Hey guys. I have a question regarding how I can get the best tone possible out of my amp. I'm specifically looking at the volume knobs on my power amp and preamp. At the moment, I have the volume dime'd out on my preamp and use the volume knob on my power amp as sort of a master volume knob. This gives me a pretty good tone, to my ears, but I haven't really tried anything else. Should I be using my preamp as the master volume and crank my power amp to get the best tone, or a mixture of both? The reason I'm doing this the way it's being done now is mostly for simplicity, but I'm starting to become concerned about my tone and tube life. The preamp tubes would be cheap to replace, but the power amp is gunna be expensive because there are so many tubes. Any ideas?
Depends on what you want, if you want a tight metal tone, crank the preamp, and only use what you must in power amp volume, if you want a more rockish tone, try less preamp and more poweramp.

The way tubes are made today, it wont matter how hard you push them, you wont get more than 3-5 years out of them.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The way tubes are made today, it wont matter how hard you push them, you wont get more than 3-5 years out of them.

That seems awfully high from my experience. I've gotten about a max of a year out of power tubes and a little more on preamp tubes. Am I doing it wrong?

EDIT: Thanks for the input, though. That's exactly what I needed to know!
Quote by ethan_hanus
Really? I've been running the same tubes for about 2 years and I push them rather hard. You must be doing something wrong, or buying really crappy tubes.

Probably has something to do with me not letting them warm up enough.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just give them 30 seconds on standby and you'll be fine. How long do you give them?

As long as it takes for me to grab my guitar. =/ I know. Not smart. I should probably get in the habit of letting them warm up.