so i posted here the other day about getting some fizzle out of the recordings i did with my tonelab.

however i just bought a focusrite saffire 6 and im trying to get some good tones from my amp but i seem to be struggling.

(i made another thread in another recording forum but they don't seem to giving a lot of help so im pasting this over here)

So i guess what i have is two problems, im starting to get more into recording. i've been using a vox tonelab into reaper just to lay down ideas for a few years now. however i want to get more into recording so i bought steven slate drums and a focusrite saffire 6. i've never had this problem with my tone lab but all my recordings seem very dry i guess is away to describe them. im going for a high gain modern sound here. here is one example

B-52 atx-100 recording

For this im using a b-52 atx-100 through a mesa 4x12 cab, i feel a bit sketchy about the mic placement here, and also the mic im using? im using a audio technica mb1000h. could the mic be the problem? im seriouslly ready to go out and buy an SM57 tommarow?

also i seem to be having the same problem here where im going direct in to the saffire from my guitar and using amp sims to get the sound.

vst recordings

im using the tse x50 b2 and lecab2 using a gods cab impulse

everything just sounds so sterile and dry to me. is there something im missing here?

Also there seems to be no body to the sound?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Typically you will want to lower the gain, increase the middle frequency, and just some of it may be technique. If you are a technical players you won't need much gain to get across the sound you want. Go like this with your EQ
Bass 8
Mid 5.5-7
Treble 6
hmm my recording still just sounds to dry to me? idk is it my mic, should i get a di box?
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Listening to both examples, you're using too much gain in both, I'd say, giving you extra high-end dsistortion (and creating that hiss that is undesirable). In the amp one, you don't have enough midrange or presence, which is making the sound a bit sterile. In the VST one, you have a lot more low end which is why it sounds fuller on its own, but I think in a mix it would cut through less and be competing with the bass too much.

If it helps, I can upload some solo'd guitar tracks from some of my mixes (Propaganda is probably a good one for that, of those on my UG Profile) to show how the guitar doesn't always work best in a mix if it sounds great on its own? In fact, I'd say that if your guitar tracks sound perfect on their own, you're gonna have to cut some frequencies to accentuate the key points of that tone, if you want it to shine through in a full mix still.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
i see what your getting at here. thanks! i'll play with some eq and gain and post back in a bit
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Hello sir,

Personally, I think it's pretty hard to gauge your tone, although I agree with goliath regarding the gain. Unless you'd forgotten to mention this in your post, you should double track your guitar. It gives it more body. However, as a result, you'll need to really dial down the gain, otherwise things get messy.

Don't go crazy over body, though. Once again, it's hard to gauge your tone. Guitars can sound like shit alone. There's a reason people call it a mix. Eating copious amounts of spices by itself is disgusting. Yet the overall mix of a cooked meal is better as a whole with it in there. You should post some stuff with bass and drums. Judging by your parkway drive looking thumbnail, I'd assume the tone you're going for is heavily bass and kick drum reliant for its body.
Last edited by mahhk at Mar 26, 2012,
Quote by mahhk
Hello sir,

Personally, I think it's pretty hard to gauge your tone, although I agree with goliath regarding the gain. Unless you'd forgotten to mention this in your post, you should double track your guitar. It gives it more body. However, as a result, you'll need to really dial down the gain, otherwise things get messy.

Don't go crazy over body, though. Once again, it's hard to gauge your tone. Guitars can sound like shit alone. There's a reason people call it a mix. Eating copious amounts of spices by itself is disgusting. Yet the overall mix of a cooked meal is better as a whole with it in there. You should post some stuff with bass and drums. Judging by your parkway drive looking thumbnail, I'd assume the tone you're going for is heavily bass and kick drum reliant for its body.

I would say so yeah i am looking for a very heavy tight tone, also both of the samples are double tracked, i mean legit double tracked not copied and pasted. also when im tracking should i have any of my interfaces preamps on?
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Okay so i think i got a tone im somewhat happy with.
i moved the cab to another room thats more open, i was recording in my bed room which is the 2nd story of an old cape cod style house so the roof is the ceiling and make everything cramped. i also moved the mic a bit closer. this time i used a bit less gain and eq'ed differently. i added a high pass and low pass filter and some compression at a 4:1 ratio. i also quad tracked, well rather double tracked and copied the two tracks and panned them 100 to the left, 75 left, 75 right, and 100 to the right. this seems better than before however theres still a little bit missing? i think im gonna get an sm57 as i think the rest is the mic im using.

here's a sample
Sample

I specifically like the tone in the second rhythm part, after the beginning it breaks for 2 measures because its my bands song and there's supposed to be a drum fill there
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Last edited by travs2448 at Mar 26, 2012,