Stop hovering - I have no idea if this should be put somewhere else.

Pretty big place, pretty big topic.

I sat in a lecture today about African music and culture and loads of thoughts came to me. With the KONY shit as well, I've been thinking about a few questions and hypotheses:

Will it ever get better there? Pretty massive statement and generalisation as I know it is a huge place, but in the last 20/30 years alone we've had:- Apartheid (in one of the most civilised African nations, Genocide, child slavery, poor living conditions and the list goes on.

This is one that's never really been touched on, but I kinda though about it and I think it's a really interesting debate.

If we hadn't have colonised Africa to the extent we have done, and taken natives as slaves, would we have African Americans/Brits etc so intergrated into our society? In a kind of crazy roundabout way, some people's suffering has been worth it generations down the line. I can't think of another way to put what I'm trying to say (fairly late so not very eloquent), but I think it's interesting.
Last edited by Tanglewoodguit at Mar 23, 2012,
I'm going to intentionally not seriously engage with this debate simply because you tried to block hovering.

Really, what's your problem with hovering? EH!? TELL ME.

EDIT: But yeah I always think it's amazing how culturally different we'd be now if not for slavery. Even just in music you can write off half the big genres today.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Mar 23, 2012,
Maybe it will get better once the world stops fighting over everything and stops being so fucking greedy.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
You have to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
You have to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time...

Man, I was mean, but I've changed in my sleep, and I'm doing the best that I can.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by MadClownDisease
But yeah I always think it's amazing how culturally different we'd be now if not for slavery. Even just in music you can write off half the big genres today.

This x1000000000
As much as there is an issue with corruption and lack of support and development in Africa I do think people often overlook the issue that a lot of places simply can't support the populations there.

Famine and poverty is affected by corruption and conflict of course, but I think a big problem is that there is a rapidly and massively expanding population in areas that just can't support the numbers there.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I'm going to intentionally not seriously engage with this debate simply because you tried to block hovering.

Really, what's your problem with hovering? EH!? TELL ME.

THIS!
TS, i hovered and i liked it.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by cam_sampbell
Man, I was mean, but I've changed in my sleep, and I'm doing the best that I can.

I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she looveed.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
If we hadn't have colonised Africa to the extent we have done, and taken natives as slaves, would we have African Americans/Brits etc so intergrated into our society? In a kind of crazy roundabout way, some people's suffering has been worth it generations down the line.

This may be true, but are you seriously suggesting this was a fair trade? We ruin a continent so that some people can live in conditions that are moderately better but probably far worse than if the continent had been left on its own. Sounds like a bad thing to me.

It's all historical speculation, though. So none of it is really legitimate (butterfly effect, etc.).
Hmm..... All these masterdebaters....
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Ofcourse africa will get better once aids will get airborne or the plague shows up again or any other deadly disease.

The political system is too ****ed, there are too many people and to little food/water and because of the minerals etc greed will overcome cooperation. I think we should get all the good african people their own place in africa where they can start over.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Aaannddd... this has what to do with TS's question?

well
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I sat in a lecture today about African music and culture and loads of thoughts came to me. With the KONY shit as well, I've been thinking about a few questions and hypotheses:
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
With the KONY shit as well, I've been thinking about a few questions and hypotheses:
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
With the KONY shit as well,
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
KONY

y u hatin anyways, its a good video, no?
If we continue to throw money at africa they will never learn to help themselves and will be reliant on aid forever.

They don't even seem to want to help themselves , they have a massive opportunity for eco tourism but they insist on eating all their rare animals. They can't have an election without going into the streets and beating their opponents with sticks.
Last edited by burghUK at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
well

It's a great video
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I hear a lot of Black people live in Africa.

I've heard this, too. I wonder why that is. Is it because [insert racist joke]?
Quote by Tanglewoodguit

Genocide, child slavery, poor living conditions and the list goes on.

Its a good start
Quote by burghUK
If we continue to throw money at africa they will never learn to help themselves and will be reliant on aid forever.

They don't even seem to want to help themselves , they have a massive opportunity for eco tourism but they insist on eating all their rare animals. They can't have an election without going into the streets and beating their opponents with sticks.

Aye let's just stop trying to provide necessities to people who need them. Them little children that are starving with no one around for them, little buggers just have to learn to help themselves, pointless giving them clean water the little brats!!

Fuck the rare animals, I'd eat all the rare animals in Africa if me and people I know where dying from starvation.

Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
well

Last edited by ninnipinni93 at Mar 23, 2012,
It's merely natural selection. In the animal world when theres a food shortage , they animals move to greener pastures or die. They don't get free food handouts from national badger society of giving.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I hear a lot of Black people live in Africa.

That's sexist.

OT: Well, just colonize it again this time without the use force. Start companies, create jobs, study and research the diseases and make public schools and healthcare.

Or be like any other government and do nothing but saying a few discerning words on the subject, and move on.
It's hard to say what it would be like if it wasn't for colonisation. For starters, would we have avoided interfering entirely? Or only tried to interfere positively?

But yes, it is fixable. Africa is still a better place to live than it was 20 years ago. HIV aside. But even that is starting to get better (read: the pace of decline is slowing).
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
it's slowly getting better.
It looks as if it's asia who is going to "take the lead" atm, but after that is it entirely possible that Africa will catch up.

So much is happening globally all the time that it is really hard to predict.
But I doubt Africa will stay like this forever.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

OT: Well, just colonize it again this time without the use force. Start companies, create jobs, study and research the diseases and make public schools and healthcare.

Or be like any other government and do nothing but saying a few discerning words on the subject, and move on.

Came here to post exactly this. It'd be expensive and resource-intensive as fuck, but it would make Africa a contributing member of society rather than a giant resource dump.
Quote by CrossBack7
Came here to post exactly this. It'd be expensive and resource-intensive as fuck, but it would make Africa a contributing member of society rather than a giant resource dump.

Actually we still take a hell of a lot of shit out of Africa. Diamonds, timber, crops, and fuckloads of minerals. The Democratic Republic of Congo is probably the wealthiest country in the world in terms of its mineral wealth. But they don't see any of that because it's not in our interests. We still get the minerals we need so nobody cares about how they're produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_minerals
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS

"YOU'RE ALL FUCKING STUPID!"

Literally lol'd. Great video.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
Eh, hopefully it'll get better there. Kind of difficult to be optimistic.
My God, it's full of stars!