume knob because they think it degrades their tone. In general, it does, unless it just happens to provide a tone you’re looking for. My fender HM Strat has the TBX tone controls. Even though passive, I find that the TBX meets Fender’s claims and is more effective at shaping your tone than the typical tone pot. I like the feel of having the detent position - and the detent provides one of my favorite tones. It works well for both the humbucker and the single coils. Another plus – it makes the volume pot more usable and effective - pickups/tone characteristics don’t change as much as you turn down the volume. I say bring back the TBX from the 1980s. It’s a pretty easy mod for anyone who wants to try it. For the mod, see this article by Dirk Wacker.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Oct/The_Fender_TBX_Tone_Control_Part_1.aspx
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B