There's some scientific truth to it ? Or it's just a myth or a psychological thing ?
I ask this because I've bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 and they sound not very good to me...like harsh highs and bass lacking. I mean I hope things get better but as for now I'm extremely disappointed.
I can't see anyone ever saying the bass is lacking on the DT770s. I had bought some new a few months ago and they were extremely bass heavy, and not harsh in the highs at all (right out of the box)

But yes, there is truth to "burn in." Just like speakers in your guitar cab, they need to loosen up and even out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It's true.
All those mechanical parts involved in moving air need some "burn-in" time.
I settle for 30-50 hours of use before making up my mind on new headphones.

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
I think you're all talking about "break in" time & yes the myth is true.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by MatrixClaw
I can't see anyone ever saying the bass is lacking on the DT770s. I had bought some new a few months ago and they were extremely bass heavy, and not harsh in the highs at all (right out of the box)

But yes, there is truth to "burn in." Just like speakers in your guitar cab, they need to loosen up and even out.

I don't know...I like them way more than my old cheap ones for tracking and monitoring, they're a lot more clear and detailed but when I listen to music I find them a little ''unpleasant'', like they've a scooped midrange and are too ''clynical'', kinda ''cold'' in a word. I guess I'm too accustomed to my old crappy pair that was very very bass heavy to the point of being muddy. I'll give the Beyerdynamic more time...
Ok this is getting weird...When I use them with my Creative Zen mp3 player they sound absolutely beautiful...the bass is crushing and the highs are not harsh at all; just a pleasant listening experience overall. But... when I use them with my notebook through my interface (Presonus Audiobox) the bass is seriously lacking and the highs are very very harsh, can be the headphone preamp of the Audiobox that make them sound like crap ?
It's probably because of the ohm rating of the headphones.

Which version of the DT770s do you have? They make a 250 ohm version and an 80 ohm version.

The 80 ohm version will work better on a consumer-grade amp, whereas the 250 ohm is more for a hifi setup; they need more to drive them. From my own experience, the 80 ohm version is much better for nearly every application, unless you're using a nice external headphone amp.

If you're not digging the 770s, though, you owe it to yourself to try out the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. They are far more accurate and less hyped in the lowend. I know several engineers who are using them as their main headphones to dial in lowend on; citing the fact that while their might be better headphones out there for the application, they're all 4+ times more expensive.

The DT770s are really cool headphones though, and they are SUPER comfortable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Like all the good things I'm hearing about the DT770's. They're on my Birthday list this year.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's probably because of the ohm rating of the headphones.

Which version of the DT770s do you have? They make a 250 ohm version and an 80 ohm version.

The 80 ohm version will work better on a consumer-grade amp, whereas the 250 ohm is more for a hifi setup; they need more to drive them. From my own experience, the 80 ohm version is much better for nearly every application, unless you're using a nice external headphone amp.

If you're not digging the 770s, though, you owe it to yourself to try out the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. They are far more accurate and less hyped in the lowend. I know several engineers who are using them as their main headphones to dial in lowend on; citing the fact that while their might be better headphones out there for the application, they're all 4+ times more expensive.

The DT770s are really cool headphones though, and they are SUPER comfortable.

They're the 80 ohm ones. I was set on buying the ATH-M50s but then I read on several audiophile forums how much better the Beyerdynamic DT770 were and for the same price I went for the Beyer. Again I'm not disappointed with them, I mean with my mp3 player they're just great ! It's with my audio interface that they're disappointing. Anyway I'll try to test them with other audio devices.
Quote by francesco18
They're the 80 ohm ones. I was set on buying the ATH-M50s but then I read on several audiophile forums how much better the Beyerdynamic DT770 were and for the same price I went for the Beyer. Again I'm not disappointed with them, I mean with my mp3 player they're just great ! It's with my audio interface that they're disappointing. Anyway I'll try to test them with other audio devices.

That's interesting.

Not to bash the DT770s, because they're great headphones, but I've never once heard someone say they're better than ATH-M50s, at least for studio applications. I could see how someone might like the 770s for listening better, they are more comfortable and hyped in many pleasing ranges, but in a studio application, the ATs are far superior for mixing IMO

Definitely try them on different sources, though. My DT770s certainly weren't lacking in bass, nor did they sound worse through my interface (they sounded much better).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com