Determining key signature is something I dont really understand. I am currently enrolled in music fundamentals, and I need to write out a 16 measure monophonic melody that my teacher will play for the class on piano. I have the time signature, which is 3/8 and melody figured out. I just need help determining key signature.

I know accidentals factor in to this. I have 1 F# and 2 D#s, no other accidentals. As for naturals, I use all 7 (A,B,C,D,E,F,G) in the melody. This was something simple I wrote on guitar, so I can tab it out if you need more info. Thanks in advance if you can help me out! I want to guess its in key of G or C
Well since you're using all of the naturals, I'd call it C and then put accidentals on the notes that would be an F# and a D# when you get to them. As you described it, it won't fit cleanly into one key signature.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I totally forgot until just now, my teacher said it cannot be in the key of C... what would the next best key sig be?
Quote by chronic_stp
I totally forgot until just now, my teacher said it cannot be in the key of C... what would the next best key sig be?

Then hell, make it D and use natural signs on the F and D.

EDIT: Wait, that doesn't work. G and put a sharp on the D#s. I'm a dumbass, disregard that first part.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Mar 23, 2012,
You are in C major if the f# and d#'s are only accidentals. If you were in G major the f# would not be an accidental, it would be part of the key, the f natural would be however.
To confuse matters for you, If you are playing in c major and raise the 4th step of the scale f to f# you are now playing C lydian.
The simple thing to say is that the song is in C major, since you're calling the 2 sharps, "accidentals".

However, it's hard not to imagine a harmonic background. In other words, if you were allowed to play chords, what would they be, and where would they go? Second, on which note does the melody, "resolve"?

If you were to imagine the song in G major, then the F natural you play would be a "flat" (in a manner of speaking, it would still be F natural), since G major has a a sharp F, and the D#, would still be a sharp.

A reverse engineering approach might shed some light on this issue.

Very beginning pieces are sometimes written as a single line melody. Christmas carols are a great example.

Try playing a few of those melodies, and try to guess the underlying chords intuitively.

In those cases, the key signature is already written. Think of that as merely a hint, as to the harmonic structure.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 23, 2012,
In a fundamental theory class, they don't give a shit about resolution or chord tones or anything. Based on what he said, putting it in G with a natural on any F that isn't sharp and a D on ones that are sharp is exactly what his teacher is looking for.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by Reisgar42
In a fundamental theory class, they don't give a shit about resolution or chord tones or anything. Based on what he said, putting it in G with a natural on any F that isn't sharp and a D on ones that are sharp is exactly what his teacher is looking for.

Do you know why they don't care ? I've never taken any classes and to be honest, I don't understand the purpose of disregarding something so important.
Quote by Reisgar42

Where it resolves will tell him what key it is in, which gives him the key signature and where to put the accidentals.
I just took a picture of my work, hopefully the picture is not too bad. My melody is the first 3 stanzas, the last stanza just meets stupid requirements my teacher wanted.

Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
Do you know why they don't care ? I've never taken any classes and to be honest, I don't understand the purpose of disregarding something so important.

A fundamental theory class is 95% notation. Resolution, chord relations, and anything past scales is for Theory 1.
Quote by Joshua Garcia