I recently bought a Jazzmaster, and the thing hums like crazy. Transitioning from humbuckers to single coils (previously playing a Les Paul), I expected some noise, but this guitar is out of control when using any dirt. I've been using the middle position a lot more often as a result, which actually sounds pretty good (I've never been too fond of the middle position of my other guitars). Still, I'd love to be able to play just the neck or bridge pup without all this noise.

Any suggestions? I have no technical skill, and am debating whether or not to open the guitar up and do a grounding/shielding job myself. It's a new guitar and I don't want to mess around with it too much. Is this worth taking in, and will a guitar shop even do grounding/shielding?
Google "Shielding a Jazzmaster" and look around. Seriously, you'll find some good tips.

I am curious as to what series yours is from (AVRI, MIM, MIJ/CIJ, other), as I know they're all a little different in regards to the type of shielding (If any) and the construction of the pickups. Pups vary pretty hugely between Jazzmaster models, and especially in the case of the Japanese reissues, some can be pretty noisy on those bridge and neck positions.

Personally I've found my Jazzmaster to be pretty quiet (Just recently bought mine too!). Also, I've never known a shop to do shielding but I don't see why some wouldn't be able to. I've never been in a position to ask.
Gear
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Fender Deluxe Reverb
Jaguar | Stratocaster | Telecaster | Jazzmaster
Thanks for the advice, Kahn. I'm gonna read up on some websites and hopefully give this a shot over the next week. I bought a Classic Player, which I believe are made in Mexico. I'm loving the guitar otherwise, looks and plays great. I know I'll have to get used to some hum with this guitar, but I'm hoping I can curb it to a more manageable level.
Big single coils like that will pick up all sorts of 60 cycle hum, and with a lot of gain it can be nearly unbearable. Try moving to another room to play. If that makes a difference, then you can start looking for the stuff in the room you normally play that could be causing the hum.... computer/tv screens, florescent lighting are two of the biggest culprits... some houses are just noisy.

Try shielding it as WrathofKahn suggested. If that doesn't work, you may need to get a noise gate pedal.
Recommended threads
Frigid
Fate_of_Mind
Last post:
by Fate_of_Mind
Catch-Up TV
SuperSquirrel
Last post:
by *Juno*