I want to finally upgrade to a tube head amp, I've been playing a combo amp through a cab as an extension speaker, but I'm ready to make it a half stack. I'm looking for a tube head, at least 100w, and Under $700. Recommendations? Thanks,
Are you playing stadiums? If not, then you most likely don't need 100w. Just saying.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
Are you playing stadiums? If not, then you most likely don't need 100w. Just saying.

There's such a little difference between 50w and 100w volume-wise that, if headroom is his concern, he might as well get 100w.

The best heads for under $700, in my opinion, would be one of the following:

Jet City Amps JCA100
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL, JCM 800, JCM 900 SL-X
Vox AC50, Night Train 50
Mesa Boogie DC, F series, Single/Dual Rec, Mark series
Peavey XXX, Ultra, 6505, 5150, JSX
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
New? Carvin V3M. 50 watts; three channels, multiple power settings, first-rate build quality and excellent tones. US$600.00. Done.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/V3M

I seriously doubt you'll do better for the price, unless you find something especially good at a great used price.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by GibsonMan321
What is it with you idiots? I own a 100w tube amp and I've never played in a stadium in my life. 1.) Amps have volume knobs and 2.) Some of us prefer headroom. I don't know where this "100 watt amps are only for big arenas" bullshit came from but I wish people would shut the fuck up with it. It's complete bullshit.

TS: I would like to suggest to you a Jet City JCA100h but what genres do you play? I'd assume metal since your profile shows that you have a BC Rich Warlock.

What type of metal do you play? Any bands who's tones you want similar to? Also, are you willing to buy used?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
What is it with you idiots? I own a 100w tube amp and I've never played in a stadium in my life. 1.) Amps have volume knobs and 2.) Some of us prefer headroom. I don't know where this "100 watt amps are only for big arenas" bullshit came from but I wish people would shut the **** up with it. It's complete bullshit.

Agreed. A 100-watt amp can be used in a number of settings and do just fine. I've never regretted buying or using them. Granted, a smaller amp is often enough, but that is no reason to insist that a 100-watt amplifier is somehow unsuitable to anything short of playing Madison Square Garden. And sometimes amplifier power is a lot like money: it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You want us to recommend amps, but you gave us no information whatsoever about what kind of music you play, what you want to sound like, or where you're located. There's a bit of issue there.

@GibsonMan321 power tube distortion is not suitable for many genres of music. Just because you don't need 100W doesn't mean there aren't people who don't.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Lol i have my 100 Watt Carvin V3 cranked half the time in my own room and nobody gives a shit, maybe i'm just a lucky one though
Quote by GibsonMan321

Why would you need 100W to play a stadium?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GibsonMan321

Ac30's are what, 30 watts? those things play stadiums all the time. Even if you had a 100 watt amp you'd most likely not have it cranked, keep it at a reasonable setting and mic it
Who tries to fill a stadium directly off their guitar amp? What is this? 1954? That's the last place you'd need a big amp. Little dives with crap foldback where you are sitting on top of a drummer that always beats the crap out of his skins is where you need volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GibsonMan321

It takes 10 times the power to double the perceived sound level (a 6db increase in sound pressure). Going from 50W to 100W is only a 100% increase in power. It would only end up being 10% louder (0.6db). That's theoretical of course; in reality it's most likely even less because speakers aren't exactly linear when it comes to input power vs. acoustic output.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Mar 24, 2012,