Long story short: I ordered a loaded Fender body and a Yngwie Malmsteen neck, and the two aren't fitting together. The neck pocket on the body is too shallow and the screws don't line up.

It's also a very tight fit.
How should I go about fixing this?
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Depends, by how much is it to shallow? With it being to tight: careful sanding, then check it, then more careful sanding etc.
tpt
Neck heel is about an inch deep.
Neck pocket is just under 2 cm deep.
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
From the top of the body to the top of the fretboard should be roughly 1/4". So if the neck is 1" deep, and the neck pocket is 2 cm (about 3/4"), that sounds about right. The top of the fretboard isn't supposed to be flush with the top of the body.

As for the holes, I'd plug the holes in the neck with wood (small dowel or similar) and glue, and redrill new holes to line up with the neck plate/body holes.

It's OK if it fits tightly in the neck pocket.
Quote by stormin1155
From the top of the body to the top of the fretboard should be roughly 1/4". So if the neck is 1" deep, and the neck pocket is 2 cm (about 3/4"), that sounds about right. The top of the fretboard isn't supposed to be flush with the top of the body.

As for the holes, I'd plug the holes in the neck with wood (small dowel or similar) and glue, and redrill new holes to line up with the neck plate/body holes.

It's OK if it fits tightly in the neck pocket.

the bottom of the fretboard doesn't come all the way down. and i have to crank the bridge up so the action is almost 1/2"
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
I'm not following what the problem is. Please post a picture... it will save 1000 words.

Here's what it should look like.

As you can see, it is waaay too high....lol
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
could you have made the picture just a tiny bit bigger!?!?!?

Nothing wrong with your neck pocket. That neck is ridiculously thick. You would have to have to route the neck pocket deeper, and there is no way you can do that without messing up the finish. I'd send the neck back.
Quote by stormin1155
could you have made the picture just a tiny bit bigger!?!?!?

Nothing wrong with your neck pocket. That neck is ridiculously thick. You would have to have to route the neck pocket deeper, and there is no way you can do that without messing up the finish. I'd send the neck back.

no return warranty+there's no way im going to blow my money on another scalloped neck

So I think I'll just have a body made at Warmoth
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
Last edited by kandex at Mar 25, 2012,
Well, obviously the whole neck isn't that fat... must be just at the heel. Can you post a (smaller) picture of the whole neck from the side? If that is the case, I'd be more inclined to shave the heel down. A few minutes on a belt sander would do the trick. Refinishing that small area wouldn't be too hard.

Having Warmoth do a custom body for you will be expensive. And building a body to fit that neck would be like trying to make two wrongs equal a right.

Where did you get the neck from? I'd sure bring the issue to their attention.
(Invalid img)
Can't resize on my phone, apologies
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
Last edited by kandex at Mar 25, 2012,
What is the thickness on your neck? (Not including the fretboard). And what is the depth of the neck pocket? The guitars I have with bolt-on necks are roughly three quarters of an inch. Some vary and are slightly larger, and very slightly. If the neck is too thick your only real choice is to belt sand it down to size, and you need to make sure to do it straight. Then hand sand it smooth. I would also be worried about having a neck that already has screw holes that don't line up. You definitely do not want to screw it in if the new holes will be really close to the old ones. Did you buy the neck used?
I was hoping to see a bit more of the neck. what is the neck thickness at the 12th fret and at the first fret (including the fretboard, but not the fret)? Sorry to say, but that neck looks pretty rough. The fret ends look like they could hurt someone, and the scalloping is uneven. That's going to take some work to make it playable.
Ok so after some sleuthing, I found out it's not a Fender neck, but rather a used Musikraft neck that has been modified.
Dimensions are from the site:
"The heel width of our necks is 2 3/16" wide, 3" long and are 1.020" (+/- .010") tall."

So now that I've returned the body, what body would have a fitting neck pocket?
Thanks
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
The standard neck pocket depth for Fender-spec bodies is 15.8mm and the standard thickness for a Fender-spec neck is 25,4mm, also known as 1". That neck you have is only 0.020" thicker, which is 0.51mm - less than the thickness of most light picks.

As point of reference, there is usually a gap of roughly 3mm between the top of the body (not including pickguard) and the bottom of a 22nd fret overhang - your neck doesn't have that overhang, but you can see where the fretboard is glued on to the rest of the neck and it's along that line where the overhang would be. It looks like yours is at the right height.

In other words, the body pocket depth and the neck thickness were about as right as they should be for best action.

The neck pocket is meant to be very tight. Many luthiers and Fender collectors will tell you that the neck pocket should be so tight that once the neck is pushed in you shoudl be able to lift the guitar by the neck without needing to actually bolt it on, and that the bolts are just there for security. Lots of mass produced guitars do not have pockets this tight because it's too hard to get that accurate so consistently, but the point is that having a tight neck pocket is not a bad thing, it's a good thing.

A Warmoth body won't fit any better. They make their neck poickets to standard Fender spec, leaning towards the tight side. 3" long, 2 3/16" wide and 5/8" deep is the regular Fender Strat neck pocket spec.

As for the screw holes not lining up, did you check that while using a Fender neck plate? Because I've run in to Musikraft necks before and their 4-bolt neck holes line up fine with Fender's standard 4-bolt plates.

Sounds to me like you're just expecting a thinness and an ease of fit that doesn't exist.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The holes were the same measure, the neck just didn't slide in far enough.
Anyway, good to know this whole mess is sorted. Still thinking about getting a warmoth body though...i do love a good fiesta red
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
If you want to get the best fit, it'd be better to order a body from Musikraft.

If the neck wasn't fitting far in enough, take a look at the neck heel. That sounds like it may have a Telecaster-style squared heel, which will never fit in a Strat neck pocket. Strat necks can fit in a Tele pocket though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.