So I have a 1.7k guitar that I sort of recently got and I do plan to keep it for as long as I can. I don't plan on getting any other guitar as I love this one. I don't believe the model is important, but it's a solid body electric guitar. I have a gig bag that came along with it, so in a way it's sort of protected. Though I was considering getting a form fitting case for it, but that will run me 400-500. Is it worth it to buy such an expensive hard case for the said guitar? Or should I just stick with the gig bag? I guess I'm just worried about potential damage, humidity, temperature, etc. I live in California and the guitar doesn't leave the house much at all if that's a factor in choosing. I appreciate any opinions!
Well no, it didn't. It's an ESP Edwards E-U-140. It's basically a Potbelly shape, yet longer scale. Trust me... I've tried fitting in many cases and none fit it. I've contacted ESP Japan (it's Japan only) and they said I would need to order a custom form-fitting case for it and it would run for 400-500 including shipping.
I've tried most of the "universal" cases and they all won't accommodate the headstock and neck as it's set in quite a bit.
Quote by neostrifeX
Is it worth it to buy such an expensive hard case for the said guitar? Or should I just stick with the gig bag?

Its a bit like buying car insurance... would you rather have it and not need it - or need it and not have it?

Gig bags are incorrectly named because you would have to be crazy to gig using one... they are good for physically carrying the guitar but do very little to protect it (I will add there are some more expensive, heavy duty bags that aren't too bad... could be worth looking into.)

But at $500 that's over 25% of the guitars worth! Put it this way, if it rarely leaves your house and when it does you can safely transport it then perhaps its worth the risk - But as soon as you start hoarding it to jams, throwing into the back of cars etc. a hard case is a must!
Quote by rokket2005
get a hardshell universal bass case.

Or do this...
Quote by zero
Its a bit like buying car insurance... would you rather have it and not need it - or need it and not have it?

Gig bags are incorrectly named because you would have to be crazy to gig using one... they are good for physically carrying the guitar but do very little to protect it (I will add there are some more expensive, heavy duty bags that aren't too bad... could be worth looking into.)

But at $500 that's over 25% of the guitars worth! Put it this way, if it rarely leaves your house and when it does you can safely transport it then perhaps its worth the risk - But as soon as you start hoarding it to jams, throwing into the back of cars etc. a hard case is a must!

That's quite a good statement, I guess the only thing stopping me is the RIDICULOUS cost for the hard case. I mean 200 fine, 300... pushing it, but at 500 it's just outrageous. I guess I might end up getting the hard case though since the general consensus seems to say do so, though I was sure someone would of said otherwise haha.

Also I don't see how a bass case would work? I guess I've never looked inside of one so I'm clueless.
Last edited by neostrifeX at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by neostrifeX

Also I don't see how a bass case would work? I guess I've never looked inside of one so I'm clueless.

Im no base player but I cant see why one wouldn't work... especially if you get a non-molded generic type... if you have a big shop near you take your guitar in and see if they can find something that fits - even if you have to rip the guts out and re-cut some foam to keep it snug, its going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than $500.

Or contact some one in your area who builds road cases for amps and what not - they may be able to hook you up with something.
If the scale length is the issue then I think a bass case would work well. Hack in some foam in the loose spots, voila, generic case is now custom
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks for the suggestion with the bass cases guys! I'll try that out and see how it works out. It'll sure save my wallet from getting murdered haha.
Let us know how you get on... I'm really interested to see how it works out
You should be able to get a professional flight case for less than US$500.00, and they are absolute bitches to haul around. They're also unnecessary unless you are a touring musician and you've got a valuable instrument to protect. A top-quality SKB molded case will cost you about US$130.00 and it should protect your instrument from anything short of a roadside bomb.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley