Hey guys,

Whenever I play Football Manager on my macbook pro, after about 20 minutes the fan starts to kick and make some really loud noise. I've read in places that this is normal and it's not a problem as the fans are kicking in to keep the macbook cool. Is that true?

Thanks in advance
Quote by bass wizard
Hey guys,

Whenever I play Football Manager on my macbook pro, after about 20 minutes the fan starts to kick and make some really loud noise. I've read in places that this is normal and it's not a problem as the fans are kicking in to keep the macbook cool. Is that true?

Thanks in advance

>Macbook Pro

I found the problem
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Can't solve your problem but for Macbook Pros.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
>Mac
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Ugh football fans are the worst
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
Ugh football fans are the worst

I will slap you.
(Don't worry, I got the pun)

Quote by Trowzaa
I will slap you.
(Don't worry, I got the pun)

Nah, you'd probably just blow into one of those horn thingys at me for like 3 hours
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Vuvuzela and I'm not African, mongey.

Keeping it cool is what the fan is for and it's not uncommon for Apple products to get very hot.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Hurrrrrr, of course that's why a fan would turn on. But I mean.. Mac. Lol.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Yep, that's normal. Whenvever I used to play Starcraft mine would after 20 minutes or so. I usually put an ice pack wrapped in a blanket under it though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
all recent Apple computers have temperature sensors throughout them, which are used to keep the fans at the precise correct speed for optimum cooling to power consumption. If you push the computer harder (by playing games for example), the fans will run faster.

edit: and I play Skyrim on full settings at 1080p from my macbook pro, the'yre decent for gaming as far as non-gaming laptops go, you just need to dualboot windows.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Mar 23, 2012,
Macs are useless at running games, and thus need exorbitant cooling systems to prevent their precious, no doubt chrome-lined and Viatnamese slave child polished innards from melting into a gloop that closer resembles their actual value as general computing tools.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Macs are useless at running games, and thus need exorbitant cooling systems to prevent their precious, no doubt chrome-lined and Viatnamese slave child polished innards from melting into a gloop that closer resembles their actual value as general computing tools.

But they're ace at running production programs, his fault for trying to play games on one.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
But they're ace at running production programs, his fault for trying to play games on one.

Indeed, that's why I specified 'general computing'.
"Football Manager"? That doesn't sound like it's Apple-endorsed and gives them enough revenue so it probably isn't compatible with your Macbook. What you need is "iFootball". In fact, you should probably get off this website until Apple gets more involved otherwise you could see more issues arise, especially if you're not using Safari.
Quote by Artemis Entreri

That's what I got a macbook for, to run Logic Pro and Pro Tools on. I just put FM12 on it so I could have something to do when i'm not producing music.
Quote by Artemis Entreri

I don't understand that one. I've had loads of image editors, video editors, 3d programs, music recording software run perfectly fine on Windows. I can't for the life of me see any improvement by getting an Apple computer, especially for an extra grand or on the price.
Macbook Pros just run really hot in general. When I'm gaming for a while it pretty much heats up my room. As long as you're within the operating temperature range you'll be fine.

Unless the loud sound you're describing sounds like something's obstructing the fans...
Quote by super_strat
Macbook Pros just run really hot in general. When I'm gaming for a while it pretty much heats up my room. As long as you're within the operating temperature range you'll be fine.

Unless the loud sound you're describing sounds like something's obstructing the fans...

I don't think anythings obstructing the fans. It runs fine normally, it's just when I play FM on it the fan cranks up. How do I check it's running in the right temperature range/what is a good temperature for it to be running at?
Quote by bass wizard
I don't think anythings obstructing the fans. It runs fine normally, it's just when I play FM on it the fan cranks up. How do I check it's running in the right temperature range/what is a good temperature for it to be running at?

You don't really need to, it should shut itself down before it gets anywhere near hot enough to damage itself.
Quote by Todd Hart
You don't really need to, it should shut itself down before it gets anywhere near hot enough to damage itself.

Lovely. Looks like the answer is it's not a problem, just the fans doing their job. Thanks guys
Quote by bass wizard

if you want to see the temperatures, download iStat Pro. it's a free widget that shows all sorts of stats, including temperature. There's an automatic shutdown if it overheats anyway though so it's not something you really need to monitor. Mine tends to run between 60C and 90C on the CPU.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Apparently the internal operating temperature is meant to stay within 30 and 90 degrees celsius, with slight variation depending on your own machine.
If the program is CPU intensive, the fans will increase their RPM's. Download smcFanControl or iStat Pro, in which you can monitor internal temps and fan speeds.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bass wizard
Football Manager

macbook pro
There's your problem.
Quote by Todd Hart
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by JackalUK
I don't understand that one. I've had loads of image editors, video editors, 3d programs, music recording software run perfectly fine on Windows. I can't for the life of me see any improvement by getting an Apple computer, especially for an extra grand or on the price.

It depends on the level of technical use. The performance is not the issue. But rather, OSX has some built-in features that becomes very useful and integrates much better with a workstation setup than Windows. A complex audio setup, for example, may require global MIDI over LAN, which is integrated in OSX but not Windows. CoreAudio is native in OSX whereas you'd have to install ASIO in Windows. For graphics, OSX has built-in utilities for things like color calibration. These are just a few examples of key utilities that Windows just don't have and makes it much easier to deal with on a professional level.

In pure hardware numbers, a PC would have the best value, but it is utterly stupid to judge only by these numbers, and is precisely why most Windows users are still clueless. For example, a 27" iMac may seem unreasonably expensive based on CPU/memory until you take into account its extremely high resolution, which makes a professional workflow much more efficient. There are only a few monitors out there with the same resolution and the total cost would be around the same neighborhood.

Also, a Mac comes with a lot of decent built-in software. For a casual computer user, an $800 Mac Mini + monitor/peripherals has everything you need, whether it's Garageband or Mail or iLife suite. Buying these things separately on a Windows machine would bring up the cost to around the same area. And while a Mac can experience this problem, "PC Rot" stems from an inherent flaw in Windows' registry system.

At the end of the day, I like the physical look, feel, and UI of OSX over a PC, even though I have both. I have no problem paying more for it, especially when I have to work on it all day.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by ErikLensherr
Can't solve your problem but for Macbook Pros.

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by behind_you

I like it. Haven't had a single problem in two years. It runs perfectly.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils

I like it. Haven't had a single problem in two years. It runs perfectly.
I was just messing.

I prefer windows, but I love bashing mac when an apple fanboy is around.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
I was just messing.

I prefer windows, but I love bashing mac when an apple fanboy is around.

I figured.

A yes, bashing fanboys favorite things is always fun.
___

Quote by The_Blode