I'm in the market for a pair of 2x12 speaker cabinets, and I'm not looking for super high end cabs, just something that gets the job done. Seismic Audio sells some empty 2x12 cabs for around $170 each, and I need two of them. So I was thinking, what about pre-made subwoofer boxes? I found this one:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21654_Absolute-DSS-12-BLACK.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product_ads&gclid=CPb00uuM_q4CFWsaQgod_GWA1Q

Its only $40 made of 3/4" MDF and the dimensions are within a few inches of a Mesa rectifier 2x12. I don't see any reason why it wont work as long as I swap out the jack plates, but I thought I would ask someone else. I would be putting Vintage 30's in them if that matters at all. Is there any problems with this idea?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Not any real problems, but their probably built so that it resonates at low frequencies, which means you'll probably get pretty much bass. But that's the only possible problem I see that there could be.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by henrihell
Not any real problems, but their probably built so that it resonates at low frequencies, which means you'll probably get pretty much bass. But that's the only possible problem I see that there could be.

It's built like a speaker cab...

Go for it..

The ad stated that the "Poly fill" wasn't included.. thats good..

cover them with Tolex... expanded Metal for a speaker grill.. I think they'd look and work great...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
If you are a bass player you might want to put in a horn or vent.If you play guitar I like Mesa,s Black shadow twelves.They can stand a ton of gain.I've never blown one and I've played Marshalls,Hi-Watts Oranges,pretty much what they were pushing at the time.Good thing for sound guys,If we'd ever turned up those walls of stacks,I'd need a seeing ear dog.panhead
I made a 1 x 12" head/cab combo out of a sub box. A 2 x 12" stand alone cab would be much simpler in terms of modding.

I cut a hole in the back to stop it being tuned as a air suspended sub woofer box (and also doubles as ventilation and as the back access to get to the tubes), and mounted the head in it.

The box was $40, some elbow grease, measuring, cutting and drilling and viola, instant head/cab combo and I couldn't be happier.

Sounds bloody terrific.

Check it.

Head/Cab Combo Mod
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Mar 23, 2012,
Ubertars are great but it takes 3 roadies to re-string em.I made my own cab for something and was'nt happy with it.Used baltic birch plywood and was still losing something.I went to autozone and bought a fiberglass repair kit and fiberglassed the inside of it.Cost like 9 bucks or something like that.Made all the difference in the world.I used celestion 30,s on top and 90,s on the bottom.I'm using it witth a triple rec and I love it.panhead yeah some of my stuff is in my profile,too.What's a lightbulb?I made an amp out of a bad cat that fell off a truck and a 5watt bugera.I love it.It's pointless but it records great on 1/2 watt line out
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 23, 2012,
I was thinking of removing the carpet (who on earth wants carpet covered cabs!?) and have them professionally sprayed with bed-liner instead of tolex. Then make a grill and put handles and jacks on them and I would still have a cheaper cab that if I bought those crap Seismic Audio cabs. It would be a whole lot more durable too! But I need to make sure that the cabs will work first.

Most sub boxes are tuned to resonate at lower frequencies, but would it matter if my guitar speakers never get that low? I mean they're not subwoofers, I can't imagine that the shape of the box would make them THAT much bassier. Vintage 30's don't exactly have a huge bottom end either. And should I get ported boxes? I've been seeing a lot of ported 2x12's lately. Will add or take away some of the bass?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Put some kind of foam or rubber gaskets between your speakers and the box,if you can.yeah,port it somewhere for expansion.Does'nt have to be a big deal.just enough to let the air in and out.
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by xXBansheeXx
I was thinking of removing the carpet (who on earth wants carpet covered cabs!?) and have them professionally sprayed with bed-liner instead of tolex. Then make a grill and put handles and jacks on them and I would still have a cheaper cab that if I bought those crap Seismic Audio cabs. It would be a whole lot more durable too! But I need to make sure that the cabs will work first.

Most sub boxes are tuned to resonate at lower frequencies, but would it matter if my guitar speakers never get that low? I mean they're not subwoofers, I can't imagine that the shape of the box would make them THAT much bassier. Vintage 30's don't exactly have a huge bottom end either. And should I get ported boxes? I've been seeing a lot of ported 2x12's lately. Will add or take away some of the bass?

I like the Bedliner Idea... Never thought of that... As far as venting goes.. Panhead's right.. but if you get a hole saw and a drill and put 1 or two 1 1/2 inch holes, in the front, it'd be Vented enough..

what makes sub boxes designed for lower frequencies, is baffleing on the inside... to direct the sub sonic frequencies.. (not all sub cabs have them) This box doesn't appear to have any of that.. I think it would work great... (thinking about it my self now,,,)
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
The spray on bedliner works great,but you need some kind of primer.I put it on something straight,and it peeled off in sheets.Just read their can I guess.I did'nt
I always wanted to take one of those day-glo Elvis or bullfighter paintings and make a grille out of it,then wait for somebody to tell me it was cool.I took a drive-in movie speaker and made an air cleaner for my bike.I even used the volume knob for a choke knob.It was really hard on my knee but it looked cool.panhead