It's 2nd hand 500 euro, (about 650 dollar). The reverb has been taken out. I like to play stuff like megadeth, ozzy, metallica, pantera, death. Do you guys think I should buy it? Or is there something better I could buy? Is the Laney Ironheart better for my style? (it's new about 650 euro = 850 dollar). Or got any other advise. And I don't really care for the reverb.

And if one of you heard both of them? How does the DSL compare to the JCM 900 SL-x?
Last edited by holywins183 at Mar 23, 2012,
I haven't heard the Ironheart in person, but if you can live without reverb it's not a bad price. I used mine for Megadeth and it did the job, still miss it. I'd say it's better than the 900, but try before you buy, as always.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I'd say try out the Ironheart, and see if you can try a DSL somewhere. It's best not to take the gamble without trying, I've done that a lot, sometimes you get a nice surprise, mostly, you're dissapointed.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
well i can't try it out... no music stores in a 50 mile radius sell those amps... and the guy selling the DSL is 70 miles away.
See if he'll bring it to you. Do you have a cab?

If he's serious about selling, he'll be willing to work with you. Maybe offer to comp gas. You don't have to, but you'd be an ass if you didn't.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
The sl-x is no normal 900. If you can deal with one channel, it will sound better for what you want than either of the other two. Great amp
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I would definitely recommend the DSL over the Ironheart (not even EL34 based) or the SL-X for what you want to play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The DSL is a great amp for the money. I will definitely cover Ozzy, Metallica, & Megadeth. I've owned several and they all sounded great. I'd go for it.
Quote by Offworld92
I would definitely recommend the DSL over the Ironheart (not even EL34 based) or the SL-X for what you want to play.

Really? If you don't mind me asking, what's your logic behind this one? I'm not questioning the rec, just wondering what youre thinking, for ozzy, megadeth, and early tallica i cant imagine too many amps that would cover them all better, not to mention its just a sick amp in general. admittedly, pantera and death would be a different tone, but i don't see the dsl doing any better really
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by dementiacaptain
Really? If you don't mind me asking, what's your logic behind this one? I'm not questioning the rec, just wondering what youre thinking, for ozzy, megadeth, and early tallica i cant imagine too many amps that would cover them all better, not to mention its just a sick amp in general. admittedly, pantera and death would be a different tone, but i don't see the dsl doing any better really

The DSL basically has a JCM800 in it already, plus a higher gain mode, plus a clean mode. A JCM800 will nail pretty much all of that stuff, and the higher gain will work well for Pantera and Death. I love the DSL because of how flexible it is. The SLX isn't anywhere near as flexible, and while it can sound good, for sure, it won't get as close as the DSL to recreating those tones. It just sounds different.

The Ironheart is just a completely different ballgame, It's not even worth considering, IMO (given the other options presented already).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Laney IronHeart uses a toroidal power transfomer... which saves on space, but is known to generate more noise in the circuit than a standard power transformer. Skip the IronFart.