I honestly don't know what has been happening to me and music lately. I used to like all kinds of music, but now it seems like I only listen to Classical. I don't know if it's because (in my opinion) it's way better then any other type of music or what. Also I pretty much hate all modern music now. I hate drums and electric guitar, and I played electric guitar for 5 years before picking up classical guitar and I used to really want to learn how to play the drums. Well part of it is because my roommate plays electric guitar, and he's the type that his amp up to 11 which is annoying when I'm trying to study or concentrate on something else. Drums because the guys a floor above my room play drums, and whenever they play all I hear is pounding on the ceiling which is really annoying, and whenever I practice in the practice rooms at my college and someone is playing on the drumset, it's really hard to concentrate and it makes me frusterated. Well some people aren't as bad but some play as loud as possible (you shouldn't need ear protection to practice!).

Also, this isn't as big as a problem, (I'm sure it will sort itself out eventually) but I thought it would be worth mentioning. I've been kind of losing motivation to play guitar. I haven't been practicing nearly as much as I used to. I've been playing piano more then I have guitar, and I already learned all the things I will be graded on next week for piano. Well, I'm probably just having a bad week. Also the winner of the 2010 Guitar Foundation of America competition is coming to my college next month to give a concert and a masterclass so that will probably get me back into it, but it kind of dealing with the lack of motivation I'm having right now.

Anybody have a similar experiece like this? I'm definetly not quitting music, but I don't know what's been happening to me and my music lately.
I have no idea about the shifting tastes thing. I don't think I've ever experienced a really dramatic shift in the music I like. But I don't see why this would lead to a dislike of Guitar as an instrument or a lack of motivation to play. There are plenty of brilliant classical compositions for guitar. Villa-Lobos is a boss (Albéniz too though his work wasn't originally intended for guitar).
Quote by Nietsche
I have no idea about the shifting tastes thing. I don't think I've ever experienced a really dramatic shift in the music I like. But I don't see why this would lead to a dislike of Guitar as an instrument or a lack of motivation to play. There are plenty of brilliant classical compositions for guitar. Villa-Lobos is a boss (Albéniz too though his work wasn't originally intended for guitar).

It's funny that I'm currently working on those pieces

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I love classical guitar. I'm studying classical guitar in college. I'm just having a lack of motivation latley but I'm sure I'll get back into it soon. I was talking about electric guitar that I disliked. I played electric guitar for 5 years and now I can't stand it
Quote by d1sturbed4eva
It's funny that I'm currently working on those pieces

So am I, the Villa-Lobos piece is one of the pieces I'm planning on performing for my diploma

I was talking about electric guitar that I disliked. I played electric guitar for 5 years and now I can't stand it

Well if you don't like music which features electric guitar prominently I guess it's kind of evident that you wouldn't have much motivation to play the electric guitar. I don't know what you could do about that really, I don't think I can relate. I can't really see myself getting bored of the metal/hardcore scene anytime soon. Maybe try finding some bands and guitar players that you haven't listened too before would give you some more inspiration. I remember hearing Tosin Abasi play for the first time a few months ago got me super motivated for practicing for a while.
Quote by Nietsche
So am I, the Villa-Lobos piece is one of the pieces I'm planning on performing for my diploma

I'm actually working on it for my audition next year haha, I go to a 2 year school and I'm going to transfer to a 4 year school after I finish up here.

Quote by Nietsche
Well if you don't like music which features electric guitar prominently I guess it's kind of evident that you wouldn't have much motivation to play the electric guitar. I don't know what you could do about that really, I don't think I can relate. I can't really see myself getting bored of the metal/hardcore scene anytime soon. Maybe try finding some bands and guitar players that you haven't listened too before would give you some more inspiration. I remember hearing Tosin Abasi play for the first time a few months ago got me super motivated for practicing for a while.

To be honest, I don't really care if I ever pick up the electric guitar again It's just the fact that my musical tastes completly changed within a couple of months. On a related note, my colleges Jazz Band performed today which helped revive my intrest in jazz It's still not something that I'd listen to during my free time though.
I've been going through something amazingly like this for about a year now. I've been playing only piano for almost a year, and I got amazingly bored of about 80% of the music I had been listening to until then. In a moment everything just started to sound dull.

So I listened almost exclusively to classical for a while > Got into some eastern music > Got into jazz through piano > Got into guitar through jazz > got into some of the music I "lost" again. Still can't listen to most though.

Still like the sound of the piano much more than the electric guitar, but I've been able to let go of the block in my mind that says "This is how you're supposed to play when playing electric guitar" much better and just create music with it. And I'm liking guitar better everyday.
Quote by Unrelaxed

Still like the sound of the piano much more than the electric guitar, but I've been able to let go of the block in my mind that says "This is how you're supposed to play when playing electric guitar" much better and just create music with it. And I'm liking guitar better everyday.

That's kind of my problem. When I started playing classical guitar it was so much more enjoyable then playing electric guitar (and sounded better), it made it harder for me to appreciate it.
Maybe give post-rock a listen to? Maybe bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, or This Will Destroy You. Its electric-guitar centric music, but they use it in a very interesting "thinking-outside-the-box" kind of fashion. No, its not classical, but dynamically IMO, they are very similar.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor even had 9 or so people in their band. Not quite an orchestra, I know, but definitely not a stereotypical rock-quartet. They had a violinist, a couple drummers/percussionists, a couple guitarists, and someone played bagpipes for a couple songs.

Anyways, try it out for a possibly nice change of pace...?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I have a friend just like you. He started learning guitar at age 5. Dude could sweep like hell but once he entered into college, he had a strong distaste for anything distorted. Only plays classical guitar. I play classical guitar as well. Nowadays, if I listen to something distorted, it's usually Progressive Rock but I still love all the music I used to regularly listen to. But I'm a sucker for a good pop song or rock ballad.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Then just listen to classical. Nothing wrong with that. I listen to and study it almost exclusively. Being "open-minded" in the way most people on here advocate is nothing but a shallow way of consuming music. Embrace the style that speaks to you and dedicate to it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Then just listen to classical. Nothing wrong with that. I listen to and study it almost exclusively. Being "open-minded" in the way most people on here advocate is nothing but a shallow way of consuming music. Embrace the style that speaks to you and dedicate to it.

+1
Quote by AWACS
Maybe give post-rock a listen to? Maybe bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, or This Will Destroy You. Its electric-guitar centric music, but they use it in a very interesting "thinking-outside-the-box" kind of fashion. No, its not classical, but dynamically IMO, they are very similar.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor even had 9 or so people in their band. Not quite an orchestra, I know, but definitely not a stereotypical rock-quartet. They had a violinist, a couple drummers/percussionists, a couple guitarists, and someone played bagpipes for a couple songs.

Anyways, try it out for a possibly nice change of pace...?

I gave them a listen. They aren't really doing it for me but thanks for the suggestion anyways. They are a lot better then other music I've been hearing recently.

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I have a friend just like you. He started learning guitar at age 5. Dude could sweep like hell but once he entered into college, he had a strong distaste for anything distorted. Only plays classical guitar. I play classical guitar as well. Nowadays, if I listen to something distorted, it's usually Progressive Rock but I still love all the music I used to regularly listen to. But I'm a sucker for a good pop song or rock ballad.

Yeah, that pretty much describes me except that I wasn't good at electric guitar even though I played it for 5 years before switching over to classical.Good to know that I'm in the same boat as somebody else

Quote by Xiaoxi

That's what I think Im going to do. It's just frustrating sometimes that the music I used to like annoys the hell out of me now. I guess I just have to learn to live with it, assuming that my musical taste doesn't completly change again but that doesn't seem to be happening anythime soon.
Quote by d1sturbed4eva

That's what I think Im going to do. It's just frustrating sometimes that the music I used to like annoys the hell out of me now. I guess I just have to learn to live with it, assuming that my musical taste doesn't completly change again but that doesn't seem to be happening anythime soon.

In my teens, I have been a fan of Rap for a few years, then it was electronic music especially melodic trance for a few years as well and it my late teens it was alternative rock and punk. The first time I heard an intrumental guitar virtuoso, I was amazed and I have never listenned actively any other genre of music in the last 8 years. I can't stand the genre I used to listen to anymore either. Basicslly, you just found the right sound for you.