Hopefully guys my situation differs enough to warrant a new thread about this overposted topic, but i need a metal pedal.

My Gear is an ESP LTD F-50 and a Marhsall JTM 60 which is all tube, took out the diode clipping, which produces good blues and rock overdrive/distortion but am looking for something to turn my amp into a metal monster. If it is not possible for a pedal to do this, im also planning on doing some heavy modding to try and get the tone i want.

I want the sound to hit NWOBHM stuff like Priest and Maiden, as well as more thrashy stuff Megadeth/Metallica and maybe even shred, like randy rhoads( i know hes not "shred" but he really shreds), Malmsteen, Buckethead etc. Even possibly modern Metal like Lamb of God.

My budget is to about $200 Australian but if there is the perfect pedal for my needs above that then suggest away.

I dont even know if this ask is to big but theres no harm in asking it.

EDIT: my amp has no real bottom end, even with turning the bass eq up full and mucking around with the prescence knob doesn't really help, so keep that in mind
Last edited by esp 4 life at Mar 23, 2012,
Wampler Triple Wreck
Tone Czar Openhaus
Goosoniqueworx Seventhheaven

These are the ones i usually hear about when someone asks for a metal in a pedal type thing.
Get a Boss HM-2. Just a warning though, the tones you get out of a HM-2 into a tube Marshall may be too brutal for your tastes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Mad Proffesor Mighty Red Distortion CB.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Blackstar HT-Blackfire, Gus g's signature seems nice actually. But well, if you look for a real pedal, Mesa V-Twin. It can either be used like preamp from fx, I guess that's what you'll need for your amp.
i dont like the whole idea of "metal" pedals, but i do like the idea of getting a "metal" amp and simply adding overdrive , "metal" pedals are just going to make your distortion sound like sandpaper rubbing on my ass
I do like the idea of a tube powered pedal, it's like adding a gain stage in a tube amp, and it would be the closest thing to something like a mesa or high gain Marshall for that tube metal sound that a pedal could give, without actually buying a new amp. Has anyone tried that preamp tube that has gain stages built into the actual tube to build preamp distortion, I was thinking about that aswell.
Quote by ticktockboom
Wampler Triple Wreck
Tone Czar Openhaus
Goosoniqueworx Seventhheaven

These are the ones i usually hear about when someone asks for a metal in a pedal type thing.

Actually the Tone Czar Dove is a better dist pedal option. The Open Haus features a modern tone, whereas the Dove has a "older" sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by esp 4 life
I do like the idea of a tube powered pedal, it's like adding a gain stage in a tube amp, and it would be the closest thing to something like a mesa or high gain Marshall for that tube metal sound that a pedal could give, without actually buying a new amp. Has anyone tried that preamp tube that has gain stages built into the actual tube to build preamp distortion, I was thinking about that aswell.

Mesa V-Twin is really hard to find, but it's perfect. It has 2 tubes. One is drive tube other one is power amp tube so it also changes your clean tones either and is portable. I did use it once, but except for that I have experiences with Behringer VT-999, which is tube distortion pedal, awesome sound.
Quote by ragingkitty
Actually the Tone Czar Dove is a better dist pedal option. The Open Haus features a modern tone, whereas the Dove has a "older" sound.

haha my bad, I'm not huge into pedals but I've lurked around here long enough to have heard those pedals recommended many a time.
Will an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer or a tube overdrive pedal give out metal type sounds or is the clipping the only way to get that sound?